Idle problem? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Idle problem?

When I turn on my car my idle is off like it goes up and down and sounds like its cammed. My friend said It can be the plugs. I bought the car 2 months ago and want to do a full tune up on it. What stuff do I need I knw oil, oil filter, spark plugs, wires what else?
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Re: Idle problem?

As for the idle issue, I would suggest that your Idle Air Control Valve needs to be cleaned before you start throwing money at it. How to Clean the IAC on a 1995 Mustang GT | eHow.com The year may be different, but the procedure is the same... You would be surprised how this little piece of crap can screw things up when it gets dirty... Buy a can of Gumout carb cleaner and spray to your hearts content... I lay mine flat so that the carb cleaner pools inside and let it sit for a while before draining it and reassembling.

For the tune up, you may want to add a new fuel filter to that list of parts. Plugs, wires (maybe), oil and filter, air filter... check the belt while you are under the hood... clean the battery terminals...

Just going through a list of the things I inspect... and adding my 2 cents
Old 06-08-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831
When I turn on my car my idle is off like it goes up and down and sounds like its cammed. My friend said It can be the plugs. I bought the car 2 months ago and want to do a full tune up on it. What stuff do I need I knw oil, oil filter, spark plugs, wires what else?
Before you start your tune-up, try the idle re-learn. I did this for mine and it made the car idle really smooth, including when the A/C is on. Really made a difference.

Disconnect NEG from battery for 30min

Reconnect and start car, let idle as eng gets to operating temp. Let it idle a little over a minute

Turn on A/C to MAX, let idle little over a minute, turn off A/C

Then drive the car for at least 10 miles
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Before you start your tune-up, try the idle re-learn. I did this for mine and it made the car idle really smooth, including when the A/C is on. Really made a difference.

Reconnect and start car, let idle as eng gets to operating temp. Let it idle a little over a minute

+1 this works! Done it to mine it runs great now!
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John
As for the idle issue, I would suggest that your Idle Air Control Valve needs to be cleaned before you start throwing money at it. How to Clean the IAC on a 1995 Mustang GT | eHow.com The year may be different, but the procedure is the same... You would be surprised how this little piece of crap can screw things up when it gets dirty... Buy a can of Gumout carb cleaner and spray to your hearts content... I lay mine flat so that the carb cleaner pools inside and let it sit for a while before draining it and reassembling.

For the tune up, you may want to add a new fuel filter to that list of parts. Plugs, wires (maybe), oil and filter, air filter... check the belt while you are under the hood... clean the battery terminals...

Just going through a list of the things I inspect... and adding my 2 cents
Thanks I will buy tht then when I go to orileys and check if tht helps.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Quote:

Ok thnks ima do it real quick see how it turns out thnks again

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Hey guys I did what u said in disconnecting the neg on the batt for 30 min and ran it afterwards. It still does it. Its still idling like its cammed, rpms keep on going up and down.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Hey guys I did what u said in disconnecting the neg on the batt for 30 min and ran it afterwards. It still does it. Its still idling like its cammed, rpms keep on going up and down.[/QUOTE]

If you did the idle re-learn as written, then at least you ruled out the simple stuff first. Do you have a cold air kit on it? If you did, did you replace from the stock setup? These have a screen in the before the MAF that will disperse the air more evenly across the MAF. Some ppl have some probs when this is removed. To test this you could try putting the screen back, if you wanted another easy item to try before your tuneup.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hey guys I did what u said in disconnecting the neg on the batt for 30 min and ran it afterwards. It still does it. Its still idling like its cammed, rpms keep on going up and down.
If you did the idle re-learn as written, then at least you ruled out the simple stuff first. Do you have a cold air kit on it? If you did, did you replace from the stock setup? These have a screen in the before the MAF that will disperse the air more evenly across the MAF. Some ppl have some probs when this is removed. To test this you could try putting the screen back, if you wanted another easy item to try before your tuneup.
[/QUOTE]

Yes I do I have a bbk CAI. Screen? Like the block off plate? I don't get what you're saying
Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular

[[/QUOTE]

Yes I do I have a bbk CAI. Screen? Like the block off plate? I don't get what you're saying[/QUOTE]

it will look something like this
Old 06-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
[
Yes I do I have a bbk CAI. Screen? Like the block off plate? I don't get what you're saying[/QUOTE]

it will look something like this[/QUOTE]

And

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Quote:
[

Sorry sent the message by accident. But no I don't see one is it supposed to be in my intake ?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Thanks I will buy tht then when I go to orileys and check if tht helps.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Ok thnks ima do it real quick see how it turns out thnks again

Is your ac on while it's doing this??

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT

Is your ac on while it's doing this??
Nope it's off
Old 06-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
[

I have K & N cai . And I never put this screen on my intake since I install it long time ago. Nothing is wrong in my car. What do u think put the screen or not?
Siendly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a vid of how it's running right now if it helps.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I think if you were running before, like right after you installed the CAI and it's just now running funny with, it prob has nothing to do with the screen. The screen prob happens right after you remove the screen. It just doesn't happen to everyone. Don't know why. Here's more pics of the screen.

Attachment 53817

Nissan, but same idea

Attachment 53818

Broken screen or air straightener
Old 06-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think if you were running before, like right after you installed the CAI and it's just now running funny with, it prob has nothing to do with the screen. The screen prob happens right after you remove the screen. It just doesn't happen to everyone. Don't know why. Here's more pics of the screen.

Nissan, but same idea

I bought the car 2 months ago with the CAI in it already. Ima do the full tune up on it n gonna change the plugs hopefully tht cures the problem
Old 06-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

I bought the car 2 months ago with the CAI in it already. Ima do the full tune up on it n gonna change the plugs hopefully tht cures the problem
Has it had this prob since you bought it?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Has it had this prob since you bought it?
Nope it's ran perfect. Yesterday going to get some gas it started doing it. I was running low and gas light came up. Then when I got to gas station it started doing it like it was dying. Got home and kept doing it on idle...
Old 06-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #18
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Nope it's ran perfect. Yesterday going to get some gas it started doing it. I was running low and gas light came up. Then when I got to gas station it started doing it like it was dying. Got home and kept doing it on idle...
Good! Not the air screen thingy then. Enjoy doing the tuneup. Hopefully that gets your prob taken care of. Be careful with the COP's if you haven't messed with those before. Those connectors on the wire harness break easy. I broke two
Old 06-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nissan, but same idea

Azure , quick question. Not trying to steal your thread venomous..

So the it doesn't matter even if you don't put the screen on the MAF? Do you think there is nothing wrong happen? Right now it run smoothly. I'm just curious with that screen . But I'm running with my CAI without screen long time ago. Thanks

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siendly22

So it doesn't matter even if you don't put the screen on the MAF? Do you think there is nothing wrong happen? Right now it run smoothly. I'm just curious with that screen . But I'm running with my CAI without screen long time ago. Thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #20
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

So the it doesn't matter even if you don't put the screen on the MAF? Do you think there is nothing wrong happen? Right now it run smoothly. I'm just curious with that screen . But I'm running with my CAI without screen long time ago. Thanks

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------
Some ppl, when they put their CAI on, it runs really bad when they startup. They put the screen back it and it goes away. It could be an altitude thing maybe. This is not often. My screen is gone and never did have this prob. I'm in Indiana, which is roughly 900 to 1000ft.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Some ppl, when they put their CAI on, it runs really bad when they startup. They put the screen back it and it goes away. It could be an altitude thing maybe. This is not often. My screen is gone and never did have this prob. I'm in Indiana, which is roughly 900 to 1000ft.
Oh okay, so it doesn't matter if you don't have screen on the CAI. Thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good! Not the air screen thingy then. Enjoy doing the tuneup. Hopefully that gets your prob taken care of. Be careful with the COP's if you haven't messed with those before. Those connectors on the wire harness break easy. I broke two
Ok yea thnks. Should I just get oem or some better ones. I do plan on running royal purple if tht makes a diff
Old 06-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #23
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Ok yea thnks. Should I just get oem or some better ones. I do plan on running royal purple if tht makes a diff
Yup, I use Royal Purple 5W20. The consensus around here is that the stock COP are good. I think I would have to agree, but that's my opinion. I haven't tried others to prove the stockers wrong.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yup, I use Royal Purple 5W20. The consensus around here is that the stock COP are good. I think I would have to agree, but that's my opinion. I haven't tried others to prove the stockers wrong.
Ok solid. I got 125k miles. Can I use 5w20 too?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

I've only got 37k on mine so we might want to get some others to chime in. 5w20 should be fine, but ya never know.

Anybody using full synthetic oil with 100k+ miles?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I use royal purple 5w30 . Run smoothly bro
Old 06-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I use royal purple 5w30 . Run smoothly bro
How many miles on ures?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How many miles on ures?
My 04 it's only 55 miles.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Quote:

My 04 it's only 55 miles.
55K miles
Old 06-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Not quite 100k but I think you'll be fine running the 5w20. With that said if you want peace of mind, maybe some 5w30. Wouldn't go past that just my 2cents.

Edit: lol as I post that I refreshed phone and seen siendlys post
5-Speed-IUP, Predator tuned, k&n cai,Mrt shifter,Hooker Lts-o/f x-pipe, KC clutch,Alum flywheel,FR 4:10's. Upr rear control arms. Forged Teksid Eaton swap in progress!

WickedStangs Mustang Club
Tulsa,OK Chapter President
TtownMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMach1
Not quite 100k but I think you'll be fine running the 5w20. With that said if you want peace of mind, maybe some 5w30. Wouldn't go past that just my 2cents.

Yea I guess to be on the safe side I'll go with 5w30
Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea I guess to be on the safe side I'll go with 5w30
Good decision! +1

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMach1

Lol
Old 06-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I am running 5w30 motorcraft in mine and it has 106000
sally2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #33
Lorraine's driver

Regular

In my 87 GT, I put 10W40 full synthetic and I spring leaks all over the place. That was my biggest concern, but these 4.6 mod engines seem to be pretty tight.

Anybody spring any leaks after switching to full synthetic?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Haha omg it was a fricken vacuum leak!!! There was a 1 inch tear on it. I never realized it until I popped my hood again n there it was lol
Old 06-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #35
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Haha omg it was a fricken vacuum leak!!! There was a 1 inch tear on it. I never realized it until I popped my hood again n there it was lol
Good! Glad you found out what it was

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT