Long Startup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Long Startup

Hen I tun the key and push the clutch in it seems like my 97 gt takes awhile for the engine to start. I can hear it turning over, but it takes 2-3 times longer than it should. Any suggestions or reasons why this happens. I have never not had it start.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: Long Startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony View Post
Hen I tun the key and push the clutch in it seems like my 97 gt takes awhile for the engine to start. I can hear it turning over, but it takes 2-3 times longer than it should. Any suggestions or reasons why this happens. I have never not had it start.
my 98 does it sometimes, never failed to start either though, as longs its starting im not gonna worry about it. lol
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sounds like a fuel problem but not sure. When u turn the key do u hear the pump kick on? If so then i would check from the fitting on the fuel rail if u get pressure as in enough pressure to fill the lines. Just a suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Sounds like a fuel problem but not sure. When u turn the key do u hear the pump kick on? If so then i would check from the fitting on the fuel rail if u get pressure as in enough pressure to fill the lines. Just a suggestion.
yeah mine has good fuel pressure, idk what the problem is. lol
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

okie, here is something you can try. When you first get in the car turn the key to the on position for like 3-4 secs and then try to start the car and let me know what it does?

Does it still take longer to start?

I have seen a crank sensor cause a delay or long start. The sensor isnt bad enough to cause it not to start or check eng light.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00
okie, here is something you can try. When you first get in the car turn the key to the on position for like 3-4 secs and then try to start the car and let me know what it does?

Does it still take longer to start?

I have seen a crank sensor cause a delay or long start. The sensor isnt bad enough to cause it not to start or check eng light.
Could also be your starter motor?
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

no....because it wouldnt actually be turning over if it was the start motor.

It could be a number of things thats why I ask him to turn the key on for about three to 4 secs and then try to start it. You can even cycle the key three or four times and then attempt to start it. If after doing this and it starts normal then its prolly going to be a fuel sending unit that sits ontop of the fuel pump its self.

After doing above and it still does the same thing then possible crank sensor which I would replace first because its cheaper. Yes, a crank sensor can start to go back and cause a delay start without cutting the check eng light on I have seen it alot in some cars that came in the shop.

Dont buy anything yet and try what I said above and tell me what happens....
Old 06-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Dirty fuel injectors
mcvicar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvicar04 View Post
Dirty fuel injectors
Possible, but I would think the engine would have a miss or acting up instead of just on start up.

Run some Seaform in the gas tank, to me its the best stuff IMO.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Dumb suggestion but here goes.....we all suggesting the other things like fuel and ckp but i thought how bout battery? Maybe its great on voltage but watabout amperage? Or the terminals to it? Like i said dumb suggestion but im goin by kiss.... keep it simple stupid ( i remind me of it every time lol )
Old 06-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Dumb suggestion but here goes.....we all suggesting the other things like fuel and ckp but i thought how bout battery? Maybe its great on voltage but watabout amperage? Or the terminals to it? Like i said dumb suggestion but im goin by kiss.... keep it simple stupid ( i remind me of it every time lol )
naw, think if it was the battery and it wasnt putting out the right amps then the starter wouldnt work causing the engine not to turn over.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Possible, but I would think the engine would have a miss or acting up instead of just on start up.

Run some Seaform in the gas tank, to me its the best stuff IMO.
Can you put seafoam in on top of a full tank?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Can you put seafoam in on top of a full tank?
Yep, sure can but I like to put that in first before I go fill up because it mixes it up better.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Yep, sure can but I like to put that in first before I go fill up because it mixes it up better.
What kinda fireworks should I expect? Just the white smoke?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
What kinda fireworks should I expect? Just the white smoke?
You shouldnt see anything at all....
Old 06-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
no....because it wouldnt actually be turning over if it was the start motor.

It could be a number of things thats why I ask him to turn the key on for about three to 4 secs and then try to start it. You can even cycle the key three or four times and then attempt to start it. If after doing this and it starts normal then its prolly going to be a fuel sending unit that sits ontop of the fuel pump its self.

After doing above and it still does the same thing then possible crank sensor which I would replace first because its cheaper. Yes, a crank sensor can start to go back and cause a delay start without cutting the check eng light on I have seen it alot in some cars that came in the shop.

Dont buy anything yet and try what I said above and tell me what happens....
I have always put the key in the on position until I heard the fuel pump turn off. It almost seems like this slows it down from when I go straight to the start position. I haven't tried cycling it a couple times yet, but I will give that a try.
Where is the crank sensor if I end up taking that route.

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

[QUOTE="southernstang00"]no....because it wouldnt actually be turning over if it was the start motor.

Looks like I need to change the fuel sending unit you speak of. Just want to know how much $ I'm looking at and Is it something that I can do with a little automotive knowledge or am I going to have to take it to a shop.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

ohok, well try the cycling the key a few time to see what it does. Um, far as the sending unit if it is like my setup up on a 2000 GT then its sits on top of the fuel pump module and im not sure if it alone can be replaced. On my setup the whole module has to be bought so that can be pricey and far as replacing it you can google it and get directions on how to do it cuz its easy.

Cycle the key a few times and then start it and let me know what it does....
Old 06-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ohok, well try the cycling the key a few time to see what it does. Um, far as the sending unit if it is like my setup up on a 2000 GT then its sits on top of the fuel pump module and im not sure if it alone can be replaced. On my setup the whole module has to be bought so that can be pricey and far as replacing it you can google it and get directions on how to do it cuz its easy.

Cycle the key a few times and then start it and let me know what it does....
It started up like it should
Old 06-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Then its the fuel sending unit....you can go to a parts store or even Ford and see if you can buy just the sending unit but chances are you will have to buy the whole fuel pump Module.

We have a 06 nissan sentra that does the same thing and its been doing it for 2 years now and had no problems. You can either wait until it doesnt start at all or replace it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT