98 gt for 04 cobra - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
98 gt for 04 cobra

Ok so I have a 98 gt thats paid off n also a 97 Chevy 1500 with a pro comp lift n brand new 35's that's also paid off. I am considering selling both to get a 03-04 cobra I'm wondering if this would be a smart move. I'm nineteen n work at a car dealership and make pretty good money. hopefully I won't have to take out a loan for more than 3 with selling both vehicals. I have a bout 8 grand into my gt hoping to get 4500-6 out of it mods include bassani offroad xpype no cats, 410 gears msd ignition kit, steeda underdrives, steeda mach short throw,upper and lower control arms and lowered eibach kit. The 97 1500 I have about 10 in hoping to get 8-10 (superclean for a 97) Btw I also have a 96 trecel as my dd currently which I will be keeping advice please
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120615_193918.png
Views:	161
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	54906   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120615_194513.png
Views:	174
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	54909  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120615_194556.png
Views:	190
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	54910  
silver98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: 98 gt for 04 cobra

Both of your current rides look real clean...nice job on them.

Normally my biggest concern would be losing the truck as a dd but since you have that high mpg trecel than I say go for it!

As long as you know you won't need the truck for its "truck" abilities later on...a cobra isn't the best choice for hauling and mudding lol.

Keep in mind that it's still a buyer's market so while you might be able to get a cobra for a good price, that also means you might not get what you want for your GT and Silverado.

Say you get 5 for the GT and 8 for the Chevy, so ~13k cash to put towards a cobra.

03/04 cobras' pricing is really dependent on condition, mileage and mods.

A near stock, low mileage cobra will be ~20k and above.

Fair mileage cars with some mods seem to be holding out around 17-19k.

Your location determines prices as well.

So unless you find a real good deal on one plan on financing more than 3k...

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everything u said was a very valid point... I bought my truck in winter thinking I needed this monster with huge tires and big v8 when realistically my trecel does fine in the snow so that truck has done nothing but collect dust since I bought it n I figured some one could use the truck like its meant to be not just takin out twice a month.....do u think its smart for anyone that has a mustang and is a huge mustang person to upgrade to a cobra if they have a opportunity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Living up here in Wisconsin I'm glad I have the 4wd truck...plus I use it to haul stuff both in the bed and with a trailer, but if I didn't need it I'd definitely have another mustang

As a fellow mustang owner/fanatic, and I'm sure many other stangers will agree, if you have the opportunity or ability to pick up an 03/04 cobra, or any late model cobra for that matter, do it

They are great cars and the difference in power/feel/looks from the v6's/GT's is huge.

I like all mustangs, 4 banger, v6, v8 etc they're all mustangs in my book, but the cobras are the pinnacle of the model...they offer the most bang for your buck.

I think every v6/GT owner hopes to get into a cobra one day...

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 06-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hell ya man thank u! Uve definatly helped me sway my decision.... It's always good to get a second opinion and from someone with more knowledge
Old 06-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Living up here in Wisconsin I'm glad I have the 4wd truck...plus I use it to haul stuff both in the bed and with a trailer, but if I didn't need it I'd definitely have another mustang

As a fellow mustang owner/fanatic, and I'm sure many other stangers will agree, if you have the opportunity or ability to pick up an 03/04 cobra, or any late model cobra for that matter, do it

I think every v6/GT owner hopes to get into a cobra one day...
i def agree with you on that because I just got my first cobra a few months ago. Its not supercharged or anything but it is clean as hell and a VERY sharp car I love it.I picked it up for a good price for the miles that is on it and im the third owner and the previous two owners were old guys and too very good care of it so I bought it. I wouldnt mind having a 03 04 cobra but I dont want another car note and plus i have a GT thats about to be supercharged and just as fast as the cobra when I get done with it.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver98gt View Post
Hell ya man thank u! Uve definatly helped me sway my decision.... It's always good to get a second opinion and from someone with more knowledge
Hey no problem dude! Definitely keep us updated on your decision and if you have any spec/technical questions about any year cobra or a potential car you're looking at, don't hesitate to ask us..we'll help you out best we can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post
i def agree with you on that because I just got my first cobra a few months ago. Its not supercharged or anything but it is clean as hell and a VERY sharp car I love it.I picked it up for a good price for the miles that is on it and im the third owner and the previous two owners were old guys and too very good care of it so I bought it. I wouldnt mind having a 03 04 cobra but I dont want another car note and plus i have a GT thats about to be supercharged and just as fast as the cobra when I get done with it.
Very nice...you really can't go wrong with a 4v, great engine...but then you really can't go wrong with a s/c 2v either,

What can I say you got the best of both worlds

Old 06-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

Hey no problem dude! Definitely keep us updated on your decision and if you have any spec/technical questions about any year cobra or a potential car you're looking at, don't hesitate to ask us..we'll help you out best we can!

Very nice...you really can't go wrong with a 4v, great engine...but then you really can't go wrong with a s/c 2v either,

I definitely will keep u guys informed
Old 06-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post

Yea thats true and it isnt your normal stock 2v either so it will work out.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So we got in a super clean 03 black cobra at my job and we have
16 into it. It has the following mods ported supeecharger spotted drilled roters lowered a few inches and a smaller pulley.....it has 69k on it my only dilema is the guy took it home to take the "radio" out cuz it had a double din in it but if he puts the car back to stock would it be bad on the car and still be worth 16 or not?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well generally with 03/04 Cobras the closer to stock they are the better, both for modding and resale. At least in my opinion.

I guess you'd have to define "back to stock"...just cosmetic or is he going to return the blower back to its stock pulley? Sounds like he is pulling as many mods that he can to either sell himself or put on another car.

$16k seems high to me with ~70k miles simply because cobras appeal to be a better platform for modding when they have lower miles, less wear and tear, just less use/abuse in general. But, they also hold value better than any other model stang, so keep that it mind as well.

One key aspect is that the car's mechanical nature is sound. Tuning is critical for those cobras and even a pulley change requires an alteration in a/f.

So before you buy make sure the car is tuned correctly, and also ask/listen for the infamous driver's side head "tick".

I know there's a ton of other things to look for but my knowleadge is limited regarding those cars...I'm sure one of the cobra owners could give you much more info.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

What about a bright orange 04 cobra completely stock I mean everything with 34k for 21000 we've got two in now
Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
What about a bright orange 04 cobra completely stock I mean everything with 34k for 21000 we've got two in now
That's actually a good price for that mileage if the car is as clean and mechanically sound as the mileage suggests. At 19, however, I wouldn't want to put that much money into a car because I have bigger fish to fry like student loans and such. But if you have the funds then go for it!

And actually... if you do get around $12-13k for your GT and truck to put toward a $20k Cobra... Paying off the last bit in installments would be a great move to build up your credit. You also have to keep in mind that if you do that then your Cobra will have to be under a namebrand full-coverage insurance which can double or triple what you're paying for it a month.

And if it's an consolation.. I really like your Truck and GT. Super clean cars; I'd keep the truck, honestly... Always great to have it around.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ya man It's just I started with a v6 and now the gt I'm just ready to shoot for a cobra and I'm thinking I'm not gonna go to college bc I already have the job I wanna do I work at a car dealership and am slowly making my way up to a salesman... The only problem I'm having right now is getting my truck sold in time to buy this car bc I don't wanna trade it in bc they won't give me crap for it:....... And what u mean by the insurance thing u think that my insurance will be triple as much as my payments on the car? Even if I'm second or third driver on the car my parents being first of course?

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Btw I'm new to this website and am loving how cool everyone is on here usually on other forums ppl just wanna call u dumb and start arguements! N I enjoy getting advice from u older guys it helps out Soooo much
Old 06-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ForumRunner_20120629_000736.png
Views:	122
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	56897

Name:	ForumRunner_20120629_000750.png
Views:	124
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	56898
Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Ya man It's just I started with a v6 and now the gt I'm just ready to shoot for a cobra and I'm thinking I'm not gonna go to college bc I already have the job I wanna do I work at a car dealership and am slowly making my way up to a salesman... The only problem I'm having right now is getting my truck sold in time to buy this car bc I don't wanna trade it in bc they won't give me crap for it:....... And what u mean by the insurance thing u think that my insurance will be triple as much as my payments on the car? Even if I'm second or third driver on the car my parents being first of course?

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Btw I'm new to this website and am loving how cool everyone is on here usually on other forums ppl just wanna call u dumb and start arguements! N I enjoy getting advice from u older guys it helps out Soooo much
Haha, I'm not much older; I'm barely twenty-one.

And I would take my time and get what I want for the truck and GT because you shouldn't ever be in a rush because you will always find a car for a good price if you be patient and look hard enough. Just stay motivated!

As far as full-coverage I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance was over $400 a month... My mother's '04 F-150 was full coverage at $495/month and she didn't have tickets or problems, and this was in '06-'08.

Also I would recommend going to college... Being a Car Salesman is awesome but making a career out of it is very volatile. Always good to have that degree too because you'll instantly make more money as well as be a bit smarter than most people! Haha. And with all the online colleges that are accredited like Phoenix and Devry... Getting your degree is cheaper and easier than ever.

And that comp orange cobra is gorgeous!

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I've never thought about if the insurance on a cobra would be more then a gt. It couldn't possibly be much more though. I have full coverage with $250 deductibles through progressive and I only pay $110 a month with another car on as well. It cost just as much to insure my wife's 04 neon as my gt.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Do cobras have specific stamps on them that i should be looking for to identify if its a real cobra
Old 07-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

On the pass side valve cover they usually do.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT