Help !!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Help !!!

Folks , need your help . My car still not running normal. I'm only using my 2004 v6 twice a week. Problem is , my check engine light blinks on my dash and the car shakes when I stop seems the engine Is dying but it's not and I smell something bad on my exhaust.

This problem happen last week , the car running dual exhaust with an X pipe and flowmaster 44 series's or long time. Then last week I decided to replace my X pipe to an H pipe for a change. So after they install the H pipe the car running okay and strong everything is normal. Then the next day morning drove my car for less than a mile then suddenly my car acting crazy. It shaking and there a bad smell on my exhaust system and the check engine light blinking. So I went home park my car and decided to disconnect my negative terminal , because I'm guessing maybe when I install my H pipe I didn't disconnect it. I thought removing negative terminal on my battery solve my problem but it's not. There is no check engine light blinking anymore after I remove the negative terminal, but my car still shaking and the exhaust smelling so bad.

This happen after I replace my X to An H pipe. And I try to get code of my car I couldn't get it because they always said on the code reader is ' no code reading ' . I really don't know if it's bad to replace my X pipe to H pipe and when I'm driving it before it change to the 2nd gear the rpm is all the way up to 3000 rpm before it change. I hope you guys can help me with this simple promlem. Is there any other way to get the code of my car so they can tell me what exactly is the main problem. Appreciate you help, thank you guys..
Siendly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I would say bad 02 sensors then because that's the only thing that really changed between the two mid pipes my friends trans am would stall out because his 02 sensors were shorting out and would cause a misfire in the motor
mcvicar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
In my old jeep my check engine light would blink under a load such as going up a big hill. And I know that in jeeps if the check engine light is blinking it means something is causing it to run extremely rich and you are basically poor fuel down your tailpipes. I think my problem was a cracked intake manifold, but I sold it before I found our for sure. So Im assuming O2 censors could do the same. And im pretty sure you cannot check a code unless its active and if your engine light is blinking then its not active.
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know which one of my oxygen sensor I am going to replace . I'm thinking changing the 4 of them, coz I'm not sure which one of them is failing. I am having a hard time. And it's hard to guess what's really going on if you cannot get a proper problem of your car.
I don't know if there is another way to get a code of my car. Maybe you guys around there who is expert and can help me with this matter. Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I know when it flashes something bad is going on , like I said my friends car had a misfire which set the light flashing when you read the code it might say bank 1 or 1 that will tell you which one it is. Idk if that's left or right/ front or back
mcvicar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvicar04
I know when it flashes something bad is going on , like I said my friends car had a misfire which set the light flashing when you read the code it might say bank 1 or 1 that will tell you which one it is. Idk if that's left or right/ front or back
Check engine light flashing means a misfire that can damage the cats. Like they said it's a catastrophic misfire. Too much fuel being dumped into the engine. Pull your dipstick and smell it. You may find it has a gas smell to it. Replace o2 sensors and go from there
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt

Check engine light flashing means a misfire that can damage the cats. Like they said it's a catastrophic misfire. Too much fuel being dumped into the engine. Pull your dipstick and smell it. You may find it has a gas smell to it. Replace o2 sensors and go from there
Thanks, can I use different brand of o2 sensor like bosh? It's about $50 each and they have 4 of them. But I don't know which of my o2 sensor is failing . I'm thinking to replace only my rear left and rear right oxygen sensor. So since I disconnect the negative terminal of my battery, CEL is not blinking anymore. I'm still waiting for my CEL to come up again so I can check the code. Now there is no code reading because no CEL blinking on my dash. I will replace my o2 sensor tomorrow only the 2 them. What do you think?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Do you have cat's on the h pipe? And do you have headers ?
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

They work fine
Old 06-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360
Do you have cat's on the h pipe? And do you have headers ?
Yea, catalytic still there . I don't have a headers. Any idea?

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siendly22

Since I can't get a right code of my car. I'm thinking to change my coil and spark plug wires. My spark plug just replace it a year ago together with the fuel filter. Changing oil every 3000 with royal purple. Car is really in good condition , its only failing all of a sudden after I change my X pipe to H pipe. Smh
Old 06-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sounds like what you are describing that the cats might of blew out and you toasted the o2's , what I would do is get a set of mil elimanators for the o2's after the cats , these will shut the cats off then just replace the 2 o2' s before the cats
Old 06-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sounds like what you are describing that the cats might of blew out and you toasted the o2's , what I would do is get a set of mil elimanators for the o2's after the cats , these will shut the cats off then just replace the 2 o2' s before the cats
That's what I'm thinking to do so far. Did I tell you that every time I rev my gas to the fullest you can tell that the air from exhaust is not flowing smoothly like the normal flow feels like choking once I revving the gas full. I hope it's only a sensor , a friend told me it could be a fuel injector. I dont know man, it's always a guess. It's hard to guess on this kind of situation what exactly is going on , right?! But I know this is just simple problem. It's just making me curious. Thanks for your help
Old 06-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's what I'm thinking to do so far. Did I tell you that every time I rev my gas to the fullest you can tell that the air from exhaust is not flowing smoothly like the normal flow feels like choking once I revving the gas full. I hope it's only a sensor , a friend told me it could be a fuel injector. I dont know man, it's always a guess. It's hard to guess on this kind of situation what exactly is going on , right?! But I know this is just simple problem. It's just making me curious. Thanks for your help
If the cats blew out it means the baffles inside the cat broke if this happend the broken metal inside the cat could be blocking the hole causing the restriction , you can take a hammer and tap on the cats lightly and if you hear metal shaking inside chances are that's the problem , of so remove the cats and see how she runs
Old 06-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If the cats blew out it means the baffles inside the cat broke if this happend the broken metal inside the cat could be blocking the hole causing the restriction , you can take a hammer and tap on the cats lightly and if you hear metal shaking inside chances are that's the problem , of so remove the cats and see how she runs
Thanks man. I'll keep you posted on this thread.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks man. I'll keep you posted on this thread.
Cool , check it out and get back to us !!!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Is the oxygen sensor before and after the catalytic converter are the same sizes? I mean same on the 2 left sensor and the 2 sensor on the right? Thanks
Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Problem solve! I replace two downstream of my o2 sensor. Car back to normal..
Old 06-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Problem solve! I replace two downstream of my o2 sensor. Car back to normal..
Good

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT