Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Exhaust

Tags
exhaust
2K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  12secSN95 
#1 ·
Which cat back system can I get that will sound good with the bbk O/r x pipe. And have a rounded off tip

#27 ·
Jlt00bluegt said:
Yea I only payed 60 dollars for my single chambers and they probably out flow any of the above. But if cost isn't a issue borla stingers are nice.
I gained power swapping from single chambers to bassani. Muffler was the only thing changed

#32 ·
Eturner said:
I've got Pypes O/R X-pipe with CherryBomb Vortex cat back!.. Zero drone, complete flow through muffler (no chambers), and a nice deep tone!..

Also I would say to stay away from FlowMaster!.. They are made of cheap rust prone material and welds!..
Hey E, what up? Good to see you on the forum. No offense but here's my drift on the topic. I have flow master's super 44's. No rust here or any in sight. Flows are not for the timid either. They react differently at different temps and RPM ranges. They do however tend to drone at certain RPMs. They do however offer the best of both worlds especially when you need to go quiet. What they don't sound like is a car with a broken muffler. They give personality to the car. For example, change TB and things change, upgrade to LTs or STs headers and sound changes. Go X or H pipes and things change. So if your giving muffler, CAT, exhaust sounds advice, do mention your whole setup. FM's are tuned to whine and drone. Go through an underpass, or tunnel and your in days of thunder, pass by a semi and you get his attention. If you go FM, consider dynamat; I did. LOL. On the other hand, SC 4.6 with magna flow sounds angry and calls all street racers at every light (am already doin that). It's all up to your combos with 2004 and earlier (05 and up is about sound). My advice, be patient as you upgrade. Wonder what they will sound like when I go PI with TFs 44cc? Am staying NA anyhow, so can't wait to hear crk y'all.

#33 ·
LAS97GT said:
Hey E, what up? Good to see you on the forum. No offense but here's my drift on the topic. I have flow master's super 44's. No rust here or any in sight. Flows are not for the timid either. They react differently at different temps and RPM ranges. They do however tend to drone at certain RPMs. They do however offer the best of both worlds especially when you need to go quiet. What they don't sound like is a car with a broken muffler. They give personality to the car. For example, change TB and things change, upgrade to LTs or STs headers and sound changes. Go X or H pipes and things change. So if your giving muffler, CAT, exhaust sounds advice, do mention your whole setup. FM's are tuned to whine and drone. Go through an underpass, or tunnel and your in days of thunder, pass by a semi and you get his attention. If you go FM, consider dynamat; I did. LOL. On the other hand, SC 4.6 with magna flow sounds angry and calls all street racers at every light (am already doin that). It's all up to your combos with 2004 and earlier (05 and up is about sound). My advice, be patient as you upgrade. Wonder what they will sound like when I go PI with TFs 44cc? Am staying NA anyhow, so can't wait to hear crk y'all.
I'm a speaking from personal experience!.. I went through two sets of FlowMasters on a previous car!.. When I first put them on they sounded great!.. But after some time started getting a rattling sound from them!.. Both sets!.. The welds and pipes started to rust through on both sets!.. Granted my car was a DD so it was exposed to all kinds of weather (I live in Michigan), and road conditions such as salt, ice, snow and so on!..

But on the other hand my '04 Mustang GT is also a DD year round here in Michigan!.. The set up I have on it have had zero problems and it's been on there for over 3 years!.. That's about how long my Flows lasted before they needed to be replaced!.. Just three years!.. Plus if your going more for a performance point then you want a flow through design, not a chambered one!.. FlowMasters are chambered which does help to hinder performance!..

Plus my set up is just an O/R X-pipe from Pypes, and CherryBomb Vortex cat back (already mentioned this)!.. I don't at this time have headers, just the stock exhaust manifold!.. And my car doesn't sound broken air anything along those lines!.. I do get alot of complements on it!.. As matter of fact the other day I was in the drive through at McDonalds!.. A guy comes out smiling saying, "That things sounds great!.. Sounds fast from even in there!.." I was only at idle and was not revving it!.. And yes I get plenty of attention from truckers when I'm passing them!.. And underpasses too!.. Lol

#35 ·
Eturner said:
I'm a speaking from personal experience!.. I went through two sets of FlowMasters on a previous car!.. When I first put them on they sounded great!.. But after some time started getting a rattling sound from them!.. Both sets!.. The welds and pipes started to rust through on both sets!.. Granted my car was a DD so it was exposed to all kinds of weather (I live in Michigan), and road conditions such as salt, ice, snow and so on!..

But on the other hand my '04 Mustang GT is also a DD year round here in Michigan!.. The set up I have on it have had zero problems and it's been on there for over 3 years!.. That's about how long my Flows lasted before they needed to be replaced!.. Just three years!.. Plus if your going more for a performance point then you want a flow through design, not a chambered one!.. FlowMasters are chambered which does help to hinder performance!..

Plus my set up is just an O/R X-pipe from Pypes, and CherryBomb Vortex cat back (already mentioned this)!.. I don't at this time have headers, just the stock exhaust manifold!.. And my car doesn't sound broken air anything along those lines!.. I do get alot of complements on it!.. As matter of fact the other day I was in the drive through at McDonalds!.. A guy comes out smiling saying, "That things sounds great!.. Sounds fast from even in there!.." I was only at idle and was not revving it!.. And yes I get plenty of attention from truckers when I'm passing them!.. And underpasses too!.. Lol
You da man E. I knew you'd come back. To each his own. I live in NC right now, but I know about snow and salt on roadways from being in Germany over a decade. You got a point. I think mine are more resistant to rust though. But research goes a long way. Lol.

#36 ·
LAS97GT said:
You da man E. I knew you'd come back. To each his own. I live in NC right now, but I know about snow and salt on roadways from being in Germany over a decade. You got a point. I think mine are more resistant to rust though. But research goes a long way. Lol.
Not trying to "one up" any one or anything like that!.. Just sharing my experience!.. And with FlowMaster it has not been a positive one!.. But the Vortex cat back it has been very positive!.. I've got a buddy with an '02 GT and he has the same exhaust set up as mine!.. Except he has an O/R H-pipe vs my X-pipe!.. Sounds almost 100% identical to my car!.. And he has had his for about 5+ years and has had zero problems with it!.. And I've got a few buddies with FlowMasters and a couple of them are running into the same problems that I did!.. I know that FlowMasters are the "Big name" in the muscle car arena, but they are not really the best!... If you are going to keep the car for any length of time, and mostly if it's a DD then I would suggest saving the few extra $$$ and getting something better than FlowMasters!..

#39 ·
I have borla xr-1 with a summit xpipe and shorty headers and I love the way it sounds. Esp at wot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.