Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Exhaust

Which cat back system can I get that will sound good with the bbk O/r x pipe. And have a rounded off tip
2000_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_gt
Which cat back system can I get that will sound good with the bbk O/r x pipe. And have a rounded off tip
There's gonna be a bunch of diff opinions here. You're best bet is to go on YouTube and search for em and see which ones you like best. I have a bassani x pipe and borla catback and sounds super nice and clean
Old 06-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
I have borla with a O/R x-pipe sounds amazing!
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What's y'all exhaust tips like
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
I have a picture of mine in my pics go look.
Just chrome tip says Borla across both
Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mines are round rolled stainless steel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2522525405.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	55585
Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Best thing to do is either go to Americanmuscle.com and look at what they have and they have links to YouTube to hear the difference stock and how the aftermarket will sound........or YouTube might have some but you could waist a lot of time ..........but in my opinion I would go with some 2chamber mufflers or if you wanna go brand name Flowmasters is the way to go and gut the cats if your state/city doesn't text emission they will give you a nice deep tone ..borla to me is just loudness kinda like a truck and if you got the extra cash go with a x pipe for a really nice sounding stang I'm adding one in about a week......just my 2cents
trejo_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Road Trip!

I think flow masters has a raspy ricer sound on the 4.6
Old 06-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin
I think flow masters has a raspy ricer sound on the 4.6
Hmm I would have to disagree but friendly just because my friend has an 01 gt with flow master 40's and doesn't sound raspy at all in fact I belie it sounds louder than mine and he has just a catback
Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Just my opinion I wouldnt get Flowmasters because of the raspy sound plus 90% of mustangs have them (at least around where I live)
Old 06-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

But hardly any of them throw the x pipe under there or think to gut what ever cats the do have
trejo_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Yea I'm not sure if they have a x-pipe or cats.
Just seems every where I go and every mustang thing I see people have Flowmasters and I think they are way to loud I like a deep sounding pipe and I no all the mustangs around here there Flowmasters sound total opposite from deep when they get about 3,000 rpm it sounds like a raspy ricer.
I'm not putting down on anyone's pipes just saying the guys around here are doing something wrong with there Flowmasters
Old 06-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I have a catted x pipe with Magnaflow and I love it. It is kind of loud but not super loud, but has an excellent sound. And it does not really drone except at about 80mph but once you go to 90 its quite as can be.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258
I have a catted x pipe with Magnaflow and I love it. It is kind of loud but not super loud, but has an excellent sound. And it does not really drone except at about 80mph but once you go to 90 its quite as can be.
I like the sound of Magnaflow do you have cats?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:

I like the sound of Magnaflow do you have cats?
Yeah I have to for emissions. But I love the sound. I can take a video if you want, but im sure you have heard them before.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trejo_03
Best thing to do is either go to Americanmuscle.com and look at what they have and they have links to YouTube to hear the difference stock and how the aftermarket will sound........or YouTube might have some but you could waist a lot of time ..........but in my opinion I would go with some 2chamber mufflers or if you wanna go brand name Flowmasters is the way to go and gut the cats if your state/city doesn't text emission they will give you a nice deep tone ..borla to me is just loudness kinda like a truck and if you got the extra cash go with a x pipe for a really nice sounding stang I'm adding one in about a week......just my 2cents
I have bbk off road x with the factory flowmasters. I just want something a little deeper

---------- Post added 06-20-2012 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-19-2012 at 11:58 PM ----------

Quote:

I have bbk off road x with the factory flowmasters. I just want something a little deeper
I guess they are factory. I just replaced the h pipe
Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258

Yeah I have to for emissions. But I love the sound. I can take a video if you want, but im sure you have heard them before.
Yea I do too. I rather them with cats tbh.
I have high flow cats and love them
Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I want to hear a O/r xpipe with the bolra cat backs
Old 06-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll do an exhaust vid for u tnrw then.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
That's what I have but my cats are high flow cats

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Mine is the stainless steel aggressive cat back they make. With my O/R x-pipe and high flow cats it sounds amazing.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's what I have but my cats are high flow cats

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Mine is the stainless steel aggressive cat back they make. With my O/R x-pipe and high flow cats it sounds amazing.
Nice I just have two cats and bassani off road x pipe with borla exhaust
Old 06-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #22
Road Trip!

I'm sure it sounds amazing also.
I'm just a Borla fan I love the way all there pipes sound, a lot of the guys with the new 5.0 are getting Borla it sounds really good on those cars as well
Old 06-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have a x pipe high flow cats and flow master single chamber, loud and proud, and get a lot of complements on the way it sounds.
Jlt00bluegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Same here xpipe flowmasters no cats and it sounds clean and no where near "ricer"
Aaronv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #25

Say no to the flow. They don't sound like a river but they rust fast and get holes all through them. They're the worst for hp gains. I've heard of people losing power from them. Magma flow bassani and borla are the best I think. Magma flow is the the deepest but the tips come loose. If you want volume and rasp go for borla stingers. I have the bassani cuz the stingers are too loud for my area. But I still like the sound with my bbk lts and dr gas o/r x pipe.
Shrimpburgler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I only payed 60 dollars for my single chambers and they probably out flow any of the above. But if cost isn't a issue borla stingers are nice.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlt00bluegt
Yea I only payed 60 dollars for my single chambers and they probably out flow any of the above. But if cost isn't a issue borla stingers are nice.
I gained power swapping from single chambers to bassani. Muffler was the only thing changed
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Lowflyn, can you tell me how much you gained?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831

I'll do an exhaust vid for u tnrw then.
Can't wait to hear
Old 06-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlt00bluegt
Lowflyn, can you tell me how much you gained?
Mine will be different since i'm supercharged but I picked up 5 hp to the wheels with just muffler change
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I've got Pypes O/R X-pipe with CherryBomb Vortex cat back!.. Zero drone, complete flow through muffler (no chambers), and a nice deep tone!..

Also I would say to stay away from FlowMaster!.. They are made of cheap rust prone material and welds!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
I've got Pypes O/R X-pipe with CherryBomb Vortex cat back!.. Zero drone, complete flow through muffler (no chambers), and a nice deep tone!..

Also I would say to stay away from FlowMaster!.. They are made of cheap rust prone material and welds!..
Hey E, what up? Good to see you on the forum. No offense but here's my drift on the topic. I have flow master's super 44's. No rust here or any in sight. Flows are not for the timid either. They react differently at different temps and RPM ranges. They do however tend to drone at certain RPMs. They do however offer the best of both worlds especially when you need to go quiet. What they don't sound like is a car with a broken muffler. They give personality to the car. For example, change TB and things change, upgrade to LTs or STs headers and sound changes. Go X or H pipes and things change. So if your giving muffler, CAT, exhaust sounds advice, do mention your whole setup. FM's are tuned to whine and drone. Go through an underpass, or tunnel and your in days of thunder, pass by a semi and you get his attention. If you go FM, consider dynamat; I did. LOL. On the other hand, SC 4.6 with magna flow sounds angry and calls all street racers at every light (am already doin that). It's all up to your combos with 2004 and earlier (05 and up is about sound). My advice, be patient as you upgrade. Wonder what they will sound like when I go PI with TFs 44cc? Am staying NA anyhow, so can't wait to hear crk y'all.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT

Hey E, what up? Good to see you on the forum. No offense but here's my drift on the topic. I have flow master's super 44's. No rust here or any in sight. Flows are not for the timid either. They react differently at different temps and RPM ranges. They do however tend to drone at certain RPMs. They do however offer the best of both worlds especially when you need to go quiet. What they don't sound like is a car with a broken muffler. They give personality to the car. For example, change TB and things change, upgrade to LTs or STs headers and sound changes. Go X or H pipes and things change. So if your giving muffler, CAT, exhaust sounds advice, do mention your whole setup. FM's are tuned to whine and drone. Go through an underpass, or tunnel and your in days of thunder, pass by a semi and you get his attention. If you go FM, consider dynamat; I did. LOL. On the other hand, SC 4.6 with magna flow sounds angry and calls all street racers at every light (am already doin that). It's all up to your combos with 2004 and earlier (05 and up is about sound). My advice, be patient as you upgrade. Wonder what they will sound like when I go PI with TFs 44cc? Am staying NA anyhow, so can't wait to hear crk y'all.
I'm a speaking from personal experience!.. I went through two sets of FlowMasters on a previous car!.. When I first put them on they sounded great!.. But after some time started getting a rattling sound from them!.. Both sets!.. The welds and pipes started to rust through on both sets!.. Granted my car was a DD so it was exposed to all kinds of weather (I live in Michigan), and road conditions such as salt, ice, snow and so on!..

But on the other hand my '04 Mustang GT is also a DD year round here in Michigan!.. The set up I have on it have had zero problems and it's been on there for over 3 years!.. That's about how long my Flows lasted before they needed to be replaced!.. Just three years!.. Plus if your going more for a performance point then you want a flow through design, not a chambered one!.. FlowMasters are chambered which does help to hinder performance!..

Plus my set up is just an O/R X-pipe from Pypes, and CherryBomb Vortex cat back (already mentioned this)!.. I don't at this time have headers, just the stock exhaust manifold!.. And my car doesn't sound broken air anything along those lines!.. I do get alot of complements on it!.. As matter of fact the other day I was in the drive through at McDonalds!.. A guy comes out smiling saying, "That things sounds great!.. Sounds fast from even in there!.." I was only at idle and was not revving it!.. And yes I get plenty of attention from truckers when I'm passing them!.. And underpasses too!.. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

!!!!!!!! OK
Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

I'm a speaking from personal experience!.. I went through two sets of FlowMasters on a previous car!.. When I first put them on they sounded great!.. But after some time started getting a rattling sound from them!.. Both sets!.. The welds and pipes started to rust through on both sets!.. Granted my car was a DD so it was exposed to all kinds of weather (I live in Michigan), and road conditions such as salt, ice, snow and so on!..

But on the other hand my '04 Mustang GT is also a DD year round here in Michigan!.. The set up I have on it have had zero problems and it's been on there for over 3 years!.. That's about how long my Flows lasted before they needed to be replaced!.. Just three years!.. Plus if your going more for a performance point then you want a flow through design, not a chambered one!.. FlowMasters are chambered which does help to hinder performance!..

Plus my set up is just an O/R X-pipe from Pypes, and CherryBomb Vortex cat back (already mentioned this)!.. I don't at this time have headers, just the stock exhaust manifold!.. And my car doesn't sound broken air anything along those lines!.. I do get alot of complements on it!.. As matter of fact the other day I was in the drive through at McDonalds!.. A guy comes out smiling saying, "That things sounds great!.. Sounds fast from even in there!.." I was only at idle and was not revving it!.. And yes I get plenty of attention from truckers when I'm passing them!.. And underpasses too!.. Lol
You da man E. I knew you'd come back. To each his own. I live in NC right now, but I know about snow and salt on roadways from being in Germany over a decade. You got a point. I think mine are more resistant to rust though. But research goes a long way. Lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust