Flooding at idle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

My '96 GT has been having a problem of what I'm sure is flooding if it idles too long. If I idle it for a while it'll start running rough and eventually If I leave It long enough it'll die and not start again without a lot of difficulty. It's also been having to crank over more before firing cold. Anyone have a clue what this could be?!
zrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
If you drive it does the same thing happen after a while? It kind of sounds like a fuel pump.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No it's been totally fine on the highway. No missing/sputtering or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Interesting, I had a friend with a 91 gt and his would run fine on the freeway and while he was driving but once his car got warmed up and he stopped at a stop light or something it would die and he could not get it started again, until it cooled down and it was his fuel pump. But yeah I don't know.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. Mines not quite that severe. It takes quite a while before it starts doing anything. But I'll keep that in mind. Any other possibilities?!
Old 06-22-2012, 01:22 AM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
This might be way off, but I'll say it anyway. How is your voltage when this is happening? Check the alternator and make sure it is charging fully. I had a car do this once a long time ago and it was the alternator on its way to dying. It would idle at a stoplight and then it would get real rough and eventually die cause it was sucking the battery dead.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
This might be way off, but I'll say it anyway. How is your voltage when this is happening? Check the alternator and make sure it is charging fully. I had a car do this once a long time ago and it was the alternator on its way to dying. It would idle at a stoplight and then it would get real rough and eventually die cause it was sucking the battery dead.
+1. EFI cars usually don't have fuel delivery issues outside of faulty injectors, filters, or pumps, and even then it shouldn't surface in the low RPMs.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
ECU could have a bad spot on the fuel side holding the injectors open. Next time you get the chance turn the ignition on don't start it but take a test light to each injector plug and if they are staying lit when you make the connection suspect the ecu. Noid light works well on this also. And just for ****s and giggles when's the last time you tuned up your car?
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Last tune up was probably only 1000kms or so. So that shouldn't be the problem. I'll check the injectors next time! I was almost thinking a leaky injector. Any chance it could do that?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrider07
Last tune up was probably only 1000kms or so. So that shouldn't be the problem. I'll check the injectors next time! I was almost thinking a leaky injector. Any chance it could do that?
Only way it could is if the injector is sticking. I'd run a can of b12 chemtool thru it or seafoam. I prefer the b12 myself. But check the injectors first. Also pull the dipstick and smell the end for gas. If you do change it. Don't need the gas washing the bearings and causing more trouble.
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« Dyno | Pulleys »