Aftermarket intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Aftermarket intake

My intake manifold on my 2003 mustang gt is bad and leaking antifreeze. But I was wondering is it worth it to buy and install an aftermarket intake?? Or should I just buy a stock manifold? And if yes to the aftermarket manifold what should I get???
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227
My intake manifold on my 2003 mustang gt is bad and leaking antifreeze. But I was wondering is it worth it to buy and install an aftermarket intake?? Or should I just buy a stock manifold? And if yes to the aftermarket manifold what should I get???
Mine is getting changed as of right now. I bought stock cuz I cldnt wait for an aftermarket cuz I need my car ASAP. But I wld def choose aftermarket if I cld have waited.
charlie03fastGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie03fastGT

Mine is getting changed as of right now. I bought stock cuz I cldnt wait for an aftermarket cuz I need my car ASAP. But I wld def choose aftermarket if I cld have waited.
Hmm yeah mines not an urgent need but its something that I've been saving up for and I was looking at the victor jr by edelbrock but it says it needs custom plumbing and stuff for the stock fuel rails and throttle body and I can't afford to get a new throttle body and stuff so idk if anyone has it and can tell me about it..

Or if someone else can tell me about a different intake they have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont
Re: Aftermarket intake

I put a aftermarket intake manifold on my 02 GT and lost 20 rwhp. Unless you use N20 use the stock intake manifold I put my stock manifold back on and got my stolen power back.

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang97
I put a aftermarket intake manifold on my 02 GT and lost 20 rwhp. Unless you use N20 use the stock intake manifold I put my stock manifold back on and got my stolen power back.
Hmm very interesting yeah plan on staying NA for awhile so I'll just get the stick intake
Old 06-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah my dyno guy said it's the way to go. The aftermarket ones are metal causing em to get heat soaked. I took it to the track and every pass I made got gradually slower.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah my dyno guy said it's the way to go. The aftermarket ones are metal causing em to get heat soaked. I took it to the track and every pass I made got gradually slower.
Yeah I have heard them being notorious for that. Thanks alot man yeah I'll just get the stock manifold
Old 06-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Trick flow if you've got the money for it. Has its own plenum and can fit larger tb's
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus
Trick flow if you've got the money for it. Has its own plenum and can fit larger tb's
Yeah the problem is $799 is alot of money
Old 06-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Mine cracked and I bought a professional products typhoon aluminum intake. People say they suck (of course they never had one they just "heard" that they suck) I didn't want another plastic intake. I have had no problems with the typhoon. You won't see much gain unless you combine it with heads and cams.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post
Mine cracked and I bought a professional products typhoon aluminum intake. People say they suck (of course they never had one they just "heard" that they suck) I didn't want another plastic intake. I have had no problems with the typhoon. You won't see much gain unless you combine it with heads and cams.
I can truly say they suck . Thats what I had on my car the dyno doesn't lie.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
The typhoon is a ****ty paper weight. The stock works well but if you want to spend a little money the edlebrock works great!! It will give you a nice gain from around 3000rpms up. And then if you ever go FI it is worth around 60 extra rwhp over the stock!! But just FYI to make it work you will need new fuel rails (get the mmr ones not the edlebrock ones) and you will need a 6061 plenum or mmr adapter plate or your throttle body. It's around $500 for all the part but it is an awesome upgrade
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I can truly say they suck . Thats what I had on my car the dyno doesn't lie.
Did you dyno pre and post intake install with different intake being the only variable?

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson
The typhoon is a ****ty paper weight. The stock works well but if you want to spend a little money the edlebrock works great!! It will give you a nice gain from around 3000rpms up. And then if you ever go FI it is worth around 60 extra rwhp over the stock!! But just FYI to make it work you will need new fuel rails (get the mmr ones not the edlebrock ones) and you will need a 6061 plenum or mmr adapter plate or your throttle body. It's around $500 for all the part but it is an awesome upgrade
I guess you know it is a paper weight from experience?
Old 06-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post
Did you dyno pre and post intake install with different intake being the only variable?

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

I guess you know it is a paper weight from experience?
Yeah I was disappointed they claimed big power gains but once it got hot I started loosing the power.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I was disappointed they claimed big power gains but once it got hot I started loosing the power.
I really havent noticed any power loss yet. I should've spent the extra $150 an bought a trick flow intake though. If I do experience a power loss I will surely let everyone know
Old 06-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I wondering if you are going to put a supercharger on with intercooler would it really matter with a aftermarket intake being metal or not causing it to get hot and loose power

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang97 View Post
which one did you have on there?
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I'm the 3rd owner of my stang and recently found out one of the previous owners put a Dorman Intake on it. Same deal I'm losing about 20-30 HP with my set up. I feel stupid for not noticing it when I bought it, but I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference from a PI intake.
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Pony

I'm the 3rd owner of my stang and recently found out one of the previous owners put a Dorman Intake on it. Same deal I'm losing about 20-30 HP with my set up. I feel stupid for not noticing it when I bought it, but I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference from a PI intake.
Yeah I've heard nothing but complaints about dorman and there products. There nothing but an autozone brand

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT