Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Cams?

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  onesickstang01 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I have an 01 GT. All the basic bolt ons, 3:73 gears, upper intake, steeds pulleys, bbk Cai, bassani catted x-pipe with flowmaster cat back. I might be forgetting something. I would like to ad some cams, but not sure which ones to get. I want something with power through out the whole power band. What I really want is the lope. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW I've looked at tons of cams and videos. Just can't make up my mind.

#3 ·
I have a 02 GT and I installed a set of stage 2 Comp Cams from American Muscle and the cams ruined my engine. My pistons hit my valves causing piston damage and bent valves. I called Comp Cams and they told me I only have about a 50% chance of these cams working although they sell them on American Muscle saying they fit my car without problems. Comp Cams and American Muscle didn't do anything to rectify the situation.

#6 ·
Yeah, I'm just lying to myself. Wishful thinking. I think stage two cams would be a bit much. I was looking at American Muscles stage one cams. Don't think I'll do much more to the car. Just trying to get the maximum power out of what I've got. Maybe put a set of headers one day too.

#9 ·
67mustang97 said:
I have a 02 GT and I installed a set of stage 2 Comp Cams from American Muscle and the cams ruined my engine. My pistons hit my valves causing piston damage and bent valves. I called Comp Cams and they told me I only have about a 50% chance of these cams working although they sell them on American Muscle saying they fit my car without problems. Comp Cams and American Muscle didn't do anything to rectify the situation.
The cams really ruined your engine? Dang man that sucks!

#10 ·
67mustang97 said:
That's what I'm afraid of. Getting the wrong ones. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. That sucks.

#17 ·
I run Anderson Motorsport N22, it's a mild cam, but pleased with it and they are great to deal with. MMFF did a write up about how to add 50 more HP with boltons and they used this cam. You might be able to read about it on their sight if you do some digging. Just my 2 cents.

#22 ·
67mustang97 said:
You did something wrong on the install then. Those cams must be degreed to around a 110* centerline and have new springs to prevent ptv contact like you had. With the proper degreeing and springs these are great cams for our cars and can be run with zero issue. The stage 2 comp 270 cams are probably the most popular and best sounding cams that will work in a stock 2V motor

#24 ·
Cody is correct. The install was done wrong and if they started the motor without checking for ptv clearance that are far short of a professional. Those cams are designed for stock 2v clearances and with the correct install should have plenty of clearance.

For the OP give nick at MHS a call. He will set you up with what you need and even degree the cams for you so its just a drop in install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.