Help please! ") - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Help please! ")

I have a 2000 mustang gt. I am currently in the process of fixing my air intake manifold, which I believe has no relavence. But while my car is hot and I put it in reverse it stalls or really wants to stall. Also at a stand still it has a fluttering idle. I just recently cleaned out a bunch of gunk build up in my plenum and noticed that my intake has rust in it. (dont know if that could be the problem) While cleaning the plenum I also cleaned the O2 sensor.

I have read alot of diff forums online but haven't been able to come up with a firm solution. I still need to change my fuel filter and my plugs and wires. If anyone has any other ideas that may help I am all ears!

AEAA Winnett
Chaise33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Sounds like a vacuum leak..visually Check all vacuum lines first.. Then Take some throttle body cleaner and spray around your intake where it meets the heads while the engine is running.. Do the same for the throttle body and upper intake.. If there is a leak the engine will change idle or even stall.. Also possible IAC (idle air control valve) or your ignition coils are week, if the stock coils, I bet there faulty.. Accel super coils from summit racing set of 8 for under 250..

How many miles on car and last major service? And regularly maintained I'm guessing...??

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illdrag
Sounds like a vacuum leak..visually Check all vacuum lines first.. Then Take some throttle body cleaner and spray around your intake where it meets the heads while the engine is running.. Do the same for the throttle body and upper intake.. If there is a leak the engine will change idle or even stall.. Also possible IAC (idle air control valve) or your ignition coils are week, if the stock coils, I bet there faulty.. Accel super coils from summit racing set of 8 for under 250..

How many miles on car and last major service? And regularly maintained I'm guessing...??
Also your fuel injectors could be dirty... More info and I can lead you to the right direction
Illdrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: Help please! ")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illdrag View Post

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Also your fuel injectors could be dirty... More info and I can lead you to the right direction

Thanks for the advice. I think this is really going to help me pin point whats going on. It has 114k miles. I was told that it was reguarly maintained when I bought it. (which was rather recent)

when you say intake meets the heads.. do you mean intake manifold? I am just an average wrench turner, so I'm still learning.
As far as the ignition coils go I bet that may be part of it.. they are still stock. Lastly is there anything I should look for when shopping for the ignition coils?
Chaise33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT