Ordered tuner today! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Ordered tuner today!

Finally decided to order a tuner today. I was going to get the fancy Bluetooth model that works with the iPhone and iPad, but decided it adds too many problem variables. I ordered the standard SCT x3 tuner.

I gonna submit my vehicle info tonight.

Does anybody have any suggestions for this custom tune based on their experience that you would like to pass on?
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Ordered tuner today!

good info, no real need for all the fancy stuff as once its dialed in its wise to leave it be. Flashing and having issues during can leave you with a heavy paper weight lol. I try not to flash mine unless its much needed.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular

It'd be a neat conversation piece, as long as it wasn't your ECU!
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
When you summit your info make sure you mark a 93 octane race tune.
It comes with a 87 street 87 performance and a 91 race tune a 93 race tune is helpful.
You will love it!

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin
When you summit your info make sure you mark a 93 octane race tune.
It comes with a 87 street 87 performance and a 91 race tune a 93 race tune is helpful.
You will love it!
Submit* not summit
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yeah specify what octanes levels you want for which type of tune - street, performance, and race, and don't forget to account for your gear/tire changes, it will make a huge difference in your tunes.

Also, do you have an auto or 5spd Mach?

If you have an auto, tell them you want the most aggressive shift points/firmness on the race tune.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
Yeah specify what octanes levels you want for which type of tune - street, performance, and race, and don't forget to account for your gear/tire changes, it will make a huge difference in your tunes.

Also, do you have an auto or 5spd Mach?

If you have an auto, tell them you want the most aggressive shift points/firmness on the race tune.
I have a 5spd.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Thanks for the tips everyone!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I have a 5spd.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Thanks for the tips everyone!

aight...that tune will help your gear change as well as net you some decent gains.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Ok, submitted my info to Bama. I decided not to opt for the rev limit "launch" feature for the manual tranny's. This made me wonder, can you make any changes to these type of features at any time once you have your tuner? Will I need to submit changes to Bama for any of the basic features, like thermostat, for example? I heard of some guys here adjusting the timing between certain RPM ranges. These were not options when submitting to Bama.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i would HIGHLy recommend downloading the livewire software, getting with AM to get them to email you a profile to load (what params to monitor) and then data logging the car normal driving, WOT, etc different stuff and let them review the logs.

Make sure to keep each log individual and shorter (like 20 secs or a minute etc) and each log will be for a specific type of driving (cruising steady, WOT pulls etc). Then they can review and plug holes as needed to optimize.

Better yet if you do WOT pulls on a dyno with A/F to monitor and tweek that for better power.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
i would HIGHLy recommend downloading the livewire software, getting with AM to get them to email you a profile to load (what params to monitor) and then data logging the car normal driving, WOT, etc different stuff and let them review the logs.

Make sure to keep each log individual and shorter (like 20 secs or a minute etc) and each log will be for a specific type of driving (cruising steady, WOT pulls etc). Then they can review and plug holes as needed to optimize.

Better yet if you do WOT pulls on a dyno with A/F to monitor and tweek that for better power.
Cool, thanks! I will definitely do this.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Is there a website where you can research your specific tune?

Also, tuner should arrive Thursday
Old 06-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post

So you can data log as you drive and then send it to them VIA email? or Livewire?
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

So you can data log as you drive and then send it to them VIA email? or Livewire?
I believe you email it to them. I'm gonna try this when I get mine. I went to the Bama Tunes website, but they didn't have any information about how you contact them. Guess you just call them? I could see this being really help for dudes who have a ton of bolts ons.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe you email it to them. I'm gonna try this when I get mine. I went to the Bama Tunes website, but they didn't have any information about how you contact them. Guess you just call them? I could see this being really help for dudes who have a ton of bolts ons.
Yea, I def agree although I really wouldnt use this on the GT because I have it dyno tuned. I have all the bolts on right now other then upgraded intake manifold and its been tuned and I havent added anything since. Then next thing is a supercharger but its getting dyno tuned again.

I could use this feature on the cobra though...
Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Anybody remember how long it took to get your initial tune files?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It took me a week and half to get the whole deal to my house.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Woohoo! Tuner arrived today. But, no tuning for me since I'm still waiting on Bama.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Woohoo! Tuner arrived today. But, no tuning for me since I'm still waiting on Bama.
Your tunes weren't preloaded to your tuner?
Btw, you should link it up to your computer and update the tuner if it doesn't have the current update. I got mine two weeks ago and went to upload my tunes and there were no files in the tuner. I called Bama and they emailed me my tunes in about half an hour. I then went back to the computer to upload my tunes to the tuner and I needed to update the tuner. Updating it took 2 hours and the uploading the tunes to the tuner took about 30 minutes and then uploading one to my car took about 20 minutes. I dusted off my old HP laptop and formatted it. It's gonna be my designated data logging computer.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #19
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

Your tunes weren't preloaded to your tuner?
Btw, you should link it up to your computer and update the tuner if it doesn't have the current update. I got mine two weeks ago and went to upload my tunes and there were no files in the tuner. I called Bama and they emailed me my tunes in about half an hour. I then went back to the computer to upload my tunes to the tuner and I needed to update the tuner. Updating it took 2 hours and the uploading the tunes to the tuner took about 30 minutes and then uploading one to my car took about 20 minutes. I dusted off my old HP laptop and formatted it. It's gonna be my designated data logging computer.
Wow, I feel dull. Bout as sharp as a wet leather bag! I'll do this ^ straight away. (that's was rather English of me). Thanks for the tips!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yeah, it was totally worth it. I've got the Boss manifold and a Steeda CAI and with the tune I love how the car sounds now. It seems like the exhaust note has changed a bit too. I'd say it sounds a bit more aggressive. I can't wait to open up my exhaust next.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Got an error 1019 UNLOCK ECM FAILED! I'm not sure what to think about that. Too late to call AM tonight. Guess I'll be calling support tomorrow. Anybody here got that error before with their tuner?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Got an error 1019 UNLOCK ECM FAILED! I'm not sure what to think about that. Too late to call AM tonight. Guess I'll be calling support tomorrow. Anybody here got that error before with their tuner?
Maybe they got the wrong computer code in there??...never got that had my tuner go out on me during the tuning process.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #23
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

Maybe they got the wrong computer code in there??...never got that had my tuner go out on me during the tuning process.
I'm kinda wondering if it has to do with my gear change with the previous owner. Maybe somehow they left the ECU unlocked? I've been searching the google, and some are due to previous tunes, dealer not doing something that keeps the ECU from being married to the tuner, then misc probs sorta like what you had. Hopefully they can figure it out. Getting concerned my PCM will get bricked or need a stock re-flash.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm kinda wondering if it has to do with my gear change with the previous owner. Maybe somehow they left the ECU unlocked? I've been searching the google, and some are due to previous tunes, dealer not doing something that keeps the ECU from being married to the tuner, then misc probs sorta like what you had. Hopefully they can figure it out. Getting concerned my PCM will get bricked or need a stock re-flash.
ya know, since you said that its prolly possible that who ever owned the car before you didnt re-tune it back to stock settings. When my tuner went out during tune, I had to send it off to get fixed. When I got it back and tried to tune my car it gave me a error (dont remember what it said). I called my local speed shop and told them and they some how put it in recovery mode or something like that with the vin, don't know the whole process of how they did it. I just dropped the tuner off to them for a few hours and they did something to do so where I can tune my car to bring it to them for a dyno tune.

If you cant get ahold Am, which im sure they are going to referer you to Bama, I would try calling a local SCT dealer to see if they can help you with maybe putting it in some kinda mode so where it can be tuned. Not saying it will work but it did with mine but we alsome might have had a different code and my computer was locked in with the tuner I had so I dunno...good luck
Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Found out me ECU was chipped. This was stopping the tuner from hookin up. Gotta put it back together now. Damn it's hot outside!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

oh wow thats good to know then, you might be able to sell that chip ? maybe?...hope it works out for you man.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #27
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Yup, this time, no problem flashing a tune. Whew! Glad that worked. I started with the 91 street tune for now cause it's too hot here to get squirrelly. It was 101 here today, which is like 20 over normal this time of year. Even this tune is noticeable.

My instruction told me not to change the options when it asks during the flash process. I don't know why, I think this is where you would turn off the traction control, etc. I want to do this, so I guess I'll need to re-flash and get into those options.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well thats good then, glad you got it to work and was able to notice it. My dad told me it was 104 at the house today, it was 117 here.

I notice that in the intructions too when I got mine but I changed the gear ratio, fan settings, and etc. Nothing came of it but im wondering if they are referring to the timing and fuel ratio or something.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

Glad you got the bugs fixed man! Let me know how you like the SCT, I've been thinking about ditching my predator. How has the Mach responded to the race tune?!
5-Speed-IUP, Predator tuned, k&n cai,Mrt shifter,Hooker Lts-o/f x-pipe, KC clutch,Alum flywheel,FR 4:10's. Upr rear control arms. Forged Teksid Eaton swap in progress!

WickedStangs Mustang Club
Tulsa,OK Chapter President
TtownMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMach1
Glad you got the bugs fixed man! Let me know how you like the SCT, I've been thinking about ditching my predator. How has the Mach responded to the race tune?!
I have to say I'm surprised. The accelerator is like race car responsive. Actually, I think it's easier to drive with the performance or race tune. I plan to try out logging data and getting an updated tune based on the data.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have to say I'm surprised. The accelerator is like race car responsive. Actually, I think it's easier to drive with the performance or race tune. I plan to try out logging data and getting an updated tune based on the data.
Yeah I would agree. I dd with the race/performance tune. Have you thought about getting an a/f wideband gauge?
5-Speed-IUP, Predator tuned, k&n cai,Mrt shifter,Hooker Lts-o/f x-pipe, KC clutch,Alum flywheel,FR 4:10's. Upr rear control arms. Forged Teksid Eaton swap in progress!

Old 07-03-2012, 02:38 AM   #32
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Yeah I would agree. I dd with the race/performance tune. Have you thought about getting an a/f wideband gauge?
Is that air/fuel? No, I always figured they were for supercharged engines.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is that air/fuel? No, I always figured they were for supercharged engines.
Yeah air/fuel. It doesn't have to be FI. IMO its always good to see how she's running. I've had mine for quite sometime. Played with the predator some to see how she reacts to different fuel. Leaner/richer ect.

And if by some chance you get a bad tune or whatever it may be. If she goes full lean you will know and may be able to prevent further damage. Just my 2cents

Old 07-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #34
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Yeah air/fuel. It doesn't have to be FI. IMO its always good to see how she's running. I've had mine for quite sometime. Played with the predator some to see how she reacts to different fuel. Leaner/richer ect.

And if by some chance you get a bad tune or whatever it may be. If she goes full lean you will know and may be able to prevent further damage. Just my 2cents
I'm thinking about trying this little gadget for a A/F gauge...

http://www.ot-2.com/

I don't know if I want to get an C-pillar gauge housing so I think this might work out good.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #35
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV

I guess should quit thinking Bama's tunes would be conservative and do this ^^^

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT