First Three Affordable Upgrades - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via Skype™ to Sobersucks85
First Three Affordable Upgrades

I have a stock 03 Mustang Gt other then a K&N cold air intake. I want to get some of that excitement back from when I first bought it. What are three affordable ways I can do this? Any advice?

Help!!!!
Thanks,
Shaun
Sobersucks85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You can get a tune, exhaust, pulleys or headers those are good starters.
MedicDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: First Three Affordable Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicDave View Post
You can get a tune, exhaust, pulleys or headers those are good starters.
+1 and I must add throttle body and plenium, or gears.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Carful with buying a throttle body, depending on the types of mods you do the TB is a little bit of a wast of money, you won't get much gain from it unless you want the look of it, I like the polished frpp, it's a great looking TB but a bit pricey and looks awesome. For the price of a TB you could get a set of long tubes and get more hp for the buck and it will sound great.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Carful with buying a throttle body, depending on the types of mods you do the TB is a little bit of a wast of money, you won't get much gain from it unless you want the look of it, I like the polished frpp, it's a great looking TB but a bit pricey and looks awesome. For the price of a TB you could get a set of long tubes and get more hp for the buck and it will sound great.
I disagree with you on the first part, TB, TB spacer and plenium along with a CAI was the first mods I did and I saw a difference in reponse and how the car acted during accel.That was without a tune, when I got the car tuned it helped. You might see a big difference now but later on when you add certain stuff it will help and come in play. Ever since then I have added other things only to see a increase instead of decrease. I can see where you are coming from on the HP gain depending on the HP gain with the PI heads and intake.

The last part I can agree I def would say LT headers over TB would see a better gain and sound better.

Either way you go its a good route but keep in mind TB etc you can do but the install on LT headers isnt cheap unless you do it yourself but it isnt a easy thing unless you drop the K-member.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Personally, I would invest in some springs, camber bolts/plates, and Upgrade to a more aggressive brake pad, like the Hawk HPS pads. Full length subframe connectors would be on my list also. Our cars handle more like trucks the way ford sets them up, but with a little work our cars can handle great. But if power is what you are craving, I would look into a tuner and gear package, just my 2 cents. Or for you driving pleasure I would get a short shifter like an MGW.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

I disagree with you on the first part, TB, TB spacer and plenium along with a CAI was the first mods I did and I saw a difference in reponse and how the car acted during accel.That was without a tune, when I got the car tuned it helped. You might see a big difference now but later on when you add certain stuff it will help and come in play. Ever since then I have added other things only to see a increase instead of decrease. I can see where you are coming from on the HP gain depending on the HP gain with the PI heads and intake.

The last part I can agree I def would say LT headers over TB would see a better gain and sound better.

Either way you go its a good route but keep in mind TB etc you can do but the install on LT headers isnt cheap unless you do it yourself but it isnt a easy thing unless you drop the K-member.
my guy at BBR told me don't wast my money on a TB With a relatively stock application, I have a Steeda CAI and tune with pulleys, and full exhaust from the headers to the tips, he said its just not enough to make a difference and that the factory TB flows good enough, but I think I'm going to get the frpp polished TB and plenium. If you saw gains from that then I'm going to do it.

---------- Post added at 06:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

Suspension mods are a def, I changed my springs and sway bars and that alone made a difference, now I need shocks and struts with some nice lower control arms, the list of mods just never ends lol.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
my guy at BBR told me don't wast my money on a TB With a relatively stock application, I have a Steeda CAI and tune with pulleys, and full exhaust from the headers to the tips, he said its just not enough to make a difference and that the factory TB flows good enough, but I think I'm going to get the frpp polished TB and plenium. If you saw gains from that then I'm going to do it.
Im not saying he is wrong or doesnt know what he is doing but I would also be intrested in how he based that information on if it was worth it or not based on the year and pi swap or not. I can see adding a tb & plenium on a factory intake wouldnt make a difference. From what I was told by many people on here, well know race shops, and even a ford tech if you can get this cars to breath it makes a difference.

But yes I did see a difference in the car when I added all three esp a tuner of which I think is the best combo I add besides the LT headers, I dont have any track times (1/4) to prove it because the closed track was closed soon after I got it done. Right before I left the track opened back up so I will let you know what it does.

I def would agree with the sub frame connectors and maybe the strut tower brace as well along with the C&C plates. I have had all of that done to the cobra and it was a totally different car driving it on the corners and etc.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:

---------- Post added at 06:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

Suspension mods are a def, I changed my springs and sway bars and that alone made a difference, now I need shocks and struts with some nice lower control arms, the list of mods just never ends lol.
My Performance Shop Also informed me that the Throttle Body change was a waste of Money. With the aplication I have, it is not worthwhile, instead I got Gears, LT Headers and it's great. They informed me that the some of the stock stuff from Ford is actually not bad at all, Ford did a good job on a lot of stuff and it does not really need to be changed. I agree if you want te change for "Looks", then go for it, if you want it for performance, then save the money.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If you have an auto then a tuner really should be next on your list!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via Skype™ to Sobersucks85
Thanks guys! Thus is probably a dumb question what is CAI and tuning your car a lot of $$? What about putting a chip in it?
I'm not trying to sound like a tight *** or anything expense wise, but it would be nice to just get rewarded after washing and waxing my garage kept Stang. I'm tired of it just looking nice lol
Thanks again guys for all the advice and help.
P.S. also been thinking about 17s rims and lowering it 2inch idk though don't want it slammed either though.
Sobersucks85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
No chip. Buy a hand held tuner it will help in the long run. Makes it easier to get tunes and for the dyno tuners to upload said tunes.
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt
No chip. Buy a hand held tuner it will help in the long run. Makes it easier to get tunes and for the dyno tuners to upload said tunes.
And you can read/clear trouble codes if you get check engine light.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt
+11

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

And you can read/clear trouble codes if you get check engine light.
+11

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

CAI is Cold Air Intake!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT