Bama SCT Racing tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Bama SCT Racing tune

Hey guys, 2 weeks ago I was heading to the track on my 93 octane Race tune from Bama and American muscle. I turned in to capitol raceway after about a 5 min drive on that tube from my house, and the motor went BANG. It continued running untill I dropped it off at JPC to get the problem taken care of. Turns out it was a broken piston that was the problem. Moral is, don't run an aggressive racing tune like this unless you are willing to risk having a problem. And maybe get it actually dyno tuned so you know it's safe.

But $6,000 later, I'll have a Mach 1 aluminum block, an upgraded 8 bolt flywheel, a new clutch, and BASSANI mid-length headers since the motor is out. Also it will be safely tuned by Justin and the guys at JPC. The block has a forged crank which is a plus, and it's about 65 lbs lighter than my stock block. Hopefully I can run 12s in the quarter now

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3840346733.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	557.0 KB
ID:	56733
01mineralgreyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Damn, sorry to hear that. I've always heard that the biggest complaints people had with AM's can tunes was that they were too conservative. You should get with AM. Maybe there's something they can do for you?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
How do you know it was the tune?.. And not a part that just went?..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
^Coulda just been a bad connection pin. But that Mach sounds like its gonna be a real beast! Looking forward to that coming to life.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just what JPC told me. I guess it coulda been the part, but I feel like if it was safely tuned, it wouldn't have broke
Old 06-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01mineralgreyv8
Just what JPC told me. I guess it coulda been the part, but I feel like if it was safely tuned, it wouldn't have broke
True!.. But I've had a real aggressive tune in my car for about 5 years now and no problems!.. But that new motor should do you just right!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yep I'm excited
Old 06-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: Bama SCT Racing tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01mineralgreyv8 View Post
Hey guys, 2 weeks ago I was heading to the track on my 93 octane Race tune from Bama and American muscle. I turned in to capitol raceway after about a 5 min drive on that tube from my house, and the motor went BANG. It continued running untill I dropped it off at JPC to get the problem taken care of. Turns out it was a broken piston that was the problem. Moral is, don't run an aggressive racing tune like this unless you are willing to risk having a problem. And maybe get it actually dyno tuned so you know it's safe.
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that your motor went! I'm glad that JPC is going to get you taken care of, but I just don't see this being a tune problem with no power adders?

On our MOST aggressive tune (93 Race tune), we target 12.6-12.7 air/fuel ratio and about 27-28 degrees of timing on 93 octane. That's more than safe, but still powerful. Even if we were to run it at 13.5 air/fuel ratio and 30 degrees of timing, the piston wouldn't just "break" like that. You'd have white plugs, detonation on the top of the piston, audible pinging that you'd hear when you drive, etc. It doesn't just run strong and then break.

Again, I'm glad that JPC is covering you and we stand behind our tunes. I assure you that we've tuned thousands of 96-04 GT's both PI and non-PI with nothing but great results. It would actually be hard for us to recreate the failure that you had, unless there was forced induction involved.

Let us know how the build goes at JPC. We're good friends with Justin and the crew. I'd offer you more help, but it sounds like you're all taken care of. Let me know if there's anything you need!

Chris
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764 | Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
Need Help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
AMChrisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amchrisrose

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that your motor went! I'm glad that JPC is going to get you taken care of, but I just don't see this being a tune problem with no power adders?

On our MOST aggressive tune (93 Race tune), we target 12.6-12.7 air/fuel ratio and about 27-28 degrees of timing on 93 octane. That's more than safe, but still powerful. Even if we were to run it at 13.5 air/fuel ratio and 30 degrees of timing, the piston wouldn't just "break" like that. You'd have white plugs, detonation on the top of the piston, audible pinging that you'd hear when you drive, etc. It doesn't just run strong and then break.

Again, I'm glad that JPC is covering you and we stand behind our tunes. I assure you that we've tuned thousands of 96-04 GT's both PI and non-PI with nothing but great results. It would actually be hard for us to recreate the failure that you had, unless there was forced induction involved.

Let us know how the build goes at JPC. We're good friends with Justin and the crew. I'd offer you more help, but it sounds like you're all taken care of. Let me know if there's anything you need!

Chris
I agree it is not the tune. That was my first thought when making this thread. Im glad you guys stand behind your tunes! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a canned tune from you guys to anyone with a bolt on car. The car should be done this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT