Take cats off? Benefits? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Sigh, why not just save the cash then buy an actual Off-road X pipe? CATS are expensive. Bashing out CAT packs is not recommended especially for added torque cuz that mostly what you'll get. Bet I'm the dummy that answered you thread. Yep, I am.
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
The 99 to 04 gts have Actaully 3 cats 2 up at the end of the headers and 1 big one in the middle. I wouldn't recommend removing unless you have tuner or you don't mind a check engine light . And depending on what mufflers they might be horrible drone

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Basshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #38
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basshunter View Post
The 99 to 04 gts have Actaully 3 cats 2 up at the end of the headers and 1 big one in the middle. I wouldn't recommend removing unless you have tuner or you don't mind a check engine light . And depending on what mufflers they might be horrible drone

I'm pretty sure my 01 had 4.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Four cats.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

My bad I thought 3 but I guess 4

2003 full Bolt on GT
Old 07-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #41
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basshunter View Post
My bad I thought 3 but I guess 4

2003 full Bolt on GT

Yea having one in the middle would be impossible with an H pipe.

HID end all thread
Old 07-06-2014, 11:44 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yep 4 cats. 96-98 had 6 cats!

XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Yep 4 cats. 96-98 had 6 cats!

A little excessive

2003 full Bolt on GT
Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Cats are excessive period, old tech from the smog machine days. New cars these days can pass a sniffer with flying colors with the cats removed but since we still need them for no good reason we have to have them.

Honestly though, in 5-10 years look for full electrics to really start taking off with Tesla releasing all their patents so its probably never going to change because it won't need to.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Cats are excessive period, old tech from the smog machine days. New cars these days can pass a sniffer with flying colors with the cats removed but since we still need them for no good reason we have to have them.

Honestly though, in 5-10 years look for full electrics to really start taking off with Tesla releasing all their patents so its probably never going to change because it won't need to.

They restrict hp though

2003 full Bolt on GT
Old 07-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff

A good high flow cat does not. Nothing worthwhile anyway, MAYBE 1-2hp.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They still have a long way to go with the battery technology before electric cars are anything more than a toy for the rich, in my opinion.
Let alone, the fact that the power grid in this country isn't anywhere near capable of charging even a small percentage of the vehicles used everyday... And night!
50 more nuclear power plants are necessary.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #48
Staff
Regular
Staff

Then we should build 50 more plants and other alternative energy sources as well. More solar, more geo-thermal, more wind etc... we have the tech, but politicians are in bed with the oil companies. Getting the hell off coal is another issue also but I'd rather see us totally off foreign oil and stuck on coal for another 25-50 years than maintain the status quo. We are the "Saudi Arabia of coal" and there is plenty of it here for the next 100 years. It is an environmental disaster though.

In the end, it is going to get to the point where gas really is expensive enough to where a good percentage of ppl will look to go full electric. A Tesla has around a 260 mile range right now for the top model. Its still expensive but its getting cheaper and since they released their patents, look for long range electrics to start hitting relatively shortly. I still think we are 5-10 years out. At $4+ gallon now there is no way the majority of Americans are going to be able to sustain that. We could (and should) do what Europe does with high MPG tiny cars but that will only go so far. I mean even if a Tesla is $500/mo figure what you spend on gas in a month and subtract that and see where you stand then.

Not to mention if more ppl start doing the free solar/fixed electric bill thing that is going to massively help out the grid. I'm actually looking into that myself and will probably do it. $100/mo for electric no matter how much you use or how little you use. My bill is generally $125-$250 depending on the season so putting solar panels on my roof for $100/mo is a no brainer. Yeah most ppl would charge their cars at night when there is no solar but the answer to that is just to have a power center that comes with the car and charges during the day while the person is at work and then can rapid charge the vehicle like a Tesla charging station does.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #49
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Then we should build 50 more plants and other alternative energy sources as well. More solar, more geo-thermal, more wind etc... we have the tech, but politicians are in bed with the oil companies. Getting the hell off coal is another issue also but I'd rather see us totally off foreign oil and stuck on coal for another 25-50 years than maintain the status quo. We are the "Saudi Arabia of coal" and there is plenty of it here for the next 100 years. It is an environmental disaster though.

In the end, it is going to get to the point where gas really is expensive enough to where a good percentage of ppl will look to go full electric. A Tesla has around a 260 mile range right now for the top model. Its still expensive but its getting cheaper and since they released their patents, look for long range electrics to start hitting relatively shortly. I still think we are 5-10 years out. At $4+ gallon now there is no way the majority of Americans are going to be able to sustain that. We could (and should) do what Europe does with high MPG tiny cars but that will only go so far. I mean even if a Tesla is $500/mo figure what you spend on gas in a month and subtract that and see where you stand then.

Not to mention if more ppl start doing the free solar/fixed electric bill thing that is going to massively help out the grid. I'm actually looking into that myself and will probably do it. $100/mo for electric no matter how much you use or how little you use. My bill is generally $125-$250 depending on the season so putting solar panels on my roof for $100/mo is a no brainer. Yeah most ppl would charge their cars at night when there is no solar but the answer to that is just to have a power center that comes with the car and charges during the day while the person is at work and then can rapid charge the vehicle like a Tesla charging station does.

Scientists just discovered a process that turns biological matter into crude oil. "Biological matter" includes animal waste (read: poop), so we will have to see. This may mean more readily available fuel, which means it's cheaper.

HID end all thread
Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. New oil discoveries and technological advances in the removal of oil have pretty much guaranteed the supply for everyone who is alive today. We have an enormous amount on this continent alone.

We can't build those power plants in 10 years Scotty. Probably not even 20 years. Not at the rate that things have been getting done in the past. You could never get the permits to build the plant in that amount of time. The tree huggers and nuclear power "scaredy cats" throw down so many lawsuits that most of the companies building these plants abandon sites even before a shovel touches dirt.
And that is the only way that we are going to have cheap enough, and just plain ol' enough, electricity to be able to have electric cars on a massive scale.
Tesla does have a decent range but after I'm done with the first 250-300 mile leg of my journey, I want to spend about 10 minutes at the gas station, grab some road munchies, take a leak, and be be back on the road for another 300 miles. That's the part that they need to work on.
They still have plenty of time...

Natural gas is a viable alternative that we have right now. In most of the country, all of the infrastructure is already in to start using it immediately. And we have an ENORMOUS supply in this country. In Alaska, they either burn off or pump as much natural gas back into the ground as we use here in the lower 48 every day. The "greenies" won't even let a pipeline be built so that we can use it.

The political atmosphere has to change before we can use any of these sources of energy in this country...
Old 07-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yes. New oil discoveries and technological advances in the removal of oil have pretty much guaranteed the supply for everyone who is alive today. We have an enormous amount on this continent alone.

We can't build those power plants in 10 years Scotty. Probably not even 20 years. Not at the rate that things have been getting done in the past. You could never get the permits to build the plant in that amount of time. The tree huggers and nuclear power "scaredy cats" throw down so many lawsuits that most of the companies building these plants abandon sites even before a shovel touches dirt.
And that is the only way that we are going to have cheap enough, and just plain ol' enough, electricity to be able to have electric cars on a massive scale.
Tesla does have a decent range but after I'm done with the first 250-300 mile leg of my journey, I want to spend about 10 minutes at the gas station, grab some road munchies, take a leak, and be be back on the road for another 300 miles. That's the part that they need to work on.
They still have plenty of time...

Natural gas is a viable alternative that we have right now. In most of the country, all of the infrastructure is already in to start using it immediately. And we have an ENORMOUS supply in this country. In Alaska, they either burn off or pump as much natural gas back into the ground as we use here in the lower 48 every day. The "greenies" won't even let a pipeline be built so that we can use it.

The political atmosphere has to change before we can use any of these sources of energy in this country...
They have supercharging stations all up and down the east and west coast already. You can drive all the way up and down either coast in a Tesla no problem. It does a half charge in 15-20 minutes and a full charge in 40. Yeah a little long for a stop and is not optimal but they are definitely making strides. As I keep saying, another 5-10 years and we'll be seeing 400+ mile ranges and 30 minute full charges which is where I think the big jump is going to happen. And this is because now that the patents are all released, Honda/Toyota/Ford are going to be competing with each other and Tesla which will drive development further and the prices will go down. GM will too if they can design an electric car that doesn't catch fire and Chrysler too if they can get another gov't loan to do it. No idea bout Nissan/Subaru and the Koreans.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They have supercharging stations all up and down the east and west coast already. You can drive all the way up and down either coast in a Tesla no problem. It does a half charge in 15-20 minutes and a full charge in 40. Yeah a little long for a stop and is not optimal but they are definitely making strides. As I keep saying, another 5-10 years and we'll be seeing 400+ mile ranges and 30 minute full charges which is where I think the big jump is going to happen. And this is because now that the patents are all released, Honda/Toyota/Ford are going to be competing with each other and Tesla which will drive development further and the prices will go down. GM will too if they can design an electric car that doesn't catch fire and Chrysler too if they can get another gov't loan to do it. No idea bout Nissan/Subaru and the Koreans.
I don't have a Tesla or any electric car so maybe im just not noticing them, but, I travel around the West Coast a lot and I have never seen one of these fast charging stations. Ive heard they exist, just never seen one.

They still have a long way to go...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT