Take cats off? Benefits? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Take cats off? Benefits?

Ok so I'm preety fricken pissed off right now because my headers were a no go on my car. My day was just like ***** today. So I don't have the longtubes in there was some problems in install so please don't ask what was wrong wit it. So now I'm deciding to take off the 2 cats I still have and want to knw what's the benefits of taking them off? Thnks in advance
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Increased flow and volume. You'll gain a little from it but nothing super big. The biggest deal is getting the obstructions out of the exhaust allowing it to flow much smoother and have less turns and filters. I have hollowed out cats on my x pipe and that's it. I removed the flowmasters I have and it's just to loud. I did notice a pretty noticeable difference in power however. The better flow, the better power.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What about gas? Or is it even noticable
trejo_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Take cats off? Benefits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut View Post
Increased flow and volume. You'll gain a little from it but nothing super big. The biggest deal is getting the obstructions out of the exhaust allowing it to flow much smoother and have less turns and filters. I have hollowed out cats on my x pipe and that's it. I removed the flowmasters I have and it's just to loud. I did notice a pretty noticeable difference in power however. The better flow, the better power.
why did you remove you flowmasters?
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just was testing the waters really. Plus I'm not a huge fan of the super restrictive flowmasters. They reduce your flow big time. It was a huge difference between not having them and having them.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
Oh ok so an exhaust shop should just be able to cut the cats off and put some piping there?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just was testing the waters really. Plus I'm not a huge fan of the super restrictive flowmasters. They reduce your flow big time. It was a huge difference between not having them and having them.
what serious and they are that restricted ? Which ones sound good on a cobra?

Yea, VEN they can do that for you or just by a h or x pipe without them. Either way is good...
Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Actually by law no exhaust shop is supposed to remove cats. It's a federal law but yea the flowmasters are extremely restrictive and mine have even been blown out and they still are terrible. It was a pretty big gain up top without them.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

I've really only heard. Cobras with a borla catback. I've never heard any other cobra setup but it sounds damn good. I love the signature sound of a 4v motor with that distinct low pulsing wah it has.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

what serious and they are that restricted ? Which ones sound good on a cobra?

Yea, VEN they can do that for you or just by a h or x pipe without them. Either way is good...
Borla stingers or bassani sound amazing on Conrad
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Actually by law no exhaust shop is supposed to remove cats. It's a federal law but yea the flowmasters are extremely restrictive and mine have even been blown out and they still are terrible. It was a pretty big gain up top without them.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

I've really only heard. Cobras with a borla catback. I've never heard any other cobra setup but it sounds damn good. I love the signature sound of a 4v motor with that distinct low pulsing wah it has.
Yea you are right about that its agaisnt the law I forgot been gone to long but my friend had someone that did it for him but under the table.

Where is a good place to pick up the borla exhaust or bassani? Just mufflers because I alread have LT and matching x pipe.

VEN I think the best thing is to just buy them without because a friend has it taken off and a pipe welding in place but that was under the table type deal and it was a hush hush mission because we knew him.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Yea you are right about that its agaisnt the law I forgot been gone to long but my friend had someone that did it for him but under the table.

Where is a good place to pick up the borla exhaust or bassani? Just mufflers because I alread have LT and matching x pipe.

VEN I think the best thing is to just buy them without because a friend has it taken off and a pipe welding in place but that was under the table type deal and it was a hush hush mission because we knew him.
I think American muscle has them both, not sure tho
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh ok well the thing is that I have a bassani x pipe already with 2 cats and I love tht sound it gives it
Old 06-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor98gt View Post
I think American muscle has them both, not sure tho
iight thanks i will look....

Ven- Well if you love them then leave on there cuz Im sure there are some other mods you can do to gain that hp you would receive from removing them.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
No more restriction without cats
Gobabygo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831
Ok so I'm preety fricken pissed off right now because my headers were a no go on my car. My day was just like ***** today. So I don't have the longtubes in there was some problems in install so please don't ask what was wrong wit it. So now I'm deciding to take off the 2 cats I still have and want to knw what's the benefits of taking them off? Thnks in advance
What do you mean by "my headers were a no go on my car". Did you get the wrong headers? I have high performance catted exhaust sys. So you need to provide more info instead of being pissed at your dad. Come clean.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT

What do you mean by "my headers were a no go on my car". Did you get the wrong headers? I have high performance catted exhaust sys. So you need to provide more info instead of being pissed at your dad. Come clean.
PS. What was wrong with it?!!!!!!!!!! I
Old 06-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

For some reason the steering pole or shaft tt goes in betweent one of the headers would his the pipes and it was not going to be drivable even after some modifications it wasn't going to work. So we put everything back on now
Old 06-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Why does everyone think that removing every exhaust component and running the biggest damn pipe available makes loads of horsepower?
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby09
Why does everyone think that removing every exhaust component and running the biggest damn pipe available makes loads of horsepower?
Whos saying this?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
Sounds like it here
Old 06-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
For some reason the steering pole or shaft tt goes in betweent one of the headers would his the pipes and it was not going to be drivable even after some modifications it wasn't going to work. So we put everything back on now
You have the wrong exhaust header. That should not happen. What brand you got?
Also, I meant to say dont be pissed at your day. My phone has auto correct issues. thanks. Back to headers.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
Also, I meant to say dont be pissed at your day. My phone has auto correct issues. thanks. Back to headers.
No header should require any mods. Period. Get a refund. Heck, go BBK. Their mods improve on common difficulties usually experienced with stock equipment. I installed mhy BBK shorties myself, so I know your pain man.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well they bolted up fine and everything but when we tried to steer it it would hit the pipe I needed like 1 more inch to the side and they are pypes

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

No header should require any mods. Period. Get a refund. Heck, go BBK. Their mods improve on common difficulties usually experienced with stock equipment. I installed mhy BBK shorties myself, so I know your pain man.
Delete some of ure inbox. I was going to say also thnks for the help
Old 06-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

No Shelbies here!!! 94-04s only.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No Shelbies here!!! 94-04s only.
Where does it say only?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby09 View Post
Sounds like it here
Shelbys, are great, but you should get into your own forum. Us Old timers are building Horse Power, no buying it. SOHC rules always. My stan is sexy looking, yours is, well, so so. When we boost, WE BOOST, when we show off, we SHOW OFF. Nough said.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
Shelbys, are great, but you should get into your own forum. Us Old timers are building Horse Power, no buying it. SOHC rules always. My stan is sexy looking, yours is, well, so so. When we boost, WE BOOST, when we show off, we SHOW OFF. Nough said.
PS, go stick it in the fast lane. I'll see you there soon.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831

Oh ok so an exhaust shop should just be able to cut the cats off and put some piping there?
They may not do that for you cause of the emissions laws, etc. Maybe after hours, if you know somebody that works there.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This whole app is my forum.. I am a mustang enthusiast just like u say u r.. As well as a nice guy.. U seem Like a prick when someone wants to comment on one of ur comments. As far as ur boost and show comment... Ur hunk of junk is no show and no go.. Enough said
Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:

This whole app is my forum.. I am a mustang enthusiast just like u say u r.. As well as a nice guy.. U seem Like a prick when someone wants to comment on one of ur comments. As far as ur boost and show comment... Ur hunk of junk is no show and no go.. Enough said
+1 on this
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
It doesn't make the most horsepower but its preparing for later on when you go FI.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Where does it say only?
+1
Siendly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi

+1 on this
Ok, welcome. This where the fun is. Sounded like you were blasting 4.6s. See you around.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Don't forget if you remove the cats you will need a tune or mil eliminators.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #32

Region: Illinois
about these cats

hey guys new member and newer ford owner picked up a 96 stang with the 3.8 (unfortunately) about 6 months ago, but it wont be the 3.8 for long. shes been runnin rough these past few weeks, sputtering and **** untill she warms up. did plugs wires coils getting good fuel flow so the only thing left that i can think of without going to far in depth is the cats but the damn thing has 4 cats on it (something i never saw with my camaro or my 68 dart gt) and anyone whose done work on the 3.8 knows the position the first 2 cats are in, the back two im sure i can get off with little to no problem but does anyone got any pointers on how to get thye front 2 off with as little fight as possible?
96workinprogres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
First off, keep it civil everyone. We can all think our cars look great and don't have to bash other ppl's vehicles.

Second, this IS the 96-04 GT forum and the app will have that in categories too so keep the discussion to 96-04 V8s. 05-10, 11-up and the older pushrods have their own forums and so do V6s. I just checked the Android app right now and you can use the browse feature to go into the various forums. Not sure about the iphone but if you are having issues with the iphone app then report it and we'll look into it. Or get a real phone...

Third, removing the stock cats will free up some power, just get an OR pipe. If you are talking about a good set of hi-flow cats... you will see little to no gain removing those. And as lowflyn said yes if you remove the rear bank O2s you need MIL eliminators for the rear sensors and if you remove them all you need MILs for all the O2s.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Lol
Two year old thread...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96workinprogres View Post
hey guys new member and newer ford owner picked up a 96 stang with the 3.8 (unfortunately) about 6 months ago, but it wont be the 3.8 for long. shes been runnin rough these past few weeks, sputtering and **** untill she warms up. did plugs wires coils getting good fuel flow so the only thing left that i can think of without going to far in depth is the cats but the damn thing has 4 cats on it (something i never saw with my camaro or my 68 dart gt) and anyone whose done work on the 3.8 knows the position the first 2 cats are in, the back two im sure i can get off with little to no problem but does anyone got any pointers on how to get thye front 2 off with as little fight as possible?
What I did with my old v6 was get a pole of some sort and bash out the stuff inside the cats. Keep doing that until all that stuff is out and you're good to go.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT