more HP, basic mods for 2000 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Region: Utah
more HP, basic mods for 2000 GT

I kind of asked the question yesterday, but wanted to put it in the appropriate forum..... what are some basic mods I can do to my 2000 GT to increase horsepower and give it a "throatier" sound without it being ridiculosly loud and be cost effective? I would guess a cold air intake is a start for HP, but what else do you suggest? Thanks to everyone for your feedback on this.

Any jackass gets aboard one and runs it from hell to breakfast, blowin' his whistle to beat the band and tellin' the rest of the world to look out for him, because he's comin' and can't look out for himself!
Jack London - The Sea Wolf
sparkylarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: more HP, basic mods for 2000 GT

When I had my 00 GT...I did under drive pullies and a K&N filter. The filter changed the sound of the car nicely...a full CAI kit will be even better. So, those two are relatively cheep...about 400 or so for both total.

Exhaust, you could go with a magnaflow catback with your stock H-Pipe. We have that on our 2002 GT now and it has that muscle sound, but isn't no where near loud like my Borla and offroad X pipe. The magnaflow is a real nice deep muscle sound without any drone and without being obnoxious at all. Just don't get the magnapacks. Those are loud as hell like my exhaust.

The exhuast will run you about 500 shipped from some places. It is stainless steel so you don't need to worry about it rusting out either. IT is a do-it yourself project as well...just cut off your stock exhaust and bolt the new one in. Then, you can sell your GT take off exhaust for a 100 or so to recoup some money.

A custom tune will do wonders if you are an auto. It will add a little more power but make the car just feel completely different in a better way. More responsive, etc. That will run you about $400 from VMPTuning, one of our vendors...with 3 custom tunes on it.

I have some videos I believe of the magnaflow exhaust...I need to see if they have sound or not...depends on what camera was used.

"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Region: Florida

CAI will give ya 2 to 5 HP. Might want to look into X-cal SCT tuner,UDP ( under drive pulley) . as far as exhaust that a highly debated subject .Other will chime in and tell you whats working for them

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Pennsylvania

Im running a jlt cai, bbk lt's, bbk x-pipe and flowmasters along with a custom tune. The sound is pretty fing sweet. Very rumbly and deep like a muscle car should sound. The lt's helped immensly with the throaty sound, and the x-pipe gives it a little different/exotic sound than the normal h-pipe users have.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
Region: Utah

We have a 2000 GT Convertibe. We had some mods made last fall. Before mods were done, I put a BBK CAI on it. It sounded great! The CAI was easy to do. I don't consider myself a mechanic. I wish I knew more. After the mods, the sound changed drastically - WOW!!! The exhaust still needs to be changed out, the stock Cats, H-pipe and Cat-backs are still on. Hopefully this spring-summer we'll get those changed as well. I'm planning High-flow Cats, X-pipe and Cat-backs - All MagnaFlow.

The mods started with new head gaskets. (The passenger side head gasket was oozing.) In the process of removing parts to get to the head gaskets, it was noticed that the timing chain tensioners had a problem. One was broken and the other was almost broken. The timing chain tensioners were replaced. The exhaust manifolds were replaced with BBK shorty headers. The under drive pulley's were changed out except for the water pump pulley. The water pump pulley needed to support the new intake manifold. A Trickflow Track Heat intake manifold was installed. (The replaced intake manifold was only a few months old. Now it sits in the garage. The original intake manifold ruptured-blew and was replaced under warranty.) Other mods made at that time include a SPEC stage 2 clutch, FRPP 3.73 gears and rear end overhaul kit and SCT XCAL2 tuner with agressive 91 octane tune (Premium in Utah).

When I drove the car home - it just didn't feel like the same car I'd grown to love. This was a monster! We hit commuter traffic on the way home. My wife and son said the car was much louder. I think it sounds great! Not to loud If you'd like to hear "my-lil-pony" email me and we can arrange a time when we can meet.

When I learn more about this forum I'll put the mods in a better listing view and include pics.
Lil2kpony is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT