Knock & Ping question - Page 10 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #316
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
Hi folks, bee reading this thread for a bit. I noticed that my IAT was high and caused premature det so I shielded my CAI tube and the filter element with engine spec heah shielding them I data logged. Noticed that whenever my radiator fan came on my IAT dropped 20 to 40 deg. Note, my filter is under hood, not fender well. Researching, air to air cooling. I want to stay NA, for a bit. The air to air cooling will eventually become FI, maybe.
Is the IAT near the MAF on the 4.6L? Interesting info. If the temp reading on the IAT sensor is changing that much when the fan comes on, I would think that is a miss-read. Maybe electrical noise? Bad sensor? That sounds like a possible experiment! I'm not sure, but the IAT sensor (or reading from) could be one of the data points available to the data logging software. Honestly, I have been wanting to play around with this software. Could be a really handy tool to check sensors on our 4.6's.
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #317
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
Hi folks, been reading this thread for a bit. I noticed that my IAT was high and caused premature det so I shielded my CAI tube and the filter element with engine spec heat shielding them I data logged. Noticed that whenever my radiator fan came on my IAT dropped 20 to 40 deg. Note, my filter is under hood, not fender well. Researching, air to air cooling. I want to stay NA, for a bit. The air to air cooling will eventually become FI, maybe.
That's quite understandable if your air intake filter is located under the hood instead of in the fenderwell. What are you using to read the IAT temps?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #318
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

That's quite understandable if your air intake filter is located under the hood instead of in the fenderwell. What are you using to read the IAT temps?
Because it is reading ambient air temp. The stock air box draws its air from the fender wall. The shield that comes with most cai's is to help direct the air that comes through the hole to you filter and not just in the engine compartment. It also is a barrier form engine compartment heat and debris. The IAT on a 4.6 from 02 up is one with the MAF sensor the 96-01 is located on the tube itself. I myself have a filter and no shield. Looking to get a new setup myself.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #319
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad View Post
Because it is reading ambient air temp. The stock air box draws its air from the fender wall. The shield that comes with most cai's is to help direct the air that comes through the hole to you filter and not just in the engine compartment. It also is a barrier form engine compartment heat and debris. The IAT on a 4.6 from 02 up is one with the MAF sensor the 96-01 is located on the tube itself. I myself have a filter and no shield. Looking to get a new setup myself.
Yes, that's what I figured. Even with the shield, when the fan comes on it is probably pulling/pushing cooler air to the filter which would explain why the temp drops. Although the shield does block some of the under hood hot air and debris, it is not effective at blocking it all.

On the older EFI Mustangs there were issues caused by engine compartment mounted CAI air filters and the MAF sensor being affected by turbulence caused by the cooling fan and ambient air entering the engine compartment at speed. The only real cure was to move the air intake filter into the fenderwell or put it back into a fenderwell mounted intake box, to remove any chance of turbulent interference. I'm not sure if the newer Mustang MAFs are as susceptible to that as the older ones, but I guess it is possible that they would be.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #320
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Found this while looking for a pic of the two elements inside the MAF.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #321
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That's a 01 to 04 maf if i remember the 99 to 01 still had only 4 wires qhile the 02-04 had an iat integrated.....i just plugged my two wires from the iat into a 6 wire maf works just fine. But if u have a bung for the iat just use 99-01 maf
Old 10-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #322
Registered Member
Regular

I did add this to my write up. I had to go to the pre 02 style because I have a 01 cobra setup. I am looking for a mach maf though.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #323
Lorraine's driver

Regular

My 91R rev5 tune seems to be pretty clear of causing any pinging. It's too late in the year for high temps outside, but I feel pretty good about it. I asked Bama for the Performance and Street tunes, based in this 91R as the Racing tune. I got my tunes yesterday. I think I'll try the 91P tune and see what she does.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #324
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah Azure. My 91 tunes (bama) (race and perf) both ping still after 4 rewrites. The latest tune they left me more options open tho. I run 1%richer at wot and 1 degree less timing and it seems to be ok. It's def happier in the cold air now.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #325
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
Yeah Azure. My 91 tunes (bama) (race and perf) both ping still after 4 rewrites. The latest tune they left me more options open tho. I run 1%richer at wot and 1 degree less timing and it seems to be ok. It's def happier in the cold air now.
Yupadoodle on the cold weather power. ~40-60 degF, it's like a monster. Have you had some snow up there yet?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #326
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Yupadoodle on the cold weather power. ~40-60 degF, it's like a monster. Have you had some snow up there yet?
Lol I've noticed that myself. Runs so smooth when its cooler out. Doesn't like the rain.... which is weird because my 2v loved the damp cold. Well colder air equals denser air which means more power production, better fuel atomization.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #327
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah we are getting some light snow right now. Car pulls hard in freezing temperatures. Which is too bad because the tires just spin in the cold. Ill be throwing my winters on soon sadly. They spin on a 2500 rpm 3rd gear punch on dry roads haha. But there's no denying the braking capabilities of them on snow and ice. Cooper weather master st2 for those interested.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #328
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

Yeah we are getting some light snow right now. Car pulls hard in freezing temperatures. Which is too bad because the tires just spin in the cold. Ill be throwing my winters on soon sadly. They spin on a 2500 rpm 3rd gear punch on dry roads haha. But there's no denying the braking capabilities of them on snow and ice. Cooper weather master st2 for those interested.
There's no winter tires for me. My stead goes into hibernation for the white stuff.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #329
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Yeah, it's just breaking my heart thinking about the road salt. Gonna have to wait a while before I can get a beater.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #330
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, it's just breaking my heart thinking about the road salt. Gonna have to wait a while before I can get a beater.
I know where there is a little s10 up here for 1100.00 2wd ext cab. 2.2l 5spd. Its a good little runner
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #331
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I want a little beater too but I already have winter rubber and there is something fun being the fastest car on the road come November haha. That and stringing together huge drifts is alot of fun. Where I live we get awesome chinooks and we only had 5 days of real winter driving last year. Most of the time it's pretty dry out.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #332
Road Trip!

Quote:
The best thing to do is to wash it very frequently. Keep the salt off the car as much as possible.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #333
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
The best thing to do is to wash it very frequently. Keep the salt off the car as much as possible.
I'll have to hit the local no-touch car was here in town. I think it has an underbody spritzer too.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #334
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'll have to hit the local no-touch car was here in town. I think it has an underbody spritzer too.
Jealous! I wish we had those here but I've never seen one. I sometimes take a jack with me and get the car in the air a bit so I can spray some **** off the suspension and engine. Especially after a oil change when you get oil all over the brake lines and rack from the filter.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #335
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post

Jealous! I wish we had those here but I've never seen one. I sometimes take a jack with me and get the car in the air a bit so I can spray some **** off the suspension and engine. Especially after a oil change when you get oil all over the brake lines and rack from the filter.
Ha! Yes, pretty easy access, but not for oil drainage from the filter. I bought an extra funnel this last time to catch and divert the oil in a container, Fail! Got it in the wrong spot and just made a bigger mess.

Nomad, do the teksid blocks have the oil filter mount in the same place as the wap blocks?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #336
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ha! Yes, pretty easy access, but not for oil drainage from the filter. I bought an extra funnel this last time to catch and divert the oil in a container, Fail! Got it in the wrong spot and just made a bigger mess.

Nomad, do the teksid blocks have the oil filter mount in the same place as the wap blocks?
All 4.6L/5.4L are all the same with different adaptors for different models.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

I just use a couple of decent rags to keep oil out the channel. I have minimal mess
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #337
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad View Post

All 4.6L/5.4L are all the same with different adaptors for different models.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

I just use a couple of decent rags to keep oil out the channel. I have minimal mess
Sounds like that works better than my extra funnel idea
Old 10-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #338
Registered Member
Regular

I do what I can with it but end up spraying it down with brake cleaner.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #339
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Snap on has a flexible sheet of plastic for oil changes. Several sizes available. Can bend it to any shape. Works great.
Bleem@1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #340
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleem@1 View Post
Snap on has a flexible sheet of plastic for oil changes. Several sizes available. Can bend it to any shape. Works great.
That sounds cool. Can you buy Snap-on stuff online now? Used to just be through dealers, didn't it?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #341
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Umm not sure. I have a rep at work😄. If not there web site should let you locate a dealer in your area.
Bleem@1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #342
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleem@1 View Post
Umm not sure. I have a rep at workdde04. If not there web site should let you locate a dealer in your area.
Just went to their website. Looks like you can buy online now.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #343
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Got all three of my new tunes loaded on my tuner and decided to flash the street tune (91S). Getting ready to perform the idle re-learn and go for a spin.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #344
Road Trip!

Lightem up baby!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #345
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Lightem<-- up baby!
Ha! Caught by the auto correct?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #346
Road Trip!

Quote:

Ha! Caught by the auto correct?
What are you talking about?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #347
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

What are you talking about?
I thought you meant "I just dropped a baby!"
Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #348
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Got me!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #349
Road Trip!

Quote:
Got me!
Lmao..
Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #350
Lorraine's driver

Regular

The 91 Street tune is working pretty good. I can certainly tell its not the race tune. Idle is smooth and WOT is strong.

It still sounds great too. I noticed when I was on my stock tune, my exhaust had more garble-pop than when it was tuned. An example would be somewhat similar to a car with some glass pack-hybrid kinda mufflers on it when they let off the accelerator coming up to a stop light...little bit of pop here and there. Glass packs on a classic muscle car sound pretty good. Broken a$$ glass pack sound on a modular engine...NO<----

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT