Knock & Ping question - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #176
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Nope, you did just fine.
The 14.1 is the perfect ratio scenario, which almost never happens.
Is this reading the output you'd see from a wide band A/F gauge?
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #177
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Knock & Ping question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Yes, the air/fuel or A/F ratio.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #178
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Is your car equipted with wideband sensors stock? Or is that even new models? Just wondering cause I'm sure your data logging should contain that information also.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #179
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Is your car equipted with wideband sensors stock? Or is that even new models? Just wondering cause I'm sure your data logging should contain that information also.
No gauge, but there was a ton of points that you can record from the data log program. I'm not sure what the label of that reading is called. When you were researching for your teeny tiny gauge, I found one that uses your iPhone connected to your ODB2 port. I lost the dang link from recent iPhone reset

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Here is what Bama wanted to monitor...

COOLANT TEMP
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM BANK 1
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM BANK 2
LONG TERM FUEL TRIM BANK 1
LONG TERM FUEL TRIM BANK 2
MAF AD COUNTS
LOAD
SPARK SOURCE
SPARK
BATTERY
VEHICLE SPEED
RPM
Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #180
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

a/f monitor that connects from iphone to obd2 port??? where is this? free app or something
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #181
Road Trip!

Quote:

No gauge, but there was a ton of points that you can record from the data log program. I'm not sure what the label of that reading is called. When you were researching for your teeny tiny gauge, I found one that uses your iPhone connected to your ODB2 port. I lost the dang link from recent iPhone reset

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Here is what Bama wanted to monitor...

COOLANT TEMP
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM BANK 1
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM BANK 2
LONG TERM FUEL TRIM BANK 1
LONG TERM FUEL TRIM BANK 2
MAF AD COUNTS
LOAD
SPARK SOURCE
SPARK
BATTERY
VEHICLE SPEED
RPM
That's a lot of stuff.

When I say wideband I meant the actual sensor. I know they didn't have the gauge stock, but maybe use the sensor for the ecu? The wideband sensor is a type of o2 sensor, just more accurate than the standard o2.

On my car, I don't have an obd2. Stock they are obd1. But I am not running the ecu since I am carbed. The little panel meter I got. Is actually just a volt gauge. I had to get that style instead of a normal volt gauge because I am just using it to keep my wideband gauge calibrated. To calibrate the gauge it has 2 wires that you read the output voltage. Usually I assum most people just use a multimeter. But I want to be able to check calibration anytime. I couldn't use a standard car volt gauge because they don't read less than 8 volts. I am gonna be reading around 2-3 volts.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #182
Road Trip!
Supporter

Sometime the O2 sensors are listed as HEGO in tuner language.

Not to be confused with SHEGO, which is what happens when you spend to much time with your car.

That would be a good one to add if it is on there.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #183
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

That's a lot of stuff.

When I say wideband I meant the actual sensor. I know they didn't have the gauge stock, but maybe use the sensor for the ecu? The wideband sensor is a type of o2 sensor, just more accurate than the standard o2.

On my car, I don't have an obd2. Stock they are obd1. But I am not running the ecu since I am carbed. The little panel meter I got. Is actually just a volt gauge. I had to get that style instead of a normal volt gauge because I am just using it to keep my wideband gauge calibrated. To calibrate the gauge it has 2 wires that you read the output voltage. Usually I assum most people just use a multimeter. But I want to be able to check calibration anytime. I couldn't use a standard car volt gauge because they don't read less than 8 volts. I am gonna be reading around 2-3 volts.
I understand now. I didn't realize they are advanced O2 sensors. I've been searching through WIT (what it takes) cause it was one of those companies that offered an iPhone connector to ODB2 so you could use their app to monitor. Searching is not as easy on the little screen (smurf font)

Makes me wonder how long those stock sensors last, although I don't have a CEL showing
Old 08-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #184
Road Trip!

Yeah I also seen similar apps. I have also seen obd2 scanners. These apps require purchase of a cord. But its still cool none the less and probably cheaper than a scan tool.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

I'm not sure how long they last but I believe you can test them. I just don't know the procedure off hand
Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #185
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Not to be confused with SHEGO, which is what happens when you spend to much time with your car.
Or WEGO
Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #186
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I think it was this from Innovate Motorsports...

Innovate Motorsports OT-2 - Transform your iPhone or iPod into a wireless gauge, data logger, dyno, efficiency meter and OBDII scan tool.

Maybe something like this would be handy, assuming you could obtain results from adjusting global timing with the SCT tuner? I'm not sure if the tuner allows users timing adjustments within RPM ranges. I know Bama can do this. Your tune needs to be unlocked for any changes to be made.

I finally got a new Motorcraft PCV valve this morning. Thinking about poping that on here during lunch. I thought it would be something quick to rule out of my pinging probs.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #187
Road Trip!

Quote:
I think it was this from Innovate Motorsports...

Innovate Motorsports OT-2 - Transform your iPhone or iPod into a wireless gauge, data logger, dyno, efficiency meter and OBDII scan tool.

Maybe something like this would be handy, assuming you could obtain results from adjusting global timing with the SCT tuner? I'm not sure if the tuner allows users timing adjustments within RPM ranges. I know Bama can do this. Your tune needs to be unlocked for any changes to be made.

I finally got a new Motorcraft PCV valve this morning. Thinking about poping that on here during lunch. I thought it would be something quick to rule out of my pinging probs.
That app does look pretty sick. If I could use it I would probably give it Hell.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #188
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Well the PCV was a little more oily than I remember my foxes ever being...?

The valve was moving, so I don't know if it was malfunctioning, but I suppose I should get on of those PCV pre-filters.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #189
Lorraine's driver

Regular

By the way, the PCV valves are $33 at O'Reilly bend over parts.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #190
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well the PCV was a little more oily than I remember my foxes ever being...?

The valve was moving, so I don't know if it was malfunctioning, but I suppose I should get on of those PCV pre-filters.
Yes a prefilter is a good idea. If you still get oil I would get an oil seperator. Plus they look cool.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Quote:
By the way, the PCV valves are $33 at O'Reilly bend over parts.
^
Old 08-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #191
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Yes a prefilter is a good idea. If you still get oil I would get an oil seperator. Plus they look cool.
I've got a connection on the other side as well. This goes into my air intake before my TB. Should I do the same^ on that side too?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #192
Road Trip!

I'm not sure what you mean? The prefilter should be on the crankcase side or opposite side of the intake, if that's what your asking.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #193
Road Trip!
Supporter

O2 and a lot more sensor and component tests - Easy Auto Diagnostics
Old 08-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #194
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean? The prefilter should be on the crankcase side or opposite side of the intake, if that's what your asking.
My PCV is on the drivers side, then on the passenger side I have a tube connected to the valve cover over to the air tube before the throttle body. Check out the pic.

Attachment 61729

Should I put an oil separator on this too?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #195
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
O2 and a lot more sensor and component tests - Easy Auto Diagnostics
Oh thanks TH, that's excellent!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #196
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
My PCV is on the drivers side, then on the passenger side I have a tube connected to the valve cover over to the air tube before the throttle body. Check out the pic.

Attachment 61729

Should I put an oil separator on this too?
Google it. There are diagrams showing how to put the oil separators (you will need 2) on the 4.6.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #197
Lorraine's driver

Regular

^Cool, I'll check the google.

I think I remember you mentioning before that the little bit of oil coming in the engine can cause detonation too, right?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #198
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hey Azure, my mach sounds like its pinging at similar points to yours but I'm not sure it is... my shaker mount rattles under load a little when the engine torques over it bends the mount and the spacers rattle. Sounds a lot like pinging... I took the shaker off completly and ran the car hard and no more pinging noise. Note... dont go too fast. The.hood is not designed to have air flow into it.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #199
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
^Cool, I'll check the google.

I think I remember you mentioning before that the little bit of oil coming in the engine can cause detonation too, right?
It could if there was much of it.
Oil burns, so your ECU may sense that your mixture is to rich and reduce the pulse width of the injectors to take out some fuel. That combined with what burned oil will eventually do to the O2 sensors could conceivably cause several issues.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #200
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Hey Az,
Thought you got another tune file from bama(after the datalog) and the pinging was gone?
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #201
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
Hey Az,
Thought you got another tune file from bama(after the datalog) and the pinging was gone?
Yup, I did. This new tune did eliminate the pinging. However, I was having odd random "boggyness". I was starting to get concerned that the tune had been touched too many times. I flashed to a basic stock tune with 373 gear correction I asked Bama to make, before leaving for work this morning. No pinging, but typical sluggy stock feel, and with the gear correction.

Today, I replaced the PCV valve and noticed a good difference in overall performance. I flashed to the 91P tune that came with my tuner, just to see how I'd did. NO PINGING! She ran really strong too. The old valve was not froze, but it was coated with oil. Should be some pics up a few posts. I guess i need to invest in an oil separator. Anyway, that seemed to make a huge difference. I will run with the canned 91P tune for a week or so, if all is well. I like the 91P tune so far. I feel better knowing there is some bad gas wiggle room too. Now if the pinging would just never come back.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #202
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yup, I did. This new tune did eliminate the pinging. However, I was having odd random "boggyness". I was starting to get concerned that the tune had been touched too many times. I flashed to a basic stock tune with 373 gear correction I asked Bama to make, before leaving for work this morning. No pinging, but typical sluggy stock feel, and with the gear correction.

Today, I replaced the PCV valve and noticed a good difference in overall performance. I flashed to the 91P tune that came with my tuner, just to see how I'd did. NO PINGING! She ran really strong too. The old valve was not froze, but it was coated with oil. Should be some pics up a few posts. I guess i need to invest in an oil separator. Anyway, that seemed to make a huge difference. I will run with the canned 91P tune for a week or so, if all is well. I like the 91P tune so far. I feel better knowing there is some bad gas wiggle room too. Now if the pinging would just never come back.
Good stuff man. I have a little ping still I think too... I'm out of injector at 5200 rpm at wot so I ordered bigger injectors and am in the market for a bigger maf...
Old 08-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #203
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

Good stuff man. I have a little ping still I think too... I'm out of injector at 5200 rpm at wot so I ordered bigger injectors and am in the market for a bigger maf...
After seeing your HP, you probably would benefit from more fuel and a bigger MAF.

Is your pinging high pitched, kinda like beebee's in a tin can? You know how it sounds when someone shuffles two stacks of playing cards together? I think it sounds kinda like that only if the cards were thins sheets of metal.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #204
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

After seeing your HP, you probably would benefit from more fuel and a bigger MAF.

Is your pinging high pitched, kinda like beebee's in a tin can? You know how it sounds when someone shuffles two stacks of playing cards together? I think it sounds kinda like that only if the cards were thins sheets of metal.
Yes. That's exactly what it sounds like. I only ping at the point when I floor it and when the car retards timing due to lack of fuel. If I can get the fuel in fast enough and keep building power I should hit 370 mayb 380 peak... I really want to rip this engine open and see what the hell has been done to it. No way a intake tune exhaust nets over 100 crank hp hahaha. I sense a custom dyno tune in my not too distant future.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #205
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Pinging is still present. I was driving home from work and noticed it at WOT when I punching it after shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I believe I'm done messing around with this. I feel like I'm beating my car up just to get it tuned. I switched back to a tune that only has the gear change correction.

My last ditch request today was for Bama to create a tune that has tiny changes for performance. Of course, I'm put to the back of the line because if the 2011+ problems they are having (SCT prob). I asked the guy about Mach1's and he mentioned that they are finicky to tune. He said some respond well without probs and others are like mine. Boy, we could have saved a lot of time and engine pinging had we discussed this the first time I had issues..

Does anyone know information about the Strategy Tune features in these tuners?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #206
Road Trip!
Supporter

I don't know anything about those, but I think you need a tuner that you can adjust on the fly like the PMS. Then you would be able to pull a few degrees of timing out or add it back in when you needed to, even while driving down the road. Just pull over, stop, adjust, then be one your way. To bad they don't make them for your car.

Can you get them to tell you what ranges are and the numbers mean in some of the readings and how to convert the numbers to more easily understood values?

With the capabilities of today's electronics and computers I can't understand why someone hasn't built and programmed a tuner that is easily understood and is user programmable for all aspects of tuning the engine. I guess they are making to much money keeping everyone in the dark.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #207
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Pinging is still present. I was driving home from work and noticed it at WOT when I punching it after shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I believe I'm done messing around with this. I feel like I'm beating my car up just to get it tuned. I switched back to a tune that only has the gear change correction.

My last ditch request today was for Bama to create a tune that has tiny changes for performance. Of course, I'm put to the back of the line because if the 2011+ problems they are having (SCT prob). I asked the guy about Mach1's and he mentioned that they are finicky to tune. He said some respond well without probs and others are like mine. Boy, we could have saved a lot of time and engine pinging had we discussed this the first time I had issues..

Does anyone know information about the Strategy Tune features in these tuners?
Hey man, if I were u I would get it on a dyno. See if you're running out of injector like I am.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #208
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Hey man, if I were u I would get it on a dyno. See if you're running out of injector like I am.
Would you ever get a code from your injectors, like a misfire or something? I'm not getting any probs causing a CEL.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Quote:
I don't know anything about those, but I think you need a tuner that you can adjust on the fly like the PMS. Then you would be able to pull a few degrees of timing out or add it back in when you needed to, even while driving down the road. Just pull over, stop, adjust, then be one your way. To bad they don't make them for your car.

Can you get them to tell you what ranges are and the numbers mean in some of the readings and how to convert the numbers to more easily understood values?

With the capabilities of today's electronics and computers I can't understand why someone hasn't built and programmed a tuner that is easily understood and is user programmable for all aspects of tuning the engine. I guess they are making to much money keeping everyone in the dark.
Yes, I wish they did have something like that! I would take the time to become an expert, so to speak, of dialing in my engine.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #209
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Would you ever get a code from your injectors, like a misfire or something? I'm not getting any probs causing a CEL.
Mine doesn't, the engine does ****** timing tho.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #210
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Mine doesn't, the engine does ****** timing tho.
Maybe I need to get some new injectors..?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT