Knock & Ping question - Page 9 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #281
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Yeah, there's a crap load of other adjustments they can make that we don't see. One of them is something like; when you tromp on it going WOT, the ECU initially retards timing by 10deg then advances. The tune cuts this to 5deg, hence the increased throttle response we have. That's an example, but you see what I mean. There is also more fuel adjustments they can make.

I hope to datalog this week and report back to Mike this week as well. I'm waiting for warmer temps.

I got to looking up pinging on the mach1registry.org website and there was some discussion about the MAF screen and how everybody removes it. I had removed this too, but I got to thinking, what of my pinging is due to an inaccurate air measurement? The lack of the MAF screen could definitively cause an inaccurate reading as the screen evens the air across the MAF sensor.

I decided to put my MAF screen back in my system last night. I had to rig it some to make sure the MAF housing corners don't break, but I got it in securely. I'll test this out for a while to see what happens. I'm still waiting a bit for the idle to relearn properly, but we'll see what happens.

Checkout the dirt line. That is where the shaker fitting connects. That tells how much air the shaker is really providing. It's more than people think.
Yeah, on the highway your moving a lot of air through it.
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #282
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Well, no dice. Having the MAF screen in place does nothing for the pinging. I know, it was a long shot. I was hoping it would improve the MAF sensor reading and adjust fuel accordingly. I'll datalog later this week and send Bama some data. Hopefully, that will help them out.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #283
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: Knock & Ping question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Well, no dice. Having the MAF screen in place does nothing for the pinging. I know, it was a long shot. I was hoping it would improve the MAF sensor reading and adjust fuel accordingly. I'll datalog later this week and send Bama some data. Hopefully, that will help them out.
Change your gas to 93 for a tank see if that helps
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #284
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad View Post

Change your gas to 93 for a tank see if that helps
Oh I've been running with 93 since I bought it in Feb. I think that's one of the things that has been so troublesome.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #285
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Oh I've been running with 93 since I bought it in Feb. I think that's one of the things that has been so troublesome.
Well are you using the same gas station? You could try this. Run 3 gallons of E85 mixed with 11 gallons 93 octane. Run it for one tank, for the entire tank until close to empty.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #286
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Well are you using the same gas station? You could try this. Run 3 gallons of E85 mixed with 11 gallons 93 octane. Run it for one tank, for the entire tank until close to empty.
Yeah, same station since Feb too. It Shell. Is BP any good?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #287
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yeah, same station since Feb too. It Shell. Is BP any good?
ive always heard of bp having great gas. but its funny you ask that because today on the radio i heard a thing about bp having bad gas. i forgot how many cars it affected. bp was telling anyone affected to call there hotline.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #288
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post

ive always heard of bp having great gas. but its funny you ask that because today on the radio i heard a thing about bp having bad gas. i forgot how many cars it affected. bp was telling anyone affected to call there hotline.
Oh crap, I heard the news, but didn't pay attention to who it was. What about Marathon?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #289
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

From the south Chicago suburbs all the way to Milwaukee they delivered a batch of bad gas not only to bp stations but also centron and a few other small stations they were saying upwards of 80,000 cars could be affected
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #290
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360

From the south Chicago suburbs all the way to Milwaukee they delivered a batch of bad gas not only to bp stations but also centron and a few other small stations they were saying upwards of 80,000 cars could be affected
thats more than i had thought. i only live about 40 minutes from downtown chicago. so imma be careful. i use speedway so hopefully im good. lol
Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #291
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post

Ouch! Could you imagine? Talking about mad. I wonder if they'll make a "sorry" commercial like South Park did of the BP vice pres?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #292
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

thats more than i had thought. i only live about 40 minutes from downtown chicago. so imma be careful. i use speedway so hopefully im good. lol
You should be they gave out a list of the stations last night on am 780 luckily speedway wasn't one of them!!!

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Quote:

Ouch! Could you imagine? Talking about mad. I wonder if they'll make a "sorry" commercial like South Park did of the BP vice pres?

Bp is telling everyone to fix there cars and send them a repair bill and people are pissed , one guy on the radio was like how can I send them a bill for my car when I don't have the money to fix it!!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #293
Road Trip!

Quote:

lol. thats funny
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #294
Lorraine's driver

Regular

If BP's management was a car, I'd be a Yugo!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #295
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If BP's management was a car, I'd be a Yugo!
Lmao!!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #296
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Alrighty! I completed another datalog session yesterday afternoon. It was good conditions for it as it was ~90 outside. I had a copilot this time. My wife manned the laptop and it made the whole process much easier to do. This time I had pinging right after shifting into 2nd gear, just not very much. It hasn't done that for the past two tune revisions, so I'm guessing the extra passenger added to the load. Still happening with WOT right after switching gears 2 - 3 and 3 - 4. I sent the CSV file to Bama this morning, so I hope they have a chance to work on a new revision.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #297
Registered Member
Regular

Azure how far are you from Rockford il? There is a shop out there called modular powerhouse , they only tune mod motors, from all the people I've talked to this summer so far said they are the best tuners in Illinois, I've talked to Tim (owner) a few times and he is a super great guy and takes time to listen and answer all your questions, most of the fastest cars in our club are tuned by him and he's known for getting the maximum amount of power on the safest tune possible, like I said he only tunes ford mod motors, I know it sucks to have to pay for a tune , but the car will be tuned on a dyno and for our climate, just putting it out there he is definitely worth the trip!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #298
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
Azure how far are you from Rockford il? There is a shop out there called modular powerhouse , they only tune mod motors, from all the people I've talked to this summer so far said they are the best tuners in Illinois, I've talked to Tim (owner) a few times and he is a super great guy and takes time to listen and answer all your questions, most of the fastest cars in our club are tuned by him and he's known for getting the maximum amount of power on the safest tune possible, like I said he only tunes ford mod motors, I know it sucks to have to pay for a tune , but the car will be tuned on a dyno and for our climate, just putting it out there he is definitely worth the trip!
Looks like about 5 hours. That is not so much of a prob. It would be worth the trip. I feel like I need to give Bama a chance since they switched me to working with their lead programmer. It would be a bummer to have to pay again for tuning, but I will do it if I need to. I still have low miles, so I think it would be worth it in the long run. I really appreciate the info man!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #299
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I've got another updated tune from Bama last week. Bama does have some great customer service. I'll flash it tonight. The bummer is that I will not get to test it for another few weeks as I'm in the middle of breaking in my new clutch. This is 91R-version5. I hope this gets it done. I'll data log this tune as well, as requested. I'm ready to switch to a performance or street tune and obviously, I want no threat of pinging.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #300
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've got another updated tune from Bama last week. Bama does have some great customer service. I'll flash it tonight. The bummer is that I will not get to test it for another few weeks as I'm in the middle of breaking in my new clutch. This is 91R-version5. I hope this gets it done. I'll data log this tune as well, as requested. I'm ready to switch to a performance or street tune and obviously, I want no threat of pinging.
I'm on version 3 and still fighting with it. It was still pinging so I dialed 1 degree. Back on the 4-8 and 1 point richer at wot and i havent heard anything. But it doesn't pull as hard. Still. Safe is better.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #301
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
still at it?!

damn... i was away from site for a while. Azure- you've had multiple tune files rewritten by bama and still have this?! sounds crazy. Have you considered trying brenspeed??? I think they charge $75 for 1 tune and are supposed to be really good. Just a thought. Btw, are you 4v or 2v(sorry... too lazy/busy this a.m. to go thru all the posts!)

I myself have 2v gt, and still have pinging on my tune; at bama suggest, i changed fuel filter finally last week. no change in symptom, and frankly didn't expect to see one. my new plugs(ngk 3403, v-power plat) are going to be here tomorrow, but i don't have much hope for that either. the other thing bama did say was to try plain copper, or colder heat range. wondering if either of you guys have tried this. i would do it, but don't feel like spending another 50-60 bucks on new plugs for a test. (it'd be great if i could find someone local who has extra sets of either!)

check back with you guys soon-
joe
p.s. also got my new mac prochamber bolted up last week!
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #302
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
damn... i was away from site for a while. Azure- you've had multiple tune files rewritten by bama and still have this?! sounds crazy. Have you considered trying brenspeed??? I think they charge $75 for 1 tune and are supposed to be really good. Just a thought. Btw, are you 4v or 2v(sorry... too lazy/busy this a.m. to go thru all the posts!)

I myself have 2v gt, and still have pinging on my tune; at bama suggest, i changed fuel filter finally last week. no change in symptom, and frankly didn't expect to see one. my new plugs(ngk 3403, v-power plat) are going to be here tomorrow, but i don't have much hope for that either. the other thing bama did say was to try plain copper, or colder heat range. wondering if either of you guys have tried this. i would do it, but don't feel like spending another 50-60 bucks on new plugs for a test. (it'd be great if i could find someone local who has extra sets of either!)

joe
Hi folks. What up AZ! Had to piggy back to post. Anyways, figured out son about pinging; engine temp! High MAF temps seem to be contributing to it. Working on cooling intake tubing. More to follow on separate post. Now that I have 270+ RWHP, my challenge is engine lungs on NA specs. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #303
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked View Post

joe
Good to hear from you imhooked! Unfortunately, I haven't really been able to test it out fully, because I got a new tranny and clutch. I'm only at ~450 miles and I need another couple hundred to complete the suggested clutch break-in. So far, the new tune has been okay. We'll see soon. Hopefully the weather will warm up back in the 80's when I reach 750 miles.

I still have Autolite 104's in my ride. I plan to switch to the NGK TR6 plugs if I can finds some locally. They sell the TR55's on American Muscle. I want a touch colder plug. The primary reason for the change is that I found out from another member that they have a few more threads on them, which is good for 4.6L heads.

Awesome about your new prochamber mod!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #304
Registered Member
Regular

Az,
Yeah, break that clutch in first before pounding thru the gears. Hope the new tune is better. Btw, I thumbed through some of the posts... thinking you're car is a cobra? What other mods were done if any? Particularly air intake, throttle body/plenum, and fuel delivery stuff. The one thing I've been wondering I guess is if bigger injectors and fuel pump upgrade would help the situation, for everyone experiencing the problem in general. Maybe I'll call and ask Bama myself today.

I know about the colder heat range plugs too. Like I said was thinking about plain 104's, or trying the tr6, but bought TR55. Bama suggested the plugs and f-filter so figured I'd do it as I've got 62K on the car. but as stated previous, i am skeptical; The color, burn pattern and gap on my OE plugs really looked fine. Plugs should be here today, and hopefully no rain as predicted so I can drop 'em in. All for now-
Joe
and yeah, thanks! Mac pro chamber is the $#!t

---------- Post added at 05:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 AM ----------

I see right at the bottom of you're post brief description of your ride!

Anyway, anything else besides the cold air, tune, and gears? Later!
Joe
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #305
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I see right at the bottom of you're post brief description of your ride!

Anyway, anything else besides the cold air, tune, and gears? Later!
Joe
Ha! I wish it was a Cobra! It's an 2004 Mach1. They do have a DOHC that is basically similar to the 99-01 Cobra's

As far a mods, that's about it. I'm planning to go with a Magnaflow exhaust and debating a H mid pipe or the pro chamber. Haven't decided yet. After that, only little things are planned, like sequential tail lights, etc.

Yup, can't wait till I can tromp on it!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #306
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs down on a prochamber. not my cup of tea there.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #307
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Thumbs down on a prochamber. not my cup of tea there.
Is it the sound or fitment that you don't like? Or both? I have never personally heard the pro chamber in person, only video.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #308
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is it the sound or fitment that you don't like? Or both? I have never personally heard the pro chamber in person, only video.
I would say both but that's my thing. I prefer a true X. I would say the design of my Bassani is a compromise of both X and chambered. But I have to say matched with my headers I love it. I like a more tight raspy sound as oppose to the chevy 350 sound. Mod motors are ment to sound tight and clean. This week ill have that vid of the drive behind.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #309
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

I would say both but that's my thing. I prefer a true X. I would say the design of my Bassani is a compromise of both X and chambered. But I have to say matched with my headers I love it. I like a more tight raspy sound as oppose to the chevy 350 sound. Mod motors are ment to sound tight and clean. This week ill have that vid of the drive behind.
Cool man, I'll keep an eye out for it! I'd like to hear more of your exhaust setup.

You have Bassani X, Mac cat back, what were you headers?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #310
Registered Member
Regular

thumbs down to MAC Pro Chamber... that pretty harsh man.

anyway, it's all personal preference. i personally cant stand the sound of x pipes, particularly when paired with bassani or slp loudmouths... find it annoying, and i always felt it'll just attract the cops. but 'each to his own' as they say.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #311
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
thumbs down to MAC Pro Chamber... that pretty harsh man.

anyway, it's all personal preference. i personally cant stand the sound of x pipes, particularly when paired with bassani or slp loudmouths... find it annoying, and i always felt it'll just attract the cops. but 'each to his own' as they say.
I like the deeper more classic muscle car sound. So far, an H pipe and Magnaflow or Borla is wining my favor.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #312
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cool man, I'll keep an eye out for it! I'd like to hear more of your exhaust setup.

You have Bassani X, Mac cat back, what were you headers?
Bassani 4v Mid length headers
Old 10-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #313
Registered Member
Regular

Id like to get a decent HD camera that will pick up sound better. My phone although captures 720p the sound isn't that great. I'm thinking about getting a gopro camera. But yeah my exhaust consits of Bassani headers and X pipe, with Mac cat-back. Also guys remember that the heads themselves will heed different exhaust tones. 2v engines will sound different from there 4v kin. Ported heads will also change the note. So keep that in mind when looking for a setup. I found a Cobra online (youtube). I found it when building my engine. It has the same setup that I was going with but sounds different from mine. So there are variables to consider. Also just because you have that cool muscle grunt sound could also mean that you robbed ur self of power getting it. Shop wise.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #314
Registered Member
Regular

Or H and flow 40 mufflers for me.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #315
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Hi folks, bee reading this thread for a bit. I noticed that my IAT was high and caused premature det so I shielded my CAI tube and the filter element with engine spec heah shielding them I data logged. Noticed that whenever my radiator fan came on my IAT dropped 20 to 40 deg. Note, my filter is under hood, not fender well. Researching, air to air cooling. I want to stay NA, for a bit. The air to air cooling will eventually become FI, maybe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT