Exhaust questions! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Exhaust questions!

Have a '99 GT and I have all stock components except for a set of Flowmaster 40's. I want to change up some things up to be louder and more aggressive. I have been considering SLP LM1 swap out.

What are some other options to utilize the flows already there? Don't really want to change the headers yet. What else could be done? X or H pipe? Don't really understand where the cats are and what they do. I know. I'm a dad to three little ones and probably know more about Nickelodeon than my own Pony!
daddydigest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
American thunder catbacks would fit your mufflers perfect, sounds great and has a pretty good gain. That's what I have and I love it
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
The slp 1 swap would be a great one that's what I have and I love it!! You can be loud when you want to when you get on it it's loud I have just the cat back later getting the x pipe but it's a great exhaust!! But you know everyone has there own taste I like to be loud!!
RUNNWLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you wanted a whole new exhaust I would say go with an X pipe and Magnaflow flow, that's what I have when you get on it its loud and very deep tone. But I don't know if you want to spend that much.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I've been here. First know H pipes provide deep bass to quiet sound. X pipe gives more of a howling sound (raspy), sharp, depending on manifold header app. Take a look at BBK OR X mid , or H mid pipes at BBK page. Since you got babies, I recommend Hs for you. Hs won't wake up till you gas the engine. If you gonna use the Stang for the kids too, lose the FMs; they howl a lot, actually, all the time. Since you still have stock headers, I bet they produce a high whine. Mine did. I loved it, but unfortunately that only happens with stock headers. However, I do like flows because they do provide signals to the driver about engine performance. They produce a deep rich growl when conditions are proper, and taper off when it not; they get quiet. I can dang near tune by it. Cooler is better. Wish you the best. Remember, using mid pipes allows for upgrades to shorty headers or long tubes. It gives you flexibility all the way to the race track.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Loudmouths are great!!! But if your kids are ganna be in the car with you, I Wuldnt gas it to hard because those are rediculous loud!
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Exhaust questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
I've been here. First know H pipes provide deep bass to quiet sound. X pipe gives more of a howling sound (raspy), sharp, depending on manifold header app. Take a look at BBK OR X mid , or H mid pipes at BBK page. Since you got babies, I recommend Hs for you. Hs won't wake up till you gas the engine. If you gonna use the Stang for the kids too, lose the FMs; they howl a lot, actually, all the time. Since you still have stock headers, I bet they produce a high whine. Mine did. I loved it, but unfortunately that only happens with stock headers. However, I do like flows because they do provide signals to the driver about engine performance. They produce a deep rich growl when conditions are proper, and taper off when it not; they get quiet. I can dang near tune by it. Cooler is better. Wish you the best. Remember, using mid pipes allows for upgrades to shorty headers or long tubes. It gives you flexibility all the way to the race track.
Great info! Thanks! The kids like the loudness...it's mom who doesn't!

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Loudmouths are great!!! But if your kids are ganna be in the car with you, I Wuldnt gas it to hard because those are rediculous loud!
The kids that are 4, 6, and 10 LOVE it!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydigest

Great info! Thanks! The kids like the loudness...it's mom who doesn't!

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

The kids that are 4, 6, and 10 LOVE it!
Haha them some good kids then
Old 06-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So....if I leave the Flows on there what would be the best thing to go with? If I replaced the flows with a LM1 that would start where in the exhaust system and go to the tips? I don't think I know what all exactly components are under there and what order they are in. Examples maybe? Like engine....headers....cats...dunno the order....

BTW Trying to keep it on the less expensive side since the wife may be like "whats wrong with what you've got?"
Old 06-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Surprisingly no one has suggested going to YouTube. That's a good way to see what you like.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So....if I leave the Flows on there what would be the best thing to go with? If I replaced the flows with a LM1 that would start where in the exhaust system and go to the tips? I don't think I know what all exactly components are under there and what order they are in. Examples maybe? Like engine....headers....cats...dunno the order....

BTW Trying to keep it on the less expensive side since the wife may be like "whats wrong with what you've got?"
Engine...headers...midpipe....(cats are like on the midpipes)....catback....tip sumone correct if I'm wrong
Old 06-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258 View Post
Surprisingly no one has suggested going to YouTube. That's a good way to see what you like.
Great idea! Surprised I didn't think of it either.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Great idea! Surprised I didn't think of it either.
Haha yeah that's all I did before I bought my mustang because I loved the sound.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I would do slp lmm1 with a slp catted x or a o/ r x with them will sound great lots of looks.
sonicstanggt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust