96 SVT Cobra 4.6 L. Let battery run low now AC wont work help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
96 SVT Cobra 4.6 L. Let battery run low now AC wont work help!

Was detailing my car and listening to the radio. The battery was already low from not driving it in a few weeks. The car only has 42K miles and was a garage queen. The battery went low enough car would not start. Before this car ran great and AC blew very cold. I jump started it. Then put in garage and put on a battery tender. Tonight we tried to go for a ride and

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney
Was detailing my car and listening to the radio. The battery was already low from not driving it in a few weeks. The car only has 42K miles and was a garage queen. The battery went low enough car would not start. Before this car ran great and AC blew very cold. I jump started it. Then put in garage and put on a battery tender. Tonight we tried to go for a ride and
Sorry hit send before I was finished. Tonight we tried to go for a ride and rough idle and no AC. It appears the compressor isn't even kicking in. Any ideas? How long does it take to reset the ECU. It's going to be 102 tomorrow I really need AC. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
maybe the compressor clutch got stuck?
bluekswiss_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: 96 SVT Cobra 4.6 L. Let battery run low now AC wont work help!

Where is the compressor on a modular engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
its easy to spot it if you get under the car, but its visible from the top as well its on the left bottom, if your in front of the car, or just follow your serpentine
bluekswiss_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekswiss_04
its easy to spot it if you get under the car, but its visible from the top as well its on the left bottom, if your in front of the car, or just follow your serpentine
Might want to check your Constant Control Relay module
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Where is the constant control relay module. I looked at it closer today. Ac clutch not kicking in. Checked wiring, and fuses. Fuses are fine. Cleaned wiring contacts best I could no improvement. Would low freon keep clutch from kicking in? Should there be 12v at wires going into clutch when ac is on? What determines if clutch should be engaged? Thanks, Dave
Old 07-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #7

Region: California
Quote:
Where is the constant control relay module. I looked at it closer today. Ac clutch not kicking in. Checked wiring, and fuses. Fuses are fine. Cleaned wiring contacts best I could no improvement. Would low freon keep clutch from kicking in? Should there be 12v at wires going into clutch when ac is on? What determines if clutch should be engaged? Thanks, Dave
I think we have similar issue. I've narrowed my bad idle down to the compressor. I have power at the AC compressor connector when the AC is turned on but my compressor never engages and my servicing is good. It also only idles rough when the AC is on. I found a used compressor on eBay for $50...at the part store new they are $200 and reman about $180.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdanger231

I think we have similar issue. I've narrowed my bad idle down to the compressor. I have power at the AC compressor connector when the AC is turned on but my compressor never engages and my servicing is good. It also only idles rough when the AC is on. I found a used compressor on eBay for $50...at the part store new they are $200 and reman about $180.
I've also checked all fuses, switches and wiring as well as changed the ccrm(located under the passenger front fender! Just remove plastic fender well to access) I'm going to change the compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube next weekend and hopefully that fixes my issue!
Bdanger231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I never had this happen before but when I worked a Gm dealership and the batteries would go low to where the car wouldnt crank sometimes the AC wouldnt work on some cars and trucks. What we did was we disconnected the plug from the back of the AC control unit (the thing with the AC knobs) for like 5-10 mins and plugged it back up, itself is a module so thats how you reset it on a GM. You can try this and see if it works....Or like Big said it might be the relay.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Southern. I already disconnected the battery overnight while I charged it. Thinking this would reset any modules. So that should be the same as disconnecting any module. It's really strange and maybe just a coincidence that something went bad at same time as battery went low. It doesn't make sense that that would effect anything. Tomorrow I'm going to check that power is getting to the ac clutch when ac is turned on.

Trying to find location of low pressure switch and what it looks like. Is the only way to get to ccrm is to pull passenger tire and then inner fender well? Can I get to it by just turning tire hard towards outside? What does ccrm do?

I'm definitely going to buy a shop manual. Has anyone bought one of the shop manuals on DVD off eBay ? Are they good? Thanks, Dave
Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #10

You can get to the CCRM without taking off the tire. I did it. Also, the low pressure switch is located by the firewall above your accumulator! I bought a haynes manual off eBay got $15.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdanger231 View Post
You can get to the CCRM without taking off the tire. I did it. Also, the low pressure switch is located by the firewall above your accumulator! I bought a haynes manual off eBay got $15.
Ok must you pull off the inner fender wall?
What does the ccrm look like? What part of the fender wall must I remove? Thanks again, Dave
Old 07-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #12

It's pretty simple. It is located above your front passenger tire but I just removed 3 or 4 fender well retaining screws and pushed the fender well out of the way. You will need a 8 or 9mm socket to remove the screw holding it to the connector. Here is a link I found on google for location.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...0&bih=306#i=40

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

I'm also selling my CCRM on eBay because nothing was wrong with it. I have a 97 gt so let me know if you want it. I could let it go for $40.

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

End time: Aug 6, 2012 11:12:51 PDT

View item:
FUEL PUMP FAN Multi Function RELAY CONTROL MODULE F6SF-12B577-AA TYPE R COBRA

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

First time I saw the posting about ccrm. Cool I should know in a day if I need it. Just took car to garage. I checked coil on the AC clutch and it reads open. I pumped 12 volts in it and nothing happened. So it appears at least the clutch is bad. Dave
Old 07-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #14

I'm sure my clutch is bad but I don't have the tools to change it myself so I decided to just change the compressor out myself! Waiting on it to come in the mail...
Old 07-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Sorry hit send before I was finished. Tonight we tried to go for a ride and rough idle and no AC. It appears the compressor isn't even kicking in. Any ideas? How long does it take to reset the ECU. It's going to be 102 tomorrow I really need AC. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
I keep saying, no electrics, no power, no anything. Check the battery. Everything runs through it. Follow the wiring map if you wish.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
I keep saying, no electrics, no power, no anything. Check the battery. Everything runs through it. Follow the wiring map if you wish.
I guess your talking to me, OP. Battery is fine it's an almost new Optima Red Top. I ran low because we hadn't driven car in a long time and I was detailing for 2 days with radio turned up so I could hear it. I put it on battery tender over night and it cranks over and starts fine. Everything is good now except ac clutch. Waiting to hear from garage tomorrow. Dave
Old 07-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #17

Dave, let me know what they tell you. I'm hoping my inoperable AC clutch/compressor is my problem as well. I'm still waiting on the compressor to come in the mail. I plan in swapping compressor, accumulator, and
Orifice then taking it to shop to be evacuated, filled and charged with 134a. I'll let you know of I get mine fixed.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

My mechanic tells me it's the CCRM or the relay module that controls the fuel pump, cooling fan, AC clutch, and ECM power. The part new from Ford is $273. A member here mentioned he had one on eBay for $40. I found another on eBay an hour from me for $40 so I went and picked it up tonight. Made a good contact a knowledgeable young guy in his late 20's who dissects MUSTANGS in salvage yards. He showed me the inside of one. If this fixes mine I'm going to take mine apart and try to fix it for a spare. It's a circuit board with basically 3-4 relays, a few transistors, and a couple of caps and resistors. Pretty simple. In most older cars the relays would be easily replaced and not in a module so cheaper to fix. But Ford put them in one expensive module. I should know by tomorrow afternoon if this fixes mine. I hope so. Because everything else works on my car but the AC clutch. I did see on Rockauto.com you can by the complete compressor, or just the clutch, or even just the clutch coil. I'll keep you posted. Dave
Old 07-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #19

Mechanic told me it was my CCRM Also but he was wrong. I changed it and it still didn't fix my
AC or the idling issue. My compressor came in the mail today and I will swap it out along with all the other AC components in the morning and have it serviced back up. I'll let you know if the new AC compressor fixes my AC and my
Idle issue...
Old 07-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well if he's wrong I'm only out $40 and not $273. I asked him how he figured it was bad. He said easy have power going in and none coming out of AC Pins. I hope he's right but per my measurements I think the clutch is bad. Could be both. I'll keep you posted also. Thanks, Dave
Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #21

I thought you said you had power at the AC clutch connector with the AC switch on? That would mean you have power through the CCRM. Just trying to save you some time and effort. The CCRM was an easy swap though. Good luck
Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

No, no power at the connector with AC ON. Weird thing happened while testing it, with connector off the AC clutch the car would turn over but would not start. As soon as I connected it back up, it started right up. When I put 12V to the clutch it did not engage, but it was tight under there and I may have not been getting a good connection. I have bad feeling CCRM and clutch are bad. Though I talked to a very reputable AC shop and they told me they NEVER in 40 years heard of jumping a car causing the clutch to go bad.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #23

Hmmm...does sound weird that it wouldn't start with the AC connector not connected but when It was connected it did start...crazy
Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Could have something to do with possible bad CCRM Since it controls fuel pump also. Made no sense to me, but as soon as I reconnected it, she started right up.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Update: garage replaced the CCRM. AC ran fine for 15 minutes then stopped again. The checked current drain of AC clutch coil. They say it's ok. Any other ideas of what could be causing this? Not sure at this time if it blew the CCRM again or something else. Thanks, Dave
Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Have them check the high pressure switch and low pressure switch to see if they are good.....
Old 07-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #27

Region: Ohio

If you are getting power to the CCRM then the cycling switch( by the firewall) and the pressure switch( by the radiator) are both working.
98fdcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fdcobra View Post
If you are getting power to the CCRM then the cycling switch( by the firewall) and the pressure switch( by the radiator) are both working.
Thanks, do you think that the heating/AC control may have anything to do with it? Or is it most likely the AC Clutch is intermittently drawing too much current or just cutting out? Thanks in advance for any information. I wish I had a wiring diagram or block diagram of how the AC electricals interact.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

By the way, I've been searching Mustang Internet Forums for information on this issue. Currently there are 3 other 96-98 Cobra owners with the exact same issue. That seems odd. As far as I know the AC system of the Cobra is no different than that on any other V-8 Mustang of the same vintage. Am I correct in that?
Thanks, Dave
Old 07-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #29

I found these and hope they can help in troubleshooting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0001.pdf (716.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: pdf scan0002.pdf (697.2 KB, 133 views)
Old 07-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up Re: 96 SVT Cobra 4.6 L. Let battery run low now AC wont work help!

98fdCobra Thanks so much, that really helps. Where did you find these? I know where and what the CCRM module does. Do you know where the PCM's that are on the diagram are located in the car. If this diagram shows the true layout of the HVAC control then it is just a switch and no electronics so it should not be an issue. I actually went to school for electronics back in 79-81. But got out of that field and became a Photographer in 91 though I still try to fix things when I can. I saw the inside of the CCRM I thought the clutch coil was controlled by a relay but according to this it's controlled by a transistor. There's a larger one heat sinked to the case, that's probably it. If you can show me where I can get more like this, that would be cool. If not I'll buy the service manual off eBay. Thanks again, Dave.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #31

The PCM is located behind the passenger side kick panel. My dad actually got this from his work. I just so happen to have it sitting here on my desk as I was looking it over.. and over and over. lol
Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Oh so the PCM is the brain, ECM, BASICALLY THE COMPUTER that controls everything, right? Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

IT'S FIXED!!!! Ok got it back today from garage. Here's what they found. Somehow 2 wires were partially pulled out of the plug going into the CCRM. This allowed them to temporarily arc between each other shorting out the AC clutch control transistor in the CCRM. When they replaced the CCRM it worked for 15 minutes then quit. They concluded these wires were intermittently making connection causing the clutch to only work sometime. Once they reseated the pins in the connector and put a little silicon on them to hold them and keep them from arcing, it worked consistently. I hope do go on a long drive tomorrow and prove that out. So for anyone experiencing similar problems check that all of your wires are seated well inside the connectors. Also the circuit diagrams provided in the PDF's a few postings up were very helpful in troubleshooting the AC electrical system. Thank you to everyone who provided tips and ideas. Also if you need a source of used modules or a great garage in the Reading PA area, drop me a message. I'm so happy to have my baby back! We have a Volvo wagon and my DD is a 1990 V-6 Ranger with 160K miles and nothing compares to driving the Cobra. Thanks, Dave
Old 07-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Good deal man....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
svt