2000 gt manual trAns mission - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Region: Texas
2000 gt manual trAns mission

Want to flush my trAns fluid out and I did research on it. But the fill bolt? Look more like a plastic bulb, boy quarter size stuck in there. I don't think this is factory. Can anybody help me?
Ponyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Re: 2000 gt manual trAns mission

I believe the best thing to do is to take off your shifter, bolts, cover etc. See where the fluid level is and mark this for memory (but obviously check the owners manual/haynes on how much fluid you need). Then drain the old fluid, then refill from the actual bottom part of the shifter. At the same time you can clean all the Sh*$ that has collected in their over the years. I'm sure this probably isn't the only way, but their is an easy youtube vid on how to remove and install an MGW shifter so if you follow that video online it should be no problem.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyup
Want to flush my trAns fluid out and I did research on it. But the fill bolt? Look more like a plastic bulb, boy quarter size stuck in there. I don't think this is factory. Can anybody help me?
Don't sound like you have the fill port. That bulb is a vent. Look lower for the stamped fill word. Below that plug (3/8" drv), is the drain plug(3/8" drv).
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Best way to fill it is thru the dipstick. And you should check for capacity for tranny oil change with filter change. Imo i have a auto tranny.....for now. And i redid my fluids with filter and gasket. I filled it with 4 qts first thru the dipstick then i turned the car on and put in 2 more qts cycled from park to drive and revved motor on drive holdin the brake to move liquid around thru tranny and converter. Put back in park measure and repeat until in the hot range mark for full on tje dipstick. But that's imo i work as a mechanic lol
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyup
The fill plug should be about 3" straight above the drain plug.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT