Spark plug blow out? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Spark plug blow out?

Wish I knew it was common that the spark plugs strip and blow out of the head on 4.6 fords.. POS!!! Chevys dont do that lol Anybody know if the P.I. Heads do that too?
Illdrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illdrag
Wish I knew it was common that the spark plugs strip and blow out of the head on 4.6 fords.. POS!!! Chevys dont do that lol Anybody know if the P.I. Heads do that too?
My 01 GT does.
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Yep that sucks been down that road too
2000steeda029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Got an '04 GT and it don't!.. Haven't seen a Mustang personally do it either!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Yep my 01 did it twice, sux. I took my car to ford they heli-coiled one for about $300 and it was fixed.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Thanks for the input guys.. Yea if I had to dish out 300-600 on that I'd be flipping out.. But I have the kit, it was $50.. It'll take me no longer than 30 mins to fix. This is why I opened my own shop so everybody doesn't get ripped off.. If any of you have this happen to u and live in the Cleveland Ohio area, I can fix it for $75-100. And ford should of had a recall, seeing that it is very common.. I hear it's real common on high mileage engines, but mine only has 36,000 and it did it.. It has to be a casting issue...
Illdrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illdrag
Thanks for the input guys.. Yea if I had to dish out 300-600 on that I'd be flipping out.. But I have the kit, it was $50.. It'll take me no longer than 30 mins to fix. This is why I opened my own shop so everybody doesn't get ripped off.. If any of you have this happen to u and live in the Cleveland Ohio area, I can fix it for $75-100. And ford should of had a recall, seeing that it is very common.. I hear it's real common on high mileage engines, but mine only has 36,000 and it did it.. It has to be a casting issue...
From what I understand is, some years had only like 3 threads the plugs screwed into. My uncle has an Expedition and he has had the same problem twice. If I had the money I would just have all the plugs fixed so it doesn't happen again. I took mine to a performance shop here in Houston and he said its very common with these engines.
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
You have to change them out when the engine is cool. Not cold, not warm or hot but cool. If you change them when the engine is warm or hot you are DOOMED to have a spark plug blow. If you start hearing a ticking sound like the sound of an exhaust leak its more than likely a plug is loosening and shut the engine OFF!!! My car has 93,000 miles on it and I'm terrified to change the plugs.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09
You have to change them out when the engine is cool. Not cold, not warm or hot but cool. If you change them when the engine is warm or hot you are DOOMED to have a spark plug blow. If you start hearing a ticking sound like the sound of an exhaust leak its more than likely a plug is loosening and shut the engine OFF!!! My car has 93,000 miles on it and I'm terrified to change the plugs.
Lol. I've always changed mine out when it is cold!.. Use a little Loc-Tight and have had zero problems!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
Got an '04 GT and it don't!.. Haven't seen a Mustang personally do it either!..
04s have different heads
trejo_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Bump from 2012 but my stang did this tonight =(
The cop shattered but I was able to put a new plug in and I got it home. I knew the loud ticking earlier in the day was weird butt should I worry?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
19robby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Unfortunately, yes, you should be worried. I don't know how you were able to get a new plug in there and make it stay but it will undoubtedly blow out again if you don't get it repaired correctly.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
probably cross threaded it back in lol
I have junk heads.. maybe not junk but used in my shed out back that I may just Time sert all the plug holes so if I ever get a blow out I can swap heads and never worry again. I need to have them cleaned up first though probably.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
PI heads are any 99-up 2V heads so... yeah anything from 99-03 has the potential to do it. Hell, even a revised 04-up head with the 8 thread plug holes can strip being aluminum.

The biggest reason that plugs blow out or strip is because dumbasses do the plugs without using a torque wrench, yes a torque wrench. 12-15 ft lbs is factory spec which is BARELY more than hand tight. To this day I still see ppl saying "I have a calibrated wrist" or "I've always done hand tight and then 1/4 turn and it's always been fine". Those are the same ppl who have to pay (or DIY) the timeserts.

I'm actually doing the plugs on my 03 Expy tomorrow, that should be interesting but does not look too bad. Room to work at least... Will be torquing to 12 ft lbs with plenty of anti seize and rebuilding the COPS.

This is not to say that plugs can't blow out for other reasons but, as I mentioned, the #1 culprit is owners who overtighten the plugs.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Another reason that I heard was because the previous heads had something like 4 threads and the later heads got the 8 thread treatment to help prevent the blowouts. But usually it comes down to the owner not using proper torque and reinstalling plugs while the engine is still too hot or too warm for the change to happen.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT