Car has B&M short shift kit, getting harder to get in reverse. Any fixes? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Car has B&M short shift kit, getting harder to get in reverse. Any fixes?

Have a 96 SVT Cobra with 42K miles. I bought it one year ago. Previous owner installed or had someone install short shift kit. When we first bought car we were impressed with how easy and smooth it shifted. Have only put 2400 miles on it in a year. It's not as smooth and getting harder to get into reverse. Car is in for inspection and AC issue now. I asked mechanic to see if there were any adjustments to make it smooth again. He tells me there aren't any, and it feels to him like a short shift should. Is he right, are there no adjustments and or install tweaks that might make shifting smoother? It's a factory 5 speed. Thanks, Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've got an 01 5 speed. Started having the same problems and it ended up being the clutch cable. Eventually it broke one day on the way to work. I was having to start off in second gear and reverse was a pain. You have low miles, but you never know.
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Car has B&M short shift kit, getting harder to get in reverse. Any fixes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Pony View Post
I've got an 01 5 speed. Started having the same problems and it ended up being the clutch cable. Eventually it broke one day on the way to work. I was having to start off in second gear and reverse was a pain. You have low miles, but you never know.
+1 and when I had my 97 Gt the reverse syn when out so mine did the same thing as yours....

But I def would check the cable though.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
How would you check the.clutch cable I got the same problem in 3 and 4
trejo_03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT