A different gear thread than the normal "what one to get" questions! (PLUS NEW #s!) - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

Oh, wow thats crazy I have changed my gears three times and still the same bearings other then the pinion bearing. No issues yet but my car was babied.

The cobra I might go ahead and change the bearings while im at it.
I live in a really bumpy area so that's why mine were bad. I figure it never hurts to change them while you're in there.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Re: A different gear thread than the normal "what one to get" questions! (PLUS NEW #

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
Sorry the question was for Cody ! My bad! Southernstang00 it sounds like you have a pretty nice build going also!
ohok I didnt know lol....thanks....

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
I live in a really bumpy area so that's why mine were bad. I figure it never hurts to change them while you're in there.
oh, gotcha I def agree with you on that and im going to do that.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: A different gear thread than the normal "what one to get" questions! (PLUS NEW #

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan with your build, what color do you plan on painting her? And do you plan on any suspension mods , like going with a coil over set up or anything along those lines?
I will be painting it back to the same performance red, I love this color! And yes, I will be getting a full tubular front end, subframe connectors and coil overs on all 4 corners. I already have rear control arms. It should be alot of fun and alot of money but it will be worth it.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post
It shouldnt take you that long if you have everything ready and done it before and everything goes well. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

You think with 72000 miles, should I change out the diff bearings?
Well the gears are in! Everything turned out pretty well. I worked on it on and off through the day today and just finished. All together I put in about 7 hours of labor. This was not a bad install at all!!! I did it with the help of my girlfriends dad and neither of us have ever done this kind of thing before. Just take your time and follow the instructions and you will have no issues! After doing one now I think people are crazy for paying $500 to have someone else do it
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post

Well the gears are in! Everything turned out pretty well. I worked on it on and off through the day today and just finished. All together I put in about 7 hours of labor. This was not a bad install at all!!! I did it with the help of my girlfriends dad and neither of us have ever done this kind of thing before. Just take your time and follow the instructions and you will have no issues! After doing one now I think people are crazy for paying $500 to have someone else do it
Well thats good then, I have done them before so its a little easier for me cuz I know how to do it. Good job though, you learn something new every day and the only reason I would think about paying someone (200 bucks at the most) is because my air compressor isnt strong enough to crush the crush sleeve. I got lucky last time with the electric impact wrench but I think it is worn out from it now. I think last time it took me like 4 hours to do it. Its really not that hard of install really.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson

I will be painting it back to the same performance red, I love this color! And yes, I will be getting a full tubular front end, subframe connectors and coil overs on all 4 corners. I already have rear control arms. It should be alot of fun and alot of money but it will be worth it.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

My buddy's gt is performance red that is a great color ! He blackedout the center of his hood tho to kinda look like the Mach 1 stripe but he went a bit wider. Any specific brand of parts your looking at ? Maximum motorsports sells very high quality suspension parts everything I've seen from them is top notch! Bet you can't wait for the break in period to be over so you can stomp on you beast a little bit !
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360

My buddy's gt is performance red that is a great color ! He blackedout the center of his hood tho to kinda look like the Mach 1 stripe but he went a bit wider. Any specific brand of parts your looking at ? Maximum motorsports sells very high quality suspension parts everything I've seen from them is top notch! Bet you can't wait for the break in period to be over so you can stomp on you beast a little bit !
I will be doing some black accents as well. As for the suspension, you are correct everything will from MM. And YES!! Just driving around slow I can feel that the acceleration is going to be better. 18 miles down....472 to go ughhh
Old 07-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I don't mean to hijack your thread here but I have a quick question. I have a 2000 gt. I got it off the showroom floor in 2000 with 2.7 miles on it. Now it has 175000 and is all stock with automatic and my window sticker says I have 373 gears. I'm starting to get a whine in the back when I let off the gas so should I change to 410 gears when I replace the bearings in the rear? And by the way I'll have to pay someone to do it because I've had 4 operations on my knee and another in a few weeks and still can't walk. Thanks for all your input in advance.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
I don't mean to hijack your thread here but I have a quick question. I have a 2000 gt. I got it off the showroom floor in 2000 with 2.7 miles on it. Now it has 175000 and is all stock with automatic and my window sticker says I have 373 gears. I'm starting to get a whine in the back when I let off the gas so should I change to 410 gears when I replace the bearings in the rear? And by the way I'll have to pay someone to do it because I've had 4 operations on my knee and another in a few weeks and still can't walk. Thanks for all your input in advance.
I dont see why you couldnt go to 4:10's esp being stock. If it wasnt for the cams and stuff I have on it or about to do I would have go with 4:10. I have a 2000 GT auto as well and when I was pretty much stock with your basic bolt ons I went 4:10's and loved them and saw a nice track time as well. Going from 373 you will see some difference but nothing like going from stock to 410's. I vote yes....
Old 07-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

With over 175000 miles on my gt is there any suggestions as to what to do next. I have done all the required maintenance replaced fuel pump and filter a month ago as well as all cops. I guess I need to get new shocks they are stock as well hell even all the lights even the headlight bulbs are still factory.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Depends, have you changed the plugs? and my personal favorite that most over look which can rob you in fuel milage and power is clean the throttle body. Other then that unless you plan on putting mods on it you have done everything really...
Old 07-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Put new plugs in at 155000. I've used fuel system cleaner in the tank. How do you clean the throttle body?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
Put new plugs in at 155000. I've used fuel system cleaner in the tank. How do you clean the throttle body?
ohok thats good then. They easiest way to do it is take the throttle body off and clean it. You will be able to clean it better. To clean it you can just go to a parts store and buy some throttle body clean. If you dont want to take the TB off you can just simple take the intake off the TB and spray the cleaner in there and use a lint free rag and wipe out all of the carbon build up infront of the butterfly. Then, open the butterfly and do the the same thing with the clean and rag but you might have to use a small screw driver to reach behide the butterfly. You can prolly youtube "how to clean a throttle body" or something like that. Its just something I like to do every 30 miles with my cars.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Well guys I've been driving pretty much non stop. I have about 70 miles left on the break in. I can't wait to be able to really lay into it. I've rolled on about 3/4 throttle and about 2psi and the car pulls like a freight train!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Well guys I've been driving pretty much non stop. I have about 70 miles left on the break in. I can't wait to be able to really lay into it. I've rolled on about 3/4 throttle and about 2psi and the car pulls like a freight train!
Wait until you can really open her up , the first time that a$$ squats , the hood rises, and the way the torque pulls you back in the seat I'm sure will put a big smile on your face!!!! Hell, I still smile every time I do that! I'm going for a drive!!!!! LOL!!!!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Lol me too. I'm going on a 30 mile drive. I need 20 more miles to break it in and that will leave me 10 miles left coming back to have some fun with
Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Haha I remembered when I went through the break in phase and man when I got through it was awesome lol
Old 07-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #52
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Did you have stock gears before your gear swap?

Also, glad to hear your keeping your baby!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Did you have stock gears before your gear swap?

Also, glad to hear your keeping your baby!
Yes I swapped from stock gears to the 3.73s. And I'm glad too!! I finally got the break in done and it's a blast!!! I've been ripping through the gears!! And surprisingly enough traction hasn't been a huge problem!

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

I can wait to swap pulleys and get a retune!! It's gonna be a monster!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #54
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Yes I swapped from stock gears to the 3.73s. And I'm glad too!! I finally got the break in done and it's a blast!!! I've been ripping through the gears!! And surprisingly enough traction hasn't been a huge problem!

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

I can wait to swap pulleys and get a retune!! It's gonna be a monster!
God, I bet! You're gonna hafta re-train yourself from a dig. You thought your car had balls before... Now look
Old 07-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Lmao that's great. I have pretty much got it figured out now it wasnt too bad
Old 07-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #56
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Awesome! I'm sure it was fun getting it down again. Do you have to have a handheld tuner when you get your car dyno tuned?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

It's best to but not completely necessary
Old 07-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
What tires/size you running with?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Right now I'm running 275/45/17 all the way around. But I will eventually get a set of 315/30/17 drs for the back
Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Those are the same wheels I have I think except mine are silver.

That is largest size tire for the rear on those wheels?

17x9 I think?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah on a 17x9 I wouldnt go over a 275. When I get the 315s I'll be getting a set of 17x10 for the rear
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Cody.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

No problem!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT