A different gear thread than the normal "what one to get" questions! (PLUS NEW #s!) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
A different gear thread than the normal "what one to get" questions! (PLUS NEW #s!)

Well guys, I have decided to keep my blown GT. I havent been on here as much lately so for you guys that dont know me, about 6 months ago I put a Vortech supercharger on my GT with full bolt-ons and Longtubes. I made just 370hp/380tq at 8psi on a SUPER conservative tune. But I have become bored with power. So I have decided to install a set of 3.73 gears, change supercharger pulleys, and get a retune.

Normally I would lean toward 4.10 gears but with already being supercharged, I feel that traction would be a big issue. Also, I dont need the extra help on the bottom end that bolt on GTs need. I am excited to see how the gears will help out my pull through the gears.

Also, I will be swapping to a 3.12" pulley and upping my boost to around 11-12 psi. I will then be getting a new dyno tune. I hope to put down around 420 at the wheels!
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'm glad to see your keeping your set up and in glad you are stepping it up a notch! I have 3.73 gears in my car and I'm glad I went that route especially with FI ,almost everyone I talk to who is running 4.10's says they wish they had the 3.73's the other guys are running slicks and complaining about breaking axels! LOL!!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson
Well guys, I have decided to keep my blown GT. I havent been on here as much lately so for you guys that dont know me, about 6 months ago I put a Vortech supercharger on my GT with full bolt-ons and Longtubes. I made just 370hp/380tq at 8psi on a SUPER conservative tune. But I have become bored with power. So I have decided to install a set of 3.73 gears, change supercharger pulleys, and get a retune.

Normally I would lean toward 4.10 gears but with already being supercharged, I feel that traction would be a big issue. Also, I dont need the extra help on the bottom end that bolt on GTs need. I am excited to see how the gears will help out my pull through the gears.

Also, I will be swapping to a 3.12" pulley and upping my boost to around 11-12 psi. I will then be getting a new dyno tune. I hope to put down around 420 at the wheels!
How well is your bottom end going to hold up?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Bottom end should do just fine. It's plenty capable of handling 430 at the wheels with a good tune

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360
I'm glad to see your keeping your set up and in glad you are stepping it up a notch! I have 3.73 gears in my car and I'm glad I went that route especially with FI ,almost everyone I talk to who is running 4.10's says they wish they had the 3.73's the other guys are running slicks and complaining about breaking axels! LOL!!
Exactly! And yeah I love this car alot! Just need to keep myself from getting bored
Old 07-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bottom end should do just fine. It's plenty capable of handling 430 at the wheels with a good tune

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Exactly! And yeah I love this car alot! Just need to keep myself from getting bored
Awesome. I was just curious since everybody always says 10 psi is the max it could hold.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen some go higher with no issues
Old 07-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hm sweet. Well good luck
Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree! A guy in our club has a vortech v2 running 13 lbs of boost has comp stage 2 cams and puts down 436 rwhp all with 100 k on the stock bottom end! It's for sure all about the tune ! I also feel safe about pushing the 2 v as long as the tune is safe
Old 07-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I agree! A guy in our club has a vortech v2 running 13 lbs of boost has comp stage 2 cams and puts down 436 rwhp all with 100 k on the stock bottom end! It's for sure all about the tune ! I also feel safe about pushing the 2 v as long as the tune is safe
Amen brother. And I just turned 70,000 miles so I've got plenty of miles to go!!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Amen brother. And I just turned 70,000 miles so I've got plenty of miles to go!!
If it blows there's always forged internals waiting! Lol
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
My old 2v set up had 449rwp and 408 torque. I had this on my car when I drove it daily for over 2 years. Stock bottom end and stage 2 cams. I eventually broke a valve spring. Waiting on new motor right now to get back from machine shop. That 3.73 will be nice with a 5 speed go 4.10 with a 6 speed
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Re: A different gear thread than the normal "what one to get" questions! (PLUS NEW #

Mzilla your just one step ahead of me! A build simillar to yours is what I will be doing soon I hope. Im just trying to keep myself entertained for now. I cant wait to see where I end up. Im hoping to be just shy of your old numbers
Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mzilla your just one step ahead of me! A build simillar to yours is what I will be doing soon I hope. Im just trying to keep myself entertained for now. I cant wait to see where I end up. Im hoping to be just shy of your old numbers
I know right. The only problem now is the next step is a big one minimum 10k. Oh well you only live once
Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I have priced out everything I want to do. I figure it will take me a year to tear it down paint and upgrade everything I want. I'm looking at about 16,000!! But like you said, you only live once! And for 16,000 I will have a brand new car inside and out that will put down 700hp
Old 07-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I have priced out everything I want to do. I figure it will take me a year to tear it down paint and upgrade everything I want. I'm looking at about 16,000!! But like you said, you only live once! And for 16,000 I will have a brand new car inside and out that will put down 700hp
The funny part is my good friend that owns Injected Engineering here in the North Atlanta gave me his Teksid block which saved me a good bit. You should check them out they do alot Of late models. They also have some good youtube vids
Old 07-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Okay I will have to check them out! Think you could get me a deal??
Old 07-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay I will have to check them out! Think you could get me a deal??
I definitely can get you a good deal Aric (owner) and I have known each other almost twenty years. His shop builds some Of the most ridiculous cars around Atlanta. He has built cars for several professional athletes, musicians, and rappers. It's my toy store haha!!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilla

I definitely can get you a good deal Aric (owner) and I have known each other almost twenty years. His shop builds some Of the most ridiculous cars around Atlanta. He has built cars for several professional athletes, musicians, and rappers. It's my toy store haha!!
That sounds awesome man! Is he who is building your new motor?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Re: A different gear thread than the normal "what one to get" questions! (PLUS NEW #

I have a 00 gt waiting on me that has all the bolts you can have with LT headers and new engine with forged internals. The heads are trick flow ported and polished with stage three cams. Soon as I get home im adding a v-2 or v-3 vortec with cooler and dyno tune...think this is going to be a beast?
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

That is what I plan to build in the future! Forged internals, TFS heads, stage 2 blower cams and a V1 with around 18-20 psi. It will be a beast for sure. The combo I just listed will be 650-700 at the wheels
Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

why V-1? As long as im in the 10's or 11's im good and im done I dont want to go any faster. I could settle for high 11's as well.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I like the V1, plus I already have one. And to be high 11s wont take anywhere near that. I have just shy of 400 and I can run mid 11's all day long
Old 07-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

oh, ok gotcha im thinking about the v-3 so I dont have to drill holes in the pan. I alsome looking at the v-2 as well....Once I put the charger on im done with the mod, I will go to getting it painted with a new hood and wing.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I like having the oil feed and drain to/from the oil pan. I have an NPT bung welded into my oil pan along with braided steel lines and anodized fittings so that there is zero worries about leaking. There are two things I like about the non-selfcontained V1, 1)there is more oil flowing through the headunit to keep the temps down. 2) I never have to worry about changing the blower oil. I just add an extra qrt when doing a normal oil change
Old 07-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, that is true I like the part of not having to change the oil in the supercharger and temps. If you get the v-2 does it come with the oil lines fittings and everything?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It comes with cheap stuff from vortech. Trust me though it is worth the extra couple hundred bucks to get the braided lines and anodized fittings
Old 07-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

yea im def going to keep that in mind, I dunno, when I get home and the money situation I will see what I can go with. Its def going to get charged though, lol
Old 07-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like you have a good plan with your build, what color do you plan on painting her? And do you plan on any suspension mods , like going with a coil over set up or anything along those lines?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

It's about to be a long night boys and girls! Staring into the gears now and working through the nite and into tomorrow
Old 07-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan with your build, what color do you plan on painting her? And do you plan on any suspension mods , like going with a coil over set up or anything along those lines?
If you asking me then im just painting it the same color (black) but with more clear coats to make it look like a more wet black look. Suspension mods as of right now, better control arms, offset power steering bushings, x2 balls joints, bumpsteer kits, CC plates, and both strut tower braces. Its already been lowered and upgraded shocks, I cant think of the name off the top of my head but they are blue lol. Far as coil overs im not really going to go with those since I have already go the springs and shocks I want, plus I like having them sepearate for certain reasons.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
It's about to be a long night boys and girls! Staring into the gears now and working through the nite and into tomorrow
It shouldnt take you that long if you have everything ready and done it before and everything goes well. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

You think with 72000 miles, should I change out the diff bearings?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

You think with 72000 miles, should I change out the diff bearings?
Definitely do it. I did mine at 60k and they were pretty trashed.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
Definitely do it. I did mine at 60k and they were pretty trashed.
even the wheel bearings as well?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

even the wheel bearings as well?
No just the diff bearings thankfully. The rebuild kit came with them anyways so I wasn't worried but it was crazy to see with just 60k on it. The tech helping me said it was because of going over a lot of harsh bumps.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
No just the diff bearings thankfully. The rebuild kit came with them anyways so I wasn't worried but it was crazy to see with just 60k on it. The tech helping me said it was because of going over a lot of harsh bumps.
Oh, wow thats crazy I have changed my gears three times and still the same bearings other then the pinion bearing. No issues yet but my car was babied.

The cobra I might go ahead and change the bearings while im at it.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry the question was for Cody ! My bad! Southernstang00 it sounds like you have a pretty nice build going also!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT