Transmission ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kotty4643's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 35
Transmission ?

I have a 96 mustang gt 4.6 v8 I have to replace the clutch I was told it had a t5 put in it but I'm not 100% on that and I was also told that it comes stock with a t45 so I bought an OEM clutch to put in it what I need to know is if it has trues been changed from a t45 to a t5 will a OEM clutch go In with out a problem? ??
Kotty4643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 162
They are both 5 speeds and both go into a 4.6 so I wouldn't see why not and a 96 comes with a t45
96gt014.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
There shouldnt be an issue with them, the clutch should be the same.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kotty4643's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 35
Thanks I just wanted to make sure before I got under there
Kotty4643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
No problem. I have a buddy with a 95 GT who thought he had a T45 when In fact the previous owner had swapped in a T5 from a V6 mustang, and the clutch we installed worked fine.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kotty4643's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 35
Re: Transmission ?

ok so i finnaly got the cluthc in a week ago and drove it for a week now the car is stuck in reverse and will not go back in neutral it only goes in reverse and another high gear my friend tried to force it out of reverse when i went to the bathroom now when its in reverse it looks like it is in 5th what do i do
Kotty4643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotty4643
ok so i finnaly got the cluthc in a week ago and drove it for a week now the car is stuck in reverse and will not go back in neutral it only goes in reverse and another high gear my friend tried to force it out of reverse when i went to the bathroom now when its in reverse it looks like it is in 5th what do i do
Sounds like you need a new tranny
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotty4643
ok so i finnaly got the cluthc in a week ago and drove it for a week now the car is stuck in reverse and will not go back in neutral it only goes in reverse and another high gear my friend tried to force it out of reverse when i went to the bathroom now when its in reverse it looks like it is in 5th what do i do
Take out your shifter and see if you can see any problemo
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kotty4643's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 35
Re: Transmission ?

i already did all that and it looks fine im thinking its an internal problem but idk

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

do you think i could just get it rebuilt and if so what is the average price on having that done
Kotty4643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotty4643
i already did all that and it looks fine im thinking its an internal problem but idk

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

do you think i could just get it rebuilt and if so what is the average price on having that done
That too, I paid 1100 and change for mine,, t45
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotty4643
i already did all that and it looks fine im thinking its an internal problem but idk

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

do you think i could just get it rebuilt and if so what is the average price on having that done
It sounds like he bent your shift fork
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kotty4643's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 35
Re: Transmission ?

thats what i was thinking how hard are they to replace and could i do it my self or would i have to take it somewere and have it done

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
That too, I paid 1100 and change for mine,, t45
ok so if i can get it rebuilt for around 600 would that be a good deal?
Kotty4643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotty4643
thats what i was thinking how hard are they to replace and could i do it my self or would i have to take it somewere and have it done

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------



ok so if i can get it rebuilt for around 600 would that be a good deal?
Well anything can be done if you have thew tools. The tranny comes apart easy but if I remember correctly then you need a press to get the gears off. It would almost be a better idea to go to a junk yard and yank another tranny out of another mustang.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotty4643
thats what i was thinking how hard are they to replace and could i do it my self or would i have to take it somewere and have it done

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------



ok so if i can get it rebuilt for around 600 would that be a good deal?
Would have to take out the tranny, to change the fork And as for the 600 heck yeah that's a deal
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kotty4643's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 35
Re: Transmission ?

i dont know anything about the inner workings of a transmission could i chance the shift fork my self
Kotty4643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotty4643
i dont know anything about the inner workings of a transmission could i chance the shift fork my self
Yeah it's a simple pop on type of deal, but gotta take out the tranny, easy just time consuming, and a 2 person job to bring it down and to put it up. 100 lbs may not be much but it can get heavy pretty quick.
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kotty4643's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 35
Re: Transmission ?

i was figuring i was going to have to take the tranny out to do it so do i have to open the tranny up to do it or what and can i buy a shift for from a parts place like auto zone or orileys and do you or anyone know what t5 trans will go in my car like what can i take em out of like what year and stuff like that
Kotty4643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Not mine, found them online. That little ball type piece, that's where the fork pops into.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4593620033_large.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	61992



Click image for larger version

Name:	bell2.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	61993

It'll be a little harder,maybe, if you could pull the fork through the opening on your bell housing. But would be a ton better to see what your doing IMO
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotty4643
i was figuring i was going to have to take the tranny out to do it so do i have to open the tranny up to do it or what and can i buy a shift for from a parts place like auto zone or orileys and do you or anyone know what t5 trans will go in my car like what can i take em out of like what year and stuff like that
Oh no all the work is done in the housing, as for the fork itself try and get you a good good quality one. Check those places out and try napa too. Are you still running your stock clutch?
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kotty4643's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 35
Re: Transmission ?

if you mean by stock an oem than yea i just put a new oem one in last week .....so the shift fork is what the clutch cable hooks up to because i can push my clutch in and is will roll if the clutch is not pushed in its wont the clutch works i know that becase i can drive my car down the street lol that is if i dont mind backing up the entire time lol
Kotty4643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotty4643
if you mean by stock an oem than yea i just put a new oem one in last week .....so the shift fork is what the clutch cable hooks up to because i can push my clutch in and is will roll if the clutch is not pushed in its wont the clutch works i know that becase i can drive my car down the street lol that is if i dont mind backing up the entire time lol
Yeppers that how the fork works, Jajaja darn bro does kinda sound like internals ={ if it was your fork i dont think you could neutralize like you do„ check your oil level too. Could be dry?,,,,, ish,,,, but then again driving in reverse is the new fad, thanks to you ;>
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kotty4643's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 35
Re: Transmission ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Not mine, found them online. That little ball type piece, that's where the fork pops into.

Attachment 61992



Attachment 61993

It'll be a little harder,maybe, if you could pull the fork through the opening on your bell housing. But would be a ton better to see what your doing IMO
thats a clutch fork is that the same thing as a shift fork??

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------



its says that is a shift fork
Kotty4643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotty4643

thats a clutch fork is that the same thing as a shift fork??

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------



its says that is a shift fork
Ahhh hell my brain knowledge has failed me yet again, my bad bro totally thought you were talking about a clutch fork, :dumbass:. I've never messed with a shift fork, never even heard of it till now, think my tired self needs to go to bed. Again my bad bro, hope I didnt send you in the wrong direction.
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Wrong fork. The one you bent is inside the transmission. As I said earlier, it needs torn apart to get to it. This is a crappy photo but those two silver looking arms are shift forks.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kotty4643's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 35
Re: Transmission ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Yeppers that how the fork works, Jajaja darn bro does kinda sound like internals ={ if it was your fork i dont think you could neutralize like you do„ check your oil level too. Could be dry?,,,,, ish,,,, but then again driving in reverse is the new fad, thanks to you ;>
so you know what mustangs have a t5 trans that will fit in my 96 gt 4.6 because i dont know what i need to look for mainly because i know my car came stock with a t45 and has a t5 in it now and its not what came stock and i also found out that the fly wheel has been replaced with a light weight one im going to find out about that a little more tomorrow though
Kotty4643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotty4643

so you know what mustangs have a t5 trans that will fit in my 96 gt 4.6 because i dont know what i need to look for mainly because i know my car came stock with a t45 and has a t5 in it now and its not what came stock and i also found out that the fly wheel has been replaced with a light weight one im going to find out about that a little more tomorrow though
No knowledge on that one. As to look for id say just look for t5 parts and you shouldn't have a problem. Light weight fly wheel, that's awesome.
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kotty4643's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 35
Re: Transmission ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Ahhh hell my brain knowledge has failed me yet again, my bad bro totally thought you were talking about a clutch fork, :dumbass:. I've never messed with a shift fork, never even heard of it till now, think my tired self needs to go to bed. Again my bad bro, hope I didnt send you in the wrong direction.
its all good i figured it was internal issues and do you knwo what mustangs come with a 5 speed t5 that will go into my gt?? because i do not want to put a t45 back in it do know what the diffrence between a t45 and a t5 is but i figured there is a reason theny didnt put a t45 back in it when they took the trimic tko out of it
Kotty4643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotty4643

its all good i figured it was internal issues and do you knwo what mustangs come with a 5 speed t5 that will go into my gt?? because i do not want to put a t45 back in it do know what the diffrence between a t45 and a t5 is but i figured there is a reason theny didnt put a t45 back in it when they took the trimic tko out of it
Not a clue bro
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



10:55 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.