Questions about Swapping Motor... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
Questions about Swapping Motor...

Hey everyone, so today's a sad day for this mustang owner.

It all started with a little ticking noise about a week ago, which eventually turned into a slight knocking a few days ago, which then today turned into "WTF!". Turns out I threw a rod, and am now out a daily driver.

I found a used 2v (83k) motor from a 96 GT for very cheap and am more than likely going to grab it to throw in my car. My question is, being that I've never done a swap before, will the motor be okay in my car? It's coming from a manual trans car and I have an auto...I understand that 96-04 all used 4.6 2v so I shouldn't have any problems should I? Any tips or tricks on making the swap a little easier on myself?

Sorry if these are some noob questions I just want to get all of my info correct before I go jumping on a used motor...I'd appreciate any help!
PhillyMustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyMustangGT
Hey everyone, so today's a sad day for this mustang owner.

It all started with a little ticking noise about a week ago, which eventually turned into a slight knocking a few days ago, which then today turned into "WTF!". Turns out I threw a rod, and am now out a daily driver.

I found a used 2v (83k) motor from a 96 GT for very cheap and am more than likely going to grab it to throw in my car. My question is, being that I've never done a swap before, will the motor be okay in my car? It's coming from a manual trans car and I have an auto...I understand that 96-04 all used 4.6 2v so I shouldn't have any problems should I? Any tips or tricks on making the swap a little easier on myself?

Sorry if these are some noob questions I just want to get all of my info correct before I go jumping on a used motor...I'd appreciate any help!
Don't get a 96 engine. Its the weakest of the modular v8s. Look for one out of a 99+ They are a straight drop in. The 96 is a non pi engine that makes 215 hp compared to the new edge pi engine with 260. You also have different ignition systems and I believe changes to the fuel delivery system. Long story short, get a 99-04 engine or rebuild yours. (I say all this assuming from ur profile pic you have a 99-04 car.) Gl!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
^this!!!
You will be disappointed if you step down to a non-Pi engine
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: Questions about Swapping Motor...

Well, I'm doing a Coyote swap into my 2000 GT -- I bought the car new in 2000, the motor has a ton of miles on it -- I've always taken care of it though and it still doesn't use oil.

Has the upgraded intake (with the aluminum cross-over), Accel coil-overs, BBK 70mm TB with CAI -- may be really far from you though (it's going to be out of the car in the next couple of days).

Let me know if you're interested.
fericyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #5

Region: Pennsylvania
Wow -_- I can't believe I didn't even think that it would be a downgrade. I got the bad news and started searching like crazy for a 4.6 and didn't even consider that 99+ uses PI heads. So a 99+ motor it is then, this is gonna be fun lol.

Also fericyde, I see your in Ohio your just a little top far for me I really didn't wanna travel too much to find one I appreciate the offer though!
PhillyMustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: Questions about Swapping Motor...

hey, no problem -- I work in Minnesota though -- the motor is really there (so probably even further out of your driving distance) -- go for the PI swap for sure, it's the least painful route.

Also -- the long-block is available directly through Ford -- you can get the motor, sans intake, plugs and wiring (just the heads and rotating assembly) from them for somewhere around $3 grand (possibly less if you have a mechanic friend). And here's the kicker -- the ford re manufactured long-block I'm describing here (I was told had) a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty -- this is all what I'm told, but I'd investigate it. It's another option at least -- drop a bit more cash and shore up against another failure.

Good luck!
fericyde is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT