Head gasket thickness - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Head gasket thickness

So I'm in the process of doing my build for my new motor and I'm possibly going all out with the bore and stroke. Bore of 3.700 and stroke of 3.750, but it will be running a kenne bell 2.6 running 25psi on track runs only. 15 on the street, with 44cc stage 3 ported trick flow heads and the lowest compression I could figure up with that bore and stroke was about 9.2 and that's with .073 head gaskets and 22cc dish pistons. I'm not familiar with gasket strength and thought that a thicker gasket would ruin the compression capabilities by have blow out capabilities. Someone shed some light on the subject cause I'd love to know and learn.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I sure don't know but...that's gonna be one badass car when you are done
96gt014.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96gt014.6
I sure don't know but...that's gonna be one badass car when you are done
+1 can't wait to see the dyno sheet for that beast!

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

To answer your question I dont know if thickness can be likened to quality of product. I do know that fel pro makes good quality gaskets. My friends all swear by them and I can say that they have stood up well to the 23 psi one is running on his STI. I wouldn't risk trying to look for a thicker gasket but again just my 2 cents.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I did some research and they all say that I'm gonna have to run solid copper gaskets to withstand the pressure and possibly get o rings grooves put into the block and run that. I don't know if I'll be able to do all that to the block and run that high of boost. I'd have to run .093 gaskets to get to and below a 9:1 compression. Especially since it isn't going to be a race car it will be a toy pretty much.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
Yea I did some research and they all say that I'm gonna have to run solid copper gaskets to withstand the pressure and possibly get o rings grooves put into the block and run that. I don't know if I'll be able to do all that to the block and run that high of boost. I'd have to run .093 gaskets to get to and below a 9:1 compression. Especially since it isn't going to be a race car it will be a toy pretty much.
Well if the block can't handle it, maybe a compromise is in order, say trying to get down to about 20 psi instead. The car would still be a monster cuz those KB 2.6 are some mean blowers!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It's not that the block can't handle it, it's jut the gasket that would be the weak point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT