camshaft squeeling... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
camshaft squeeling...

I've been getting a noise from the engine the last day or two that sounds like a pissed off cat. It's a terrible squeeling, and is quite loud. it's directly linked to engine RPM.

Now, after that short little description... I have popped the hood, and it appears that this noise is coming from the passenger side cam case. I moved all around the engine bay trying to isolate it, and to the best I can tell, this is the location. I was wondering what it is most likely? I would get a video up if needed. Just let me know, and I'll run out right now and do it. I was wondering if it could be the camshaft synchronizer or if it is most likely something else? I would really love to have this not cost like $1000, and I would really not like to rebuild my engine (as this is my only car). Please help me fix this beast. haha.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: camshaft squeeling...

and y'all need to let someone know who the hell their talking to. I'm talking to mikey poo and all of a sudden another voice chimes in and talks for 20 mins and I'm like "Who the hell am I talking to" the whole time....

BUt yeah, from what I heard, it doesn't sound good...but I am by no means an mechanic. Get a video of it and post it up...

The best I can describe it is it sounds like he has a procharger or a vortech on his car...at least, that is the first thing I thought of when he reved it. lol
Old 02-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
and y'all need to let someone know who the hell their talking to. I'm talking to mikey poo and all of a sudden another voice chimes in and talks for 20 mins and I'm like "Who the hell am I talking to" the whole time....

BUt yeah, from what I heard, it doesn't sound good...but I am by no means an mechanic. Get a video of it and post it up...

The best I can describe it is it sounds like he has a procharger or a vortech on his car...at least, that is the first thing I thought of when he reved it. lol
get online.. can you or anyone view .MOV movies?

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

annnnnnnnnd VIDEO

Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i had a bad camshaft synchro in my car...........brought it in to a mechanic and that and the sensor cost 400
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

well, my gf's step dad loves cars and engines and stuff, so we'd probably give it a try. Haha... I'd just like to know what it is.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

That's a much clearer sound than what I heard over the phone....not sure what that could be off the top of my head....certainly doesn't sound good at all.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
That's a much clearer sound than what I heard over the phone....not sure what that could be off the top of my head....certainly doesn't sound good at all.
yeah, I have no fuggin' clue. It sounds PISSED OFF whatever it is, haha.

For future reference, the engine only hit like 1500-2000 RPM at the highest in that vid.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

I would LOVE for it to be the belt, but I'd be willing to drop several dollars on that not being the case.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

It's not a belt....it sounds like a knocking sound as well as the squeel....
Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah, I could have more than one problem... hahahaha. now I feel like crying. What sort of repair would also work? Perhaps a new set of cams and new synchros? If that would work, and would be about as much as getting the synchro done at a shop, I might as well do that, and then have the extra power.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Just rip it down to the shortblock and start over. Should fix most problems.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

sweet... in the 4 hours I have tonight, I'll get right on that

Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

its a v6 but i ripped my car down to block (only had heads left) in about 4 hours. putting it back together was a different story.

You know sometimes if something is broken and you drop it or not treat it well it will work again. try redlining it and dumping the clutch !!! it might go away.

i had a rat nest in my old truck before the stang and it squeeled a couple times then it caught fire....
Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

maybe its something easy to fix now but if you wait it might mess up something more expensive.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

If it hadn't been squealing I would have said lifters, but that heads going to have to come off, your engine have any sludge issues at all? they really shouldn't fail unless they don't get oil...

or best case scenario, a rocker arm may have come loose, and cocked sideways against the cam lobe (IE just far enough off the cam to not be on the lobe)
Old 02-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

ok, good news and bad news...

I bought a new belt tonight. While the belt was off, I spun the idler close to the cam, and it seemed to rotate "grainy". So I think this may be the culprit. Also, further good news, but via bad news... I started the car with the new belt on... and it was TOO BIG. It seemed to fit damn tight when I put it on, but after I started the car, it just sat there, no movement. However.... THE SQUEEL WAS GONE COMPLETELY. So, where do I go about buying an idler?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

ok.. so, decided to try the pulley idea. I took the belt off, and spun the idler pulley, and a video here is what it sounded like...

So, after hearing that, I went and bought a new pulley, too bad they didn't have a good one. But I did get the cheap one just to see what kind of change would occur.. and because I'm tired of hearing "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREWWOOOOAOOOOOOOWWWWWW"
OMG

so yeah, I also have a video of the car running with no belt... as well as the new cheap pulley. And you can hear how poorly it's balanced, but as long as it'll work until the new good pulley gets here... I'll be happy. In the meantime, does anyone know where I can get a nice OEM idler pulley?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

dammit, I based my ideas off of the whole fact you said you tried to isolate it.. in doing this any mechanically inclined person would have used either a stethoscope or some sort of prybar + ear on prybar to locate the noise... and would have started on the pulley bolts

:pnoid:
Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
dammit, I based my ideas off of the whole fact you said you tried to isolate it.. in doing this any mechanically inclined person would have used either a stethoscope or some sort of prybar + ear on prybar to locate the noise... and would have started on the pulley bolts

:pnoid:
I did try. If you saw the video, you could see it was dark, haha. And the noise was coming from "near" the cam case area. Also, it isn't solved yet. I still have to pick up the nicer pulley tomorrow and hopefully that will get all the sound gone. Plus, there are many other noises coming from my engine that I would like to get rid of. Also, looking at the videos... does it seem highly possible that this idler is the culprit?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:43 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

how's car sound running without a belt? unless you broke a timing chain tensioner you shouldn't have any knocks/rattling
I have seen tons of those break though
Old 02-28-2008, 07:41 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
how's car sound running without a belt? unless you broke a timing chain tensioner you shouldn't have any knocks/rattling
I have seen tons of those break though
the noise is 100% completely gone without the belt on. They only had this cheap plastic pulley last night, but they're ordering me the right one... and I'm replacing it today, with refund on the plastic POS. We'll see if that takes care of it. Otherwise, I'll have other fun stuff to do.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

alright, here's some new noises to identify...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT