Any tricks to driving 4.10 gears and stage 2 racing clutch? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Any tricks to driving 4.10 gears and stage 2 racing clutch?

Just got my gt and it has 4.10 and a s2 clutch. Although I have driven stick, it still jumps sometimes and sometimes I burn the clutch a little (may just be because it has been a lil since I drove stick). Any tricks for DD with these gears??
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I Don't drive a standard but I do on my bike. If it's anything like that then it's all dependent on your driving style. I say get out there often and learn to feel your car and how it behaves. Practice practice practice!
CrookedHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict
Just got my gt and it has 4.10 and a s2 clutch. Although I have driven stick, it still jumps sometimes and sometimes I burn the clutch a little (may just be because it has been a lil since I drove stick). Any tricks for DD with these gears??
I don't have 4.10 gears but I have heard they are hard to drive at first and make the car jumpy. I'm sure you will get used to it eventually.
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The torque multiplication gained with 4.10 gears takes some getting used to. For daily driving, you are not gonna need as much gas pedal to start off. The reason you are smelling the clutch is too much has gas pedal. In a lot of cases you can take off on a level surface with no gas pedal at all. Just at around with it and find the sweet spot.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
It took me some getting used to. I added about 30rwhp in mods the same day as 4.10s. I jerked Everytime I drove that car for the first few days.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr
It took me some getting used to. I added about 30rwhp in mods the same day as 4.10s. I jerked Everytime I drove that car for the first few days.
This makes me feel a lot better!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Any tricks to driving 4.10 gears and stage 2 racing clutch?

When I got my 4.10s installed I took it as learning my car all over again. I found the point of friction again and felt how it reacted. I then found that at the point of friction it could take off without gas at all. So I took it slow the first couple of days just learning the clutch points. Then after a week I started putting a bit of throttle into my takeoffs regularly. And after a couple weeks I started re-learning all my down-shift rev-match speeds and rpm points. It just takes a while to get use to. Having 4.10s installed is like driving a whole new car. You have to learn. Don't get discouraged.

But just to let you know I stopped making it jerk after about 15 mins of driving due to taking it slow. Then after about an hour I started dropping the clutch... Haha.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I know this is an old thread but its relevant to a question I have so I'm just going to post it here. I also have a 4.6L manual with 410s and today was my first day with it. I found it very jerky too! But the hard part for me was driving slow. It seems like in order to drive slow I need to me on the clutch way more than I'd like to be. If i drive aggressive it's no problem, I can let out the clutch and go but going slow it jerks like crazy unless I keep on the clutch.

Any tips to speed up my learning curve?
What rpm and speed do you 410 guys like to shift through all the gears? What rpm do you cruise at and at what speed? Things like this could help although I'm sure I just need to spend tomorrow with it and ill be ok. My biggest concern is staying off the clutch.. I like to let off completely right after I shift if possible.
Headleshorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well I now have a caddy cts with an ls2 with 500 rwhp and 485 rwtq with a s3 clutch. It really does feel like you are grinding the clutch but find the drop off point of the pedal and practice from there. I usually shift at 3k rpms
Old 08-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Woah! That's a lot of HP ! I don't think I'm grinding the clutch... The car is jumpy when I'm off the clutch. It wants to go go go and in order for me to drive without looking like a maniac I have to be on the clutch quite a bit in first until I can rev up and get into second. And like I mentioned I'm used to putting around in a jeep TJ 5 speed lol. I'm sure ill get used to it. Just curious as to when most people shift with 410 since that's new to me.
Headleshorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Start off in 2nd and shift to 4th then 5th. 6th if you have a 6 speed. My caddy is a 6 speed and I usually go 1st to 4th to 5th or 6th depending on how fast im going. I do rolling burn outs in 3rd and can chirp into 5th lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT