I want a new engine in my mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vmcgrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eprise
Region: Alabama
Posts: 354
I want a new engine in my mustang

I have 98 mustang gt I bought from a local for 1000 bucks it had a few body problems and engine problems and I was wanting to know if I could put a cobra engine in my gt and if so what would have to be done for it to be running right
Vmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
95v686gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 813
You can do that or do a mark viii swap. If you do the mark viii make sure you get the oil pan engine mounts and the wiring harness off your old 2v. Look up 32vnomad on here. He has done the swap in his new edge. Also when you search for the engine make sure you get a 97 to 98 mark viii engine or any 96-98 cobra. The older marks had a throttle body mounted at the back of the intake and it won't clear the firewall on our cars. I'm in the swap now and hunting a intake due to this oversight.
__________________
1995 V6 Mustang= Divorced Duals, Flowmaster 2 chambers, NO CATS, Raxiom Halo Projector headlights, Smoked Tails, 17 inch Bullitt Wheels
1997 Mustang GT: 4.6L DOHC http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t305270/
1986 Mustang GT= Built 302 SOLD
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vmcgrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eprise
Region: Alabama
Posts: 354
I want to put in a new engine myself but I'm sure I will need some help from my buddy because I know very little about taking out an engine but I love to do it myself, I was wounding why a mark viii is that a better engine the a regular mustang gt 4.6 or a cobra engine? I look on line I see it is cheaper then the others but I didn't know if the mark viii was a better engine and if I did get a mark viii, i do I need to get the tranny as well? When I get a new engine like the mark viii would I need to change anything to make it run right? I though someone told me I had to change the computer chip in the car or something I'm not to sure what it was I'm just trying to get all the info for when I do put in a new engine

Thanks for the help
Vmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
If you do a 4 valve swap weather it a mark viii block or a cobra block you will need the wiring harness and computer from the car plus a bunch of money!!

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360
If you do a 4 valve swap weather it a mark viii block or a cobra block you will need the wiring harness and computer from the car plus a bunch of money!!
You will also have to upgrade your fuel system
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vmcgrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eprise
Region: Alabama
Posts: 354
So I might as well buy a whole damn car? So it more simple if I got the same engine for my mustang to keep from having to go threw all the headache right?
Vmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmcgrath
So I might as well buy a whole damn car? So it more simple if I got the same engine for my mustang to keep from having to go threw all the headache right?
Yes it is more easy to just swap a 2v back in but I would get a 2v from a 99-04 as they have the PI swap ( better heads and intake) you can use your ECM and fuel system
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
95v686gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 813
Um no you don't have to upgrade the harness and fuel system. You can use your 2v harness and fuel system. You don't have to change transmission either if it's a auto. If it's a stick you need a flywheel for the mark.
__________________
1995 V6 Mustang= Divorced Duals, Flowmaster 2 chambers, NO CATS, Raxiom Halo Projector headlights, Smoked Tails, 17 inch Bullitt Wheels
1997 Mustang GT: 4.6L DOHC http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t305270/
1986 Mustang GT= Built 302 SOLD
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt
Um no you don't have to upgrade the harness and fuel system. You can use your 2v harness and fuel system. You don't have to change transmission either if it's a auto. If it's a stick you need a flywheel for the mark.
Going to a 4v you have to modify the 2v harness to get it to work I don't know what all needs to be done but 32 v nomad does he is working on a PDF file that shows you but he said its not done yet that's why I suggested to get the 4 v harness less hassle , you don't have to change the whole fuel system just the pump or get a boost a pump set up , but if I had it all apart I would upgrade the rest of it while I'm there

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360

Going to a 4v you have to modify the 2v harness to get it to work I don't know what all needs to be done but 32 v nomad does he is working on a PDF file that shows you but he said its not done yet that's why I suggested to get the 4 v harness less hassle , you don't have to change the whole fuel system just the pump or get a boost a pump set up , but if I had it all apart I would upgrade the rest of it while I'm there
Op check out cole Johnson 's thread called Auora' heart died there is a ton of info in there about the 2v-4v swap tons of useful info you should read that then make your desision on what you want to do from there
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
95v686gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 813
There's cole's thread then 97 GT 32v swap and a few others. Me and nomad have talked alot about this swap cause I'm doing it.
__________________
1995 V6 Mustang= Divorced Duals, Flowmaster 2 chambers, NO CATS, Raxiom Halo Projector headlights, Smoked Tails, 17 inch Bullitt Wheels
1997 Mustang GT: 4.6L DOHC http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t305270/
1986 Mustang GT= Built 302 SOLD
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
32vNomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 655
Re: I want a new engine in my mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
Going to a 4v you have to modify the 2v harness to get it to work I don't know what all needs to be done but 32 v nomad does he is working on a PDF file that shows you but he said its not done yet that's why I suggested to get the 4 v harness less hassle , you don't have to change the whole fuel system just the pump or get a boost a pump set up , but if I had it all apart I would upgrade the rest of it while I'm there

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------



Op check out cole Johnson 's thread called Auora' heart died there is a ton of info in there about the 2v-4v swap tons of useful info you should read that then make your desision on what you want to do from there
Just had to chime in.... and may I say damn there are ALOT of these threads.
I have to say though that you do not have to upgrade any of the fuel system to run a 4v on the GT with the exception of the fuel injectors. If you can run 400 with a procharger on GT with nothing more than their injector upgrade and tune, then you can run 300 NA with no pump upgrade. Fuel injectors are what hinder hp production on a NA vehicle. You will need 24lbs injectors for the 4v for its performance. If you want to go force inducted then you would need to upgrade the pump(svt focus) as you would on any 2v car looking for that 500+ hp mark. Im on the Auora thread as well, since Im helping Cole with his swap.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
The swap doesn't seem as scary as everyone makes it out to be. Especially with a great resource such as Nomad around willing to answer questions and help out.

There is a link to my thread in my signature.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
32vNomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 655
Re: I want a new engine in my mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
The swap doesn't seem as scary as everyone makes it out to be. Especially with a great resource such as Nomad around willing to answer questions and help out.

There is a link to my thread in my signature.
Thanks Cole. Now if we can clean up the bad info that gets spread around forums things would get real interesting lol.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

Thanks Cole. Now if we can clean up the bad info that gets spread around forums things would get real interesting lol.
If this is intended at me I was giving my opinion and personal experience with the stock gt fuel pump I have FI also so my bad !!!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vmcgrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eprise
Region: Alabama
Posts: 354
Rm360 thanks for a your advice and everybody else advice with helping me on this subject

Rm360 I do like what you said about putting in a 99-04 is there anymore info you can give me about doing that? I would like to hear more about it
Vmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
32vNomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 655
Re: I want a new engine in my mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
If this is intended at me I was giving my opinion and personal experience with the stock gt fuel pump I have FI also so my bad !!!
NO NO you misread, Im talking overall in general, I've looked over vast amount of information passed through many forum sites. And I find alot of passing of bad info, alot of times I see (what I like to call) "Brand Fans". Meaning that nothing is worth putting on your car if its not something that has a name like BBK or Accufab, etc. Did you know I made a cone filter for my buick using typical PVC toilet ring for the adapter? (this was 1996) But I did it and it worked for the purpose that it was created. Function over form. I'm sorry that you feel that it was a comment against you, which it wasn't....... well maybe alittle , just kidding. But seriously there is alot of bad info just as there are people still think that they need 10w30 in their cars regard-less that it says 5w20 on the cap. Even fuel systems are an issue. New Edge mustangs come with return-less systems, yet I see ALOT of people spreading that you need a return line to tune for 450+hp. Thats insane for the simple fact that the GT500 at 500hp has the same system setup as we do, with dual hi flow pumps. Same goes with the FordGT, seen that at 1000hp with stock fuel system. What alot of times is bad info is passed and or started by someone that lacks the knowledge and or know how. Read alot of the swap threads and you'll see my point.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
The swap doesn't seem as scary as everyone makes it out to be. Especially with a great resource such as Nomad around willing to answer questions and help out.

There is a link to my thread in my signature.
Its alot easier if you are able to get a complete Mach or Cobra engine and harness/ecm, and with that you would flash the ecm to disable pats. But all in all the swap is straight forward, I think people are afraid of the wiring and such to make it work. Being on a low budget does suck. It took me 5 years to complete my engine build. Getting parts, having it machined, all that takes money. But so does having a house, wife, job and just well life sometimes that makes it harder. Doing the swap was a personal choice, its something in a mustang that you dont see everyday, well on a GT anyway. Im trying to just steer people in a good direction if they choose and show them a cheaper route that they can take. Just looking to help those out.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

NO NO you misread, Im talking overall in general, I've looked over vast amount of information passed through many forum sites. And I find alot of passing of bad info, alot of times I see (what I like to call) "Brand Fans". Meaning that nothing is worth putting on your car if its not something that has a name like BBK or Accufab, etc. Did you know I made a cone filter for my buick using typical PVC toilet ring for the adapter? (this was 1996) But I did it and it worked for the purpose that it was created. Function over form. I'm sorry that you feel that it was a comment against you, which it wasn't....... well maybe alittle , just kidding. But seriously there is alot of bad info just as there are people still think that they need 10w30 in their cars regard-less that it says 5w20 on the cap. Even fuel systems are an issue. New Edge mustangs come with return-less systems, yet I see ALOT of people spreading that you need a return line to tune for 450+hp. Thats insane for the simple fact that the GT500 at 500hp has the same system setup as we do, with dual hi flow pumps. Same goes with the FordGT, seen that at 1000hp with stock fuel system. What alot of times is bad info is passed and or started by someone that lacks the knowledge and or know how. Read alot of the swap threads and you'll see my point.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------



Its alot easier if you are able to get a complete Mach or Cobra engine and harness/ecm, and with that you would flash the ecm to disable pats. But all in all the swap is straight forward, I think people are afraid of the wiring and such to make it work. Being on a low budget does suck. It took me 5 years to complete my engine build. Getting parts, having it machined, all that takes money. But so does having a house, wife, job and just well life sometimes that makes it harder. Doing the swap was a personal choice, its something in a mustang that you dont see everyday, well on a GT anyway. Im trying to just steer people in a good direction if they choose and show them a cheaper route that they can take. Just looking to help those out.
What I meant by upgrade was the pump and the injectors I guess when I said " upgrade" it got mistaken also

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360

What I meant by upgrade was the pump and the injectors I guess when I said " upgrade" it got mistaken also
I didn't mention that in the earlier post so I probably would of misread it also

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmcgrath
Rm360 thanks for a your advice and everybody else advice with helping me on this subject

Rm360 I do like what you said about putting in a 99-04 is there anymore info you can give me about doing that? I would like to hear more about it
In 99' ford changed the head and intake design to flow more air and changed the cams that's where PI came from it stands for performance improvement from 96-98 the 4.6 was rated at 220 hp in 99 with the redesign the 4.6 was rated at 260
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vmcgrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eprise
Region: Alabama
Posts: 354
So if do get a 99-04 the hook up will all be the same? And if I buy an engine will I need just the engine? And if I put it in and get it all hook up is it as easy as driving it or do I have to do anything before I can start driving it?
Vmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
32vNomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 655
Re: I want a new engine in my mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmcgrath View Post
So if do get a 99-04 the hook up will all be the same? And if I buy an engine will I need just the engine? And if I put it in and get it all hook up is it as easy as driving it or do I have to do anything before I can start driving it?
You can do a PI upgrade, this consists of 99-04 heads and intake manifold. This will raise your CR to 10.52:1. The only thing you would need to do is get it a 93oct tune and run it. Now thats a low budget using what you have. Now you could do a 4v swap, but your spending money. The engine it self is plug and play, if you use the wiring from the GT you have to mod it. Since you have coils and wires you could get a 97-98 Mark and just put on same year cobra valve covers and use all your brackets for the coils. Or you could drop in a 97-98 Cobra with its harness. If you use the Cobra ECM you still need a tune to disable PATS. If you use your ECM it will need a custom tune. Also with the 4v swap the GT h pipe will no longer work. So money you will spend. Its a good swap and you have fun doing it. I know I have. But there are options for any budget and we are here to help.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:54 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.