Underdrive Pulleys - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Underdrive Pulleys

Hey so over time Ive heard U/D Pulleys are a waste.. and they cause alternator problems , and other problems.. Is this true?

Has anyone noticed any gains ?
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I put the steeds u/d pulleys on and couldn't be happier. I'm going on year two with zero problems. As for performance.... Quicker pick up through the power bands
crozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crozz
I put the steeds u/d pulleys on and couldn't be happier. I'm going on year two with zero problems. As for performance.... Quicker pick up through the power bands
+1
tommy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have bbk pullies. They crank faster. If your worried about your alternator, you could get an oversized pulley but then your kind of reversing the whole under drive..
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: Underdrive Pulleys

I've heard that the steeda ud are the way to go, havent heard any bad about the bbk though never heard of problems.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

IMO they are all the same in the end as long as sizes are the same. The only problem would be if you had a monster stereo system.
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I always wondered if you had more powerful COP's, would they have enough voltage to work correctly at WOT?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I had BBK's and I did everything in the directions it told me too and even my stock crank pulley wasnt messed up. I even took them apart three different times and moved the stock pulley around in clockwise direction heading back where I org bolt the pair up. The stock pulley kept wobbling and I was afraid it was going to throw something out of balance so I took them off. Never had issues with the voltage though.

Steeda is the way to go if you want to pay UDP's, I have them on there for three years and no issues and I noticed some what of a difference in rpms and how the car acts. Is it worth it? Yes, IMO they are because it frees up some H/P when adds up over time but thats my opinion. Go with steeda but remember when you install them place a bead of RTV in the key way of the crank pulley because if not you run the rise of a oil leak.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98RedGT
I've heard that the steeda ud are the way to go, havent heard any bad about the bbk though never heard of problems.
They worked with ford in the development of these pulleys.

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00
I had BBK's and I did everything in the directions it told me too and even my stock crank pulley wasnt messed up. I even took them apart three different times and moved the stock pulley around in clockwise direction heading back where I org bolt the pair up. The stock pulley kept wobbling and I was afraid it was going to throw something out of balance so I took them off. Never had issues with the voltage though.

Steeda is the way to go if you want to pay UDP's, I have them on there for three years and no issues and I noticed some what of a difference in rpms and how the car acts. Is it worth it? Yes, IMO they are because it frees up some H/P when adds up over time but thats my opinion. Go with steeda but remember when you install them place a bead of RTV in the key way of the crank pulley because if not you run the rise of a oil leak.
+1
crozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
I always wondered if you had more powerful COP's, would they have enough voltage to work correctly at WOT?
COP's?
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

COP's?
Coil On Plugs- COPs

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

Coil On Plugs- COPs
And those are? And do? And go where? I feel kinda dumb asking but who cares how else am I going to learn
{Never Enough HP}
Old 07-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

COP's - Coil on Plugs are individual coils that attach to each spark plug. They have the boot, coil, the whole shebang right there for each spark plug. This is why you don't see spark plugs on 1999 (I think) and newer Mustangs. There is a wire harness that connects to each COP - that connects back to the PCM (computer). The COPs cost ~40$ to 60$ each. The stock Motorcraft COPs work fine, but they do offer fancy ones from Accel and MSD, etc but those can cost more than the stockers.

Things you must do when changing plugs on a 4.6L
- Don't change the plugs when the engine is hot
- Use anti-seize on the threads of the new spark plugs
- Use dielectric grease on the boot to spark plug connection
- Make sure that the spark plug cover plate on your valve cover seals up good so water does not get in with the spark plugs
Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
COP's - Coil on Plugs are individual coils that attach to each spark plug. They have the boot, coil, the whole shebang right there for each spark plug. This is why you don't see spark plugs on 1999 (I think) and newer Mustangs. There is a wire harness that connects to each COP - that connects back to the PCM (computer). The COPs cost ~40$ to 60$ each. The stock Motorcraft COPs work fine, but they do offer fancy ones from Accel and MSD, etc but those can cost more than the stockers.

Things you must do when changing plugs on a 4.6L
- Don't change the plugs when the engine is hot
- Use anti-seize on the threads of the new spark plugs
- Use dielectric grease on the boot to spark plug connection
- Make sure that the spark plug cover plate on your valve cover seals up good so water does not get in with the spark plugs
Ooooohhhhh I know what those are now, just never knew the name. I called em wires. Plus around now to a few months I should change out the whole shabang, put my mind at ease. Those msds are crazy expensive but im sure you get what you pay for. Thanks for the info on the install, I just figured plug an play with no grease and what not.
And it was dielectric grease right? Its not an auto correct word?
{Never Enough HP}
Old 07-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

Ooooohhhhh I know what those are now, just never knew the name. I called em wires. Plus around now to a few months I should change out the whole shabang, put my mind at ease. Those msds are crazy expensive but im sure you get what you pay for. Thanks for the info on the install, I just figured plug an play with no grease and what not.
And it was dielectric grease right? Its not an auto correct word?
Yup, dielectric grease for the boot to plug and anti-seize for the threads on the sparky's.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

UD pulleys on the older Fox Body cars are not worth the expense or effort to install them IMO, and they do cause all kinds of charging and in some cases cooling problems.

BUT, the newer model Mustangs have better alternators and charging systems and seem to get along with them just fine.

That being said, I still wouldn't use them myself as the components they affect are designed from the factory to operate at certain speeds and changing that is just not a good idea IMO.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yup, dielectric grease for the boot to plug and anti-seize for the threads on the sparky's.
:headband:
{Never Enough HP}

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT