Cams - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Cams

When you get cams what all do you have to have done to get cams its a dumb question I'm just not sure?
RUNNWLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNWLD
When you get cams what all do you have to have done to get cams its a dumb question I'm just not sure?
Just cams, if you have a auto and want stage 2 I've heard you have to have a stall converter. Not sure tho, but I'd get behive springs and valve retainers.
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If you get just cams say stage 2 how much would the install would you say costs? And it wouldn't hurt anything if you just got the cams right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNWLD
If you get just cams say stage 2 how much would the install would you say costs? And it wouldn't hurt anything if you just got the cams right?
I'm not.really sure, I've been looking.into it.and I'm thinking about doing.mine myself. But idk lol
Old 07-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you go stage 2 cams there's a good chance you'll need valve springs too. And with stage 2 about half the time you'll need to fly cut the pistons for valve clearance. You'll also need a cam degree kit from trick flow or wherever you find it and instructions to do it. If you go stage 2 you won't absolutely have to have it tuned but you'll lose alot of drivability because the car runs so rich it chokes itself a bit but I would highly suggest getting a tune. If you are able to tune the idle to around 1000 or so you shouldnt stall out at stops. I did it all by myself and the hardest thing I had done before that was changing the shocks and springs so it's not to difficult. Just make sure you remember how it goes back together lol

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

If you pay someone to do it its going to be atleast a grand but saves you a hassle. I you do it yourself let me stress the point of blocking off your oil returns so your valve locks don't drop down into your oil pan. I did that and was lucky enough to fish them out with a magnet.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

What cams would be a good sounded cam because I'm looking for just the sound not so much performance in it and I don't got so much money?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNWLD View Post
What cams would be a good sounded cam because I'm looking for just the sound not so much performance in it and I don't got so much money?
i personally like comp stage 2 cams myself, but just get on youtube and search 2 valve gts, with cams and find one you like,
Old 07-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Stage 2. You can get a pretty good loping idle from stage 2 cams. But to be honest if your not thinking performance purposes I wouldn't do cams just for the sound. It's alot of money and work just to change the sound of your idle. If you don't have full exhaust I'd do that first.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

What would be your estimate of the cost for cams and everything and install to have done and ready to go? I have a stock gt with exhaust and pullies thats all?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

get some long tubes and o/r x or h pipe and a cat back thatll be about the same price as the cams, and itll sound really good
but like total black out said, its not worth it just for sound, cause youll need a tune too or it wont idle for ****.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

If I have the slp 1 catback and the get a catted slp x pipe then slp long tubes would that be a good sound?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNWLD View Post
If I have the slp 1 catback and the get a catted slp x pipe then slp long tubes would that be a good sound?

all depends on what you like, i personally like my magnaflow magna packs, and putting a o/r x pipe would be alot louder because of the cat delete, but ive heard a mustang here in town with the slp and it sounds really good.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It will be 800 or so for just to buy the cams and springs. Then you gotta get them installed and I'm guessing that would be $1000+ and tuned would be 400-600 depending on their rates and experience. If you have slp loudmouths I'd suggest some BBK long tubes just for the price and a catted xpipe. Lol without the cats it will be REALLY loud with those loudmouths. So all in all I think you could get the exhaust for about 600. The only difficult part about long tubes is clearance with the k member. It's difficult to put them on but not as hard as cams. It will sound like a whole new animal with the full exhaust an you'll tell a noticeable gain in power as well. I had my mufflers removed for a while and I could tell a huge difference in just that.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2000 Gt and I went stage 2 comp cams on stock springs and had no issues what so ever. I bought the cams, installed them, threw the tuner on it and drove it to shop to get dyno tuned. If you want new springs, get the bee hives and retainers from comp then you wont have to do what TO is referring too. I didnt degree anything comp told me it wasnt needed so I just installed them, and had it tuned. The car ran 4 years like that until I took the motor out for forged internals, stage 3 cams, trick flow heads.

I do have to say if you go stage 2 cams and you are a auto you wont need a stall, but having one does help though. Anything bigger the stage 2 you will need a 2000+ stall. They do have a noticeable idle and a good power band between 1900-5500 or thats what I saw anyways.

Far as money for everything and labor and tune I think a friend paid like 2200+/- 100 somewhere in there I dont know the exact amount.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

We're yours custom grinds? Or we're they off the shelf cams? Cause have custom grinds and never had a problem either and I didn't degree them either and the motor runs perfect. I would assume that if they were off the motor would run terrible. I've been told that the off the shelf cams are the ones that need degreed almost everytime. That or we can have factory freaks lol

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Also what did you have on your car at the time of those cams and what did it put down. I went to get mine tuned and had a issue with a o2 sensor and my iat sensor so I never ran on the dyno or received a tune.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut View Post
We're yours custom grinds? Or we're they off the shelf cams? Cause have custom grinds and never had a problem either and I didn't degree them either and the motor runs perfect. I would assume that if they were off the motor would run terrible. I've been told that the off the shelf cams are the ones that need degreed almost everytime. That or we can have factory freaks lol

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Also what did you have on your car at the time of those cams and what did it put down. I went to get mine tuned and had a issue with a o2 sensor and my iat sensor so I never ran on the dyno or received a tune.
They were off the shelf kind but I knew the person that does the grinding at the time and he was good at it so i didnt have any doubts on it being off so I didnt degree them, but you are right they can have factory freaks. Far as mods I want to say I had a 75mm TB/plenium, LT's, CAI, UDP, and tuner. With the stage two cams it wasnt a dyno tune, all I did was I listed my mods and what cams the were (giving them the specs of the cam) and they just did a tune like BAMA because the dyno was booked up for two months and I didnt want to wait that long. So they threw the tune on the tuner and I flashed the computer myself with the tuner and ran it like that, which was awesome by the way. Far as problems I didnt have any with the stage 2 cams, when I went with the stage 3 cams they did a dyno tune on it and i did have a problem with the 02 on the driver side but it was due to it being bad. Once I replaced it the the IAC started to act funny so I brought them the tuner and the changed something with the IAC.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I wish I could do that with Bama. That must have been before they started saying no can tuning on the 99-04. When I bought my tuner they would do it but ten like a week after they changed their policy
Old 07-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut View Post
I wish I could do that with Bama. That must have been before they started saying no can tuning on the 99-04. When I bought my tuner they would do it but ten like a week after they changed their policy
When I bought the tuner I think it was another company or different name cuz I bought the tuner from AM and they put tunes on there but I only told them for the bolt on stuff. I got the tuner from a local SCT dealer/tuner place near me, plus the guy that does the tunes is a freaking master at it and he is good so he just built me one like bama does.

The stage three cams I had to get tuned because of all of the other stuff i had done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT