New sound system - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #1

Region: California
New sound system

Have a 99 gt with the standard sound system, not the Mach 460. I want to put in new speakers all around and get a small sub maybe a 10". How expensive/difficult would this be? I will be putting it in myself. Also any recommendations for brands, how to install everything, etc?
Daind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

What kinda sound are you wanting? What kind of music do you listen to? Do you have a nice deck already?

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Budget? Installation is simple I've done plenty of installs an it's easy

Hav·oc/ˈhavək/
Noun: Widespread destruction.
Verb: Lay waste to; devastate.

2000- V6 First Stang
Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc
What kinda sound are you wanting? What kind of music do you listen to? Do you have a nice deck already?

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Budget? Installation is simple I've done plenty of installs an it's easy
I listen to rap and I just have the stock deck. I want a good amount of base but nothing obnoxious. I'm only a teenager so my budget isn't that high. Maybe 400 max.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daind

I listen to rap and I just have the stock deck. I want a good amount of base but nothing obnoxious. I'm only a teenager so my budget isn't that high. Maybe 400 max.
I would say start with the deck and work you way to the back in subs. There are some good decks out there check out some pioneer, Sony, clarion, and JVC and see what fits your taste you can grab a nice deck for around $100 and the door speakers are 6x8 as well as the back get matching speakers. Oh and for the front door speakers your going to want to attach tweeters to the top of the door (it's what I did to add better highs) my set up I have a kenwood excelon deck and all speakers my amp is a kicker amp an I had 12" kicker speaker but they never fit in my trunk only my back seat lol I had to sell them looking for 10's now

Hav·oc/ˈhavək/

2000- V6 First Stang
Old 07-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #5

Would a deck help the sound at all? Because that's all I really care about
Old 07-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Check sonicelectronix.com I installed touch screen deck replaced all speakers and a 10" sub for 600ish

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

And yes the sound quality from a good deck will make a difference just watch for the decks watt rms
jb61101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb61101
Check sonicelectronix.com I installed touch screen deck replaced all speakers and a 10" sub for 600ish

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

And yes the sound quality from a good deck will make a difference just watch for the decks watt rms
Did you install everything yourself?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: New sound system

The sound difference between a cheap/stock deck and a higher-end aftermarket deck is like the difference in a stock NA engine and then adding a SC to it. it's a pretty night and day difference. I use a Pioneer AVH3300BT. I took me about 6 months to get a sound system I can be proud of and I'm so glad I took my time and got high quality pieces. SO worth taking time on.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yea install took about 8 hours taking the seats out and drilling holes for tweeters and what not sonic gives the dash kit free with head unit purchase
Old 07-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I'd suggest NOT to cheap out on the head unit or the amps. They are the absolute biggest factor in a good system. A good amp will always make a decent sub great and a great sub perfect. Same with the head units. If you listen to rap make sure you get good deck with good filters that way you don't blow out your speakers. I understand that your a teenager and money is a big deal but I'd still suggest spending your entire budget on 1 part of the system. Start with a deck then speakers then sub then amp and do the sub and amp in that order because then you know what amp you need for your sub not the other way around. I used to work at a audiophile car audio shop so if you have questions you can ask me anything.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I got a nice Alpine deck from my friend. I got the 460 Mach audio. From just that's deck alone with stock everything else was night and day. I couldn't believe how much the deck had to do with sound quality. Definitely research a good deck.
CrookedHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

BTW i didnt go cheap I went pioneer head unit fosgate componets front and back pioneer amp and JL sub wired with monster cables. Sonic sells last years models thats why its so cheap
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: New sound system

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut View Post
Yea I'd suggest NOT to cheap out on the head unit or the amps. They are the absolute biggest factor in a good system. A good amp will always make a decent sub great and a great sub perfect. Same with the head units. If you listen to rap make sure you get good deck with good filters that way you don't blow out your speakers. I understand that your a teenager and money is a big deal but I'd still suggest spending your entire budget on 1 part of the system. Start with a deck then speakers then sub then amp and do the sub and amp in that order because then you know what amp you need for your sub not the other way around. I used to work at a audiophile car audio shop so if you have questions you can ask me anything.
+111111 dont cheap out on a system at all in your car, youll regret it i promise, everytime i am spending money on my car not matter what i dont cheap out because i look back on it later and regret it.
but for a head unit i would go with alpine, kenwood, pioneer makes good as well and for pretty cheap, amp i would get kicker kenwood alpine or rockford fosgate, and same with the subs.
as for install its easy as hell, i put a system in a guy at works car, including the radio, wiring the amp, and subs, took me a hour and a half in mcdonalds parking lot with 2 screwdrivers and a pair of pliers. so needless to say its really easy, just take your time. hope this helps
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Biggest and best investment you should look into is HUSHMAT or some form of sound deadening. It can be pricey but well worth it. Really helps keep your trunk and everything in place and no rattles lol
Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
Biggest and best investment you should look into is HUSHMAT or some form of sound deadening. It can be pricey but well worth it. Really helps keep your trunk and everything in place and no rattles lol
Dynamat is good to and cheap on eBay

Hav·oc/ˈhavək/

2000- V6 First Stang
Old 07-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It's not bad. In my experience it's not as good as hushmat but still alot better then nothing

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT