Idle Misfire - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Idle Misfire

Ive got a 03' Mach 1 that has misfire when idling. At first, the mach had a misfire when idling and when under power. the computer was throwing a cylinder 8 misfire code, but after replacing the fuel injector for that cylinder, the code went away. The car runs fine under power now, but when idling it still misfires slightly. Replaced all sparks and got a new set of coil packs, but still misfires... I've ran out of simple ideas, what do you guys recommend??
MajorPain999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Could the harness has a wire that is bad going to that COP. Or maybe the pins in the plug are not making a good connection. Have you changed the plugs recently?

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Could the harness has a wire that is bad going to that COP. Or maybe the pins in the plug are not making a good connection. Have you changed the plugs recently?
Also, you could try swapping the COP on the cylinder that is misfiring with another, to see if the prob follows the COP.

---------- Post added at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

Sorry, I see where you replaced the sparky's.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #3

Re: Idle Misfire

i changed the plugs and the COP's all together, you could have something with the harness, i didnt think about that. But i couldnt figure out why changing the injector made the engine run great under power but didnt fix the idle at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorPain999
i changed the plugs and the COP's all together, you could have something with the harness, i didnt think about that. But i couldnt figure out why changing the injector made the engine run great under power but didnt fix the idle at all.
After the injector change, will it still throw a code for misfire?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #5

Before when i had the stock COP's and sparks on it, i tried changing the COP on the misfiring cylinder with the cylinder beside it, but didnt hear any noticable improvement. The cylinder was still misfiring and the computer stilll threw a cylinder 8 misfire code. I figured then it was the injector, so i unplugged the injector, and the with the engine running on seven cylinders, it idled and accelerated smooth.( not nearly as powerful haha and has to be terrible for the crank.) i replaced that injector, and then it accelerated smooth but still idled like crap. so that was when the COP and the sparks got replaced. But still a misfire..
Old 08-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Hopefully just a harness issue you can fix, like plug not making a good connection or damaged wire.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #7

Ill look into the harness and see if thats it. Sure would be nice to figure it out.. haha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT