4.6 running hot - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

I can see that in the winter but not in the summer where the temps are above 80 for say. During the summer time after I took it out I really did notice a difference in the length of time it took to get to op temp. I want to say I put it back during the winter time because I got tired of having to drive half way to work on cold air. Normal I would go 160 degree thermostat during the summer time and then in the winter I would go back to the stock temp. But either way good on explaining everything though

Far as the Royal Purple additive I added whatever it was recommended on the bottle and ran it for a good bit. I some maybe a 5-6 temp difference by using a temp gun pointed at the coolant before and after I added it. I was adding some more one day and I dropped the bottle of Royal Purple additive and the bottle started to leak so I just ended up adding the whole bottle, I think I saw like another 2-4 temp drop? So it works a little bit for the money you will pay for it but not one time did I notice it on the gauge but instead on the heat temp gun.
Nice. I got a temp gauge in the car, there I should know by how much it drops me
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #37
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Re: 4.6 running hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post
I can see that in the winter but not in the summer where the temps are above 80 for say. During the summer time after I took it out I really did notice a difference in the length of time it took to get to op temp. I want to say I put it back during the winter time because I got tired of having to drive half way to work on cold air. Normal I would go 160 degree thermostat during the summer time and then in the winter I would go back to the stock temp. But either way good on explaining everything though

Far as the Royal Purple additive I added whatever it was recommended on the bottle and ran it for a good bit. I some maybe a 5-6 temp difference by using a temp gun pointed at the coolant before and after I added it. I was adding some more one day and I dropped the bottle of Royal Purple additive and the bottle started to leak so I just ended up adding the whole bottle, I think I saw like another 2-4 temp drop? So it works a little bit for the money you will pay for it but not one time did I notice it on the gauge but instead on the heat temp gun.
Yeah, I could see if you live in warm climate areas or in the middle of the summer not having a prob with removing your tstat. As long as it seems like your radiator fluid is still circulating through the system good.

That's cool you were able to see a difference with Purple Ice. I'm a fan of the stuff, but have not been able to have a before and after comparison.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Nice. I got a temp gauge in the car, there I should know by how much it drops me
yeah, I just dont agree with the gauges we have on our cars. I like the digital ones that give you actual numbers.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Yeah, I could see if you live in warm climate areas or in the middle of the summer not having a prob with removing your tstat. As long as it seems like your radiator fluid is still circulating through the system good.

That's cool you were able to see a difference with Purple Ice. I'm a fan of the stuff, but have not been able to have a before and after comparison.
Im glad we are on the same page, but I do have a highflow water pump in mine or it said that when I bought it off of summit. The water flows just like when the stat is in there and it even builds up pressure at the same time but not at 16 psi though, no there is no issues either. I asked one of the Humvee Mech over here if they have them in there and he told me sometimes they will take them out cuz it gets so hott over here. But anyways, I didnt mean to take over his thread about it sorry BRO!

I saw this on my Mustang but when I put it in the Impala I didnt see anything. I beleave in it on the side of it actually does keep the internals from rusting and from what I was told by the rep of Royal purple it keeps the water pump lubed ?!? not sure on that, but thats what he said.....

ROUSH96GT The moral of the whole story is that I wouldnt change any parts out until it gets a little cooler because it is hard to cool down HOTT/ humid air. I say at least until the temps/ heat index reaches oh say below 90 degrees. If it start to run hott or out of the normal range when it is cool I would def say you have a issue. If you want to know some ways to test the system and get a general area that you can look at then I def and explain some if you want me too
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

yeah, I just dont agree with the gauges we have on our cars. I like the digital ones that give you actual numbers.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Im glad we are on the same page, but I do have a highflow water pump in mine or it said that when I bought it off of summit. The water flows just like when the stat is in there and it even builds up pressure at the same time but not at 16 psi though, no there is no issues either. I asked one of the Humvee Mech over here if they have them in there and he told me sometimes they will take them out cuz it gets so hott over here. But anyways, I didnt mean to take over his thread about it sorry BRO!

I saw this on my Mustang but when I put it in the Impala I didnt see anything. I beleave in it on the side of it actually does keep the internals from rusting and from what I was told by the rep of Royal purple it keeps the water pump lubed ?!? not sure on that, but thats what he said.....

ROUSH96GT The moral of the whole story is that I wouldnt change any parts out until it gets a little cooler because it is hard to cool down HOTT/ humid air. I say at least until the temps/ heat index reaches oh say below 90 degrees. If it start to run hott or out of the normal range when it is cool I would def say you have a issue. If you want to know some ways to test the system and get a general area that you can look at then I def and explain some if you want me too
Ja I know right, might as well be gaugeless. I've never seen the digitals ones out to check those out. The one I have in it a needle point
{Never Enough HP}
Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #40
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Totally agree with you on the temp gauge. Having an actual reading would be great.

Roush96GT, hope you get you temp prob figured out.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ja I know right, might as well be gaugeless. I've never seen the digitals ones out to check those out. The one I have in it a needle point
I want to say I have seen them out there but dont quote me on that. I was looking at gauges for my pod thats going on my a pillar for my boost and I thought I came across one.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I live in west Texas where there is no humidity, but days where its 120, my stang has never ran hot. Last night at 1140 going home I looked at my iat via sct the air temp was still 104. I bet radiator.
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I want to say I have seen them out there but dont quote me on that. I was looking at gauges for my pod thats going on my a pillar for my boost and I thought I came across one.
I just looked em up and found all kinds, on google though jaja. Have you tryed summit or lethal? Im guessing you have but still gotta ask
{Never Enough HP}
Old 08-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just looked em up and found all kinds, on google though jaja. Have you tryed summit or lethal? Im guessing you have but still gotta ask
Naw, im trying not to spend money lol....
Old 08-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Naw, im trying not to spend money lol....
Jaja I hear that. I always wanna buy this or that but end up saving the money. Weird how it still ends up getting spent some how.
{Never Enough HP}
Old 08-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Jaja I hear that. I always wanna buy this or that but end up saving the money. Weird how it still ends up getting spent some how.
yeah i know thats right lol.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to 96NYCGT
That's how my needle used to be I change my thermostats, coolant temperature gauge sending units and coolant temp sensor but the problem was still there until one day in NYC traffic my pump was leaking so change it and now I'm running as normal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-969707739.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	62817  
96NYCGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96NYCGT
That's how my needle used to be I change my thermostats, coolant temperature gauge sending units and coolant temp sensor but the problem was still there until one day in NYC traffic my pump was leaking so change it and now I'm running as normal
Dayum, beyond boiling
Id say if it was only water it would of already evaporated
{Never Enough HP}
Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96NYCGT
That's about where mine runs. But today it was 96 degrees and it ran in the normal part most of the time.
96Roushgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #50
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Mine is always just a smidge to the left of straight up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT