4.6 running hot - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
4.6 running hot

Is it normal for a 4.6L to run alittle hot?
96Roushgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It shouldn't run hot, where is your temp gauge reading after you get to operating temperature?
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I got a gauge showing me 200-220°
Car gauge always in the middle
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Have you tried flushing your radiator? It might not be flowing well enough to cool your engine properly if there are a lot of deposits in your coolant.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It sits around a on the normal. Had a heater hose blow off a couple days ago as well?
Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Re: 4.6 running hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Roushgt View Post
It sits around a on the normal. Had a heater hose blow off a couple days ago as well?
As long as it is in the normal range you are fine. I'm not sure where you are at but down in the south on a hott day my car will run 10-20 degrees and sometimes 30 degress hottier then normal which is 180-190, esp if the hot side air is above 100 degrees. If it starts to head for the red part of the gauge then you have a problem. The hose could have blow off due to a worn out hose, you can flush the rat like said above.

When you get on the highway does the temp drop some?
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
You could have too much antifreeze in and not enough water. Try putting in about 12oz of water at a time to see if the temp drops.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It verys. On the highway it runs normal.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Roushgt
It verys. On the highway it runs normal.
Ohok well try to flush the radiator and check the front of the radiator and make sure its not blocked by debris like bugs and stuff. Is you want when the car is cold try spraying the fins of the radiator with a water hose from back to front or opposite of the way the air flows. I've seen the radiator fins be stopped up restricting the air flow causeing it to run hott at low speeds or stand still, hope that makes sense.
As long as thee is a good green tint to the antifreeze your good.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #10

Region: South Carolina

If it runs normal on the highway but not a slow speed or idle it could be the cooling fan isn't coming on. Check to see if the fan comes on when the air conditioner is on or the car is over normal temperature. This very thing happened to my wife's Mustang yesterday and it overheated while she was stuck in traffic. I'd check to see if the fan is operating properly before you go into coolant flushes, which is exactly what I'm going to do today after I get some sleep (worked night shift).
Old 08-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the reply's. I appreciate all the help guys. I'll keep this thread updated *** much as possible.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

*as
Old 08-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Thermostat
importkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Do you have electric fans or a clutch fan?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Electric
Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Can you hear them come on when you're driving at slower speeds and when you are stopped?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. The fan will kick on when it gets to temp. I believe it's just the humidity. I live in Ohio and its been 80 and up for the last couple of months.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Roushgt
Yes. The fan will kick on when it gets to temp. I believe it's just the humidity. I live in Ohio and its been 80 and up for the last couple of months.
Then it might be the thermostat as mentioned earlier
Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Then it might be the thermostat as mentioned earlier
I replaced the thermostat 2 days ago. Might be faulty wiring. It Had a fire in the fuse box about 5 months back. Just got her back 3 weeks ago.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #19

Region: South Carolina

Mine turned out to be the fan motor. First I found the 50 amp fuse blown. Then I found the outer ring of the fan blade had broke causing it to fly outward and eat into the shroud. I guess pieces of plastic made their way into the motor windings and locked it up or it couldn't handle the extra load.

You said your fan kicks in when at temp but does it also kick into high speed?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_doerr View Post
Mine turned out to be the fan motor. First I found the 50 amp fuse blown. Then I found the outer ring of the fan blade had broke causing it to fly outward and eat into the shroud. I guess pieces of plastic made their way into the motor windings and locked it up or it couldn't handle the extra load.

You said your fan kicks in when at temp but does it also kick into high speed?
I think it only has one speed....well mine does anyway.

I def think its because its humid outside, mine did it last year on the hottest day we had in MS. I took the thermostat out and it never did it again and never had any issues. I still dont think its in there now lol....
Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

I don't think its good to run without a thermostat. It can't build up pressure or can't hold water in radiator to cool the water down. Its something like that. Someone told me that years ago. Buts that's just my opinion.

Don't the 96s radiators suck or something and most people upgrade to 3 row. Again, something I read.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

The purpose of the tstat is to 1- give the motor a chance to get to a good operating temp. and 2- to give the radiator a chance to cool the water or coolant that is in it at the time. Without the tstat the water continues to circulate through the system continuously and once it has started to overheat it is really hard to get it to stop unless you turn off the engine or there is a great temperature difference in air coming through the radiator. Hope this helps you in some way as far as the operation of a tstat.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Not sure how well these car are about no air pockets in the cooling system but I have seen cars get air locked when filling the car up with coolant. Park the car with the front of the car higher than the back of it and check the coolant again to make sure you are full. If it is then check to make sure the fan is turning the right way. Seen that happen too..
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit
The purpose of the tstat is to 1- give the motor a chance to get to a good operating temp. and 2- to give the radiator a chance to cool the water or coolant that is in it at the time. Without the tstat the water continues to circulate through the system continuously and once it has started to overheat it is really hard to get it to stop unless you turn off the engine or there is a great temperature difference in air coming through the radiator. Hope this helps you in some way as far as the operation of a tstat.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Not sure how well these car are about no air pockets in the cooling system but I have seen cars get air locked when filling the car up with coolant. Park the car with the front of the car higher than the back of it and check the coolant again to make sure you are full. If it is then check to make sure the fan is turning the right way. Seen that happen too..
Been running without one for a year and never once has the car over heated. The car runs at normal temp and I never loose and coolant or have to fill it up. The only thing I see is it take longer to to get to op temp during the winter. But I also have the fan come on at lower temps with the tuner. But I will be putting it in there when I get the kb kit. If you thing you got a air pocket then pull the coolant cap off the resevior and crank the car and let run for three mins and the air bubbles so escape, that's how I did it when I pit the new motor in.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Sorry for the typos on my phone lol
Old 08-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

[QUOTE=southernstang00;1254850]Been running without one for a year and never once has the car over heated. The car runs at normal temp and I never loose and coolant or have to fill it up. The only thing I see is it take longer to to get to op temp during the winter. But I also have the fan come on at lower temps with the tuner. But I will be putting it in there when I get the kb kit. If you thing you got a air pocket then pull the coolant cap off the resevior and crank the car and let run for three mins and the air bubbles so escape, that's how I did it when I pit the new motor in.[COLOR="Silver"]

Oh yes you can most certainly run it that way without problems for the most part. Seen it done before plenty of times.
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I just went through all this on my Firebird Formula I had. Replaced everything from sensors to fan relays. Wound up being the radiator. They tested the radiator and said it flowed fine. It did not flow enough though. Finally, I pulled the radiator and cut it in half. There was gunk built ip in it. With higher performing cars, if you do not have 100 percent flow, it will not be enough. Now the car doesn't even get to the mid-way point on temp guage. Shop EBAY for good deals.

Also, I put a OE new radiator back on it. Nothing fancy.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

Been running without one for a year and never once has the car over heated. The car runs at normal temp and I never loose and coolant or have to fill it up. The only thing I see is it take longer to to get to op temp during the winter. But I also have the fan come on at lower temps with the tuner. But I will be putting it in there when I get the kb kit. If you thing you got a air pocket then pull the coolant cap off the resevior and crank the car and let run for three mins and the air bubbles so escape, that's how I did it when I pit the new motor in.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Sorry for the typos on my phone lol
Do NOT run without a thermostat!!!
The purpose of you running without one would be to save mo ey and not have to buy a radiator, which is what you really need. You will actually spend more money that way. I got my new radiator for under 100.00 on EBAY.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang06gt
I just went through all this on my Firebird Formula I had. Replaced everything from sensors to fan relays. Wound up being the radiator. They tested the radiator and said it flowed fine. It did not flow enough though. Finally, I pulled the radiator and cut it in half. There was gunk built ip in it. With higher performing cars, if you do not have 100 percent flow, it will not be enough. Now the car doesn't even get to the mid-way point on temp guage. Shop EBAY for good deals.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

The purpose of you running without one would be to save mo ey and not have to buy a radiator, which is what you really need. You will actually spend more money that way. I got my new radiator for under 100.00 on EBAY.
Sorry, money, not mo ey. Lol

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=36743880971
mustang06gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang06gt View Post

The purpose of you running without one would be to save mo ey and not have to buy a radiator, which is what you really need. You will actually spend more money that way. I got my new radiator for under 100.00 on EBAY.[/url]
Actually, my radiator was fine and still in there speaking of which. Actually the purpose of taking it out wasnt to save move but instead to keep my car from running a little on hott or a little above normal on the hottest days of the summer. If you put the thermostat back in the car is fine so is the radiator. In other words when I took it out I forgot to put it back in there because I didnt have time because of work and getting ready for deployment. I had a 160 degree in there and it still ran over that because it was really hott outside. Just because it does this doesnt mean the radiator is bad, it could be that dirt, bugs, atc have gotten in the fins of the radiator restricting the air flow thus not allowing the antifreeze to cool down like it is suppose to or its hott and humid outside but not all cars and trucks do it.

IMO, I wouldnt replace anything or buy parts until the air cools down in your area to see if thats all it is. If it still runs hott when the air outside is cool then you have a problem. Like I said If it is really humid and hott outside then THERE is a chance you car will run a little higher then normal. We see it over here all the time with the trucks and cars where the temp is 120 plus, and heat index's reaching in the 130's. I say just wait until it cools down man and see if it stops.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Oh yes you can most certainly run it that way without problems for the most part. Seen it done before plenty of times.
I def agree, but I guess I gave the wrong impression that I was trying to tell him to take it out which I was not. lol oh well....in the summer time I really didnt see any issues far as heating up to op temps....its the winter time it took forever to heat up that the only down fall I saw.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

96roushGT I got a question that noone has asked you or maybe I over looked it. When it ran a little hott, does it do it everytime you drive the car or was it just like a one time maybe twice type of deal?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:28 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

Actually, my radiator was fine and still in there speaking of which. Actually the purpose of taking it out wasnt to save move but instead to keep my car from running a little on hott or a little above normal on the hottest days of the summer. If you put the thermostat back in the car is fine so is the radiator. In other words when I took it out I forgot to put it back in there because I didnt have time because of work and getting ready for deployment. I had a 160 degree in there and it still ran over that because it was really hott outside. Just because it does this doesnt mean the radiator is bad, it could be that dirt, bugs, atc have gotten in the fins of the radiator restricting the air flow thus not allowing the antifreeze to cool down like it is suppose to or its hott and humid outside but not all cars and trucks do it.

IMO, I wouldnt replace anything or buy parts until the air cools down in your area to see if thats all it is. If it still runs hott when the air outside is cool then you have a problem. Like I said If it is really humid and hott outside then THERE is a chance you car will run a little higher then normal. We see it over here all the time with the trucks and cars where the temp is 120 plus, and heat index's reaching in the 130's. I say just wait until it cools down man and see if it stops.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

I def agree, but I guess I gave the wrong impression that I was trying to tell him to take it out which I was not. lol oh well....in the summer time I really didnt see any issues far as heating up to op temps....its the winter time it took forever to heat up that the only down fall I saw.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

96roushGT I got a question that noone has asked you or maybe I over looked it. When it ran a little hott, does it do it everytime you drive the car or was it just like a one time maybe twice type of deal?
It does it every once in a while. Sometimes it'll just read in the normal. Other times it'll read alittle hotter than usual.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

ohok, well if it was me I would wait until the air cools down some and see if it still does the same thing. This can be alot of things and if you start to replace parts then it will add up. As long as its in the normal range I would leave it along, now if is reachs the red part then there is a issue. Try washing the the fins of the radiator out with a water hose front the engine compartment towards the front. Just dont use a high pressure stream or you will bend the fins. But like I said I would just wait on buying parts. It could also be a faulty sensor or gauge ya never know.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #29
Lorraine's driver

Regular

IMO and experience running w/o a tstat will just keep your car internals from getting to the proper operating temps as soon as possible. You want the oil to be the correct temperature so that it works it's way around the engine properly. If it takes longer to get to that temp, then that's longer the engine runs w/o oil in all the right places. This is also true when you drop a lower temp than spec tstat in your car. This can make it so your short trips to the quik-e-mart could be hurting your engine because it never fully gets to operating temp. This can also cause your exhaust to rust out prematurely. The temp never gets hot enough to remove the condensate in your exhaust. So when you shutdown your engine, you have more water setting in your exhaust system. I'm sure the poster who mentioned the system pressure could be affected is right. Most systems have a little orifice that is within you system before the radiator fluid goes into the heater core to knock down the pressure. Having the tstat missing might cause this reassure to be a little higher, which could lead to premature heater core failure. It could affect the operation of the water pump as well.

How hot your car runs is a function of the radiator size, given all the supporting cast is in working order. You could upgrade then cooling fan and that would help some. I do remember there were cooling probs with certain years of new edge Mustangs, just can't remember exactly what year.

As for OP's probs, there were good suggestions in here, I was just wanting to mention some things I've experienced with cooling systems. Sorry this is so long, but there are a lot of people who neglect their cooling systems unknowingly.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to 96NYCGT
I have that problem and it was my water pump that was going when I drive on the highway around 40 plus the gauge would be normal but once I stop then temp would rise until one day I put my AC and drive and the water pump was dripping
96NYCGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

What about using water cooler additives?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120806_224931.png
Views:	394
Size:	547.6 KB
ID:	62582
{Never Enough HP}
Old 08-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #32
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I use Purple Ice from Royal Purple. I completely flushed the system before using it though, cause I wasn't sure what she had when I bought her. I can't tell if it's better, but the temp gauge never has gone past just left of straight up.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
I use Purple Ice from Royal Purple. I completely flushed the system before using it though, cause I wasn't sure what she had when I bought her. I can't tell if it's better, but the temp gauge never has gone past just left of straight up.
Im guessing a bottle for the entire system?
{Never Enough HP}
Old 08-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #34
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Im guessing a bottle for the entire system?
Yup, I think it's something like that. I wonder if you could use more and have better results..?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
IMO and experience running w/o a tstat will just keep your car internals from getting to the proper operating temps as soon as possible. You want the oil to be the correct temperature so that it works it's way around the engine properly. If it takes longer to get to that temp, then that's longer the engine runs w/o oil in all the right places. This is also true when you drop a lower temp than spec tstat in your car. This can make it so your short trips to the quik-e-mart could be hurting your engine because it never fully gets to operating temp. This can also cause your exhaust to rust out prematurely. The temp never gets hot enough to remove the condensate in your exhaust. So when you shutdown your engine, you have more water setting in your exhaust system.

I can see that in the winter but not in the summer where the temps are above 80 for say. During the summer time after I took it out I really did notice a difference in the length of time it took to get to op temp. I want to say I put it back during the winter time because I got tired of having to drive half way to work on cold air. Normal I would go 160 degree thermostat during the summer time and then in the winter I would go back to the stock temp. But either way good on explaining everything though

Far as the Royal Purple additive I added whatever it was recommended on the bottle and ran it for a good bit. I some maybe a 5-6 temp difference by using a temp gun pointed at the coolant before and after I added it. I was adding some more one day and I dropped the bottle of Royal Purple additive and the bottle started to leak so I just ended up adding the whole bottle, I think I saw like another 2-4 temp drop? So it works a little bit for the money you will pay for it but not one time did I notice it on the gauge but instead on the heat temp gun.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT