pulleys help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
pulleys help

Ordered steeda pulleys tried to install on 96 gt. The long crank bolt got real hard to turn. Took it out and threads were missing. Here they sent me a course thread. My small crank bolt is fine thread. So now I'm without a vehicle. Did I do something wrong or what? I'm so dam mad. I can't even put stock back on. Can someone give me some advice? Thanks
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Eek. That sux big time.

I would try getting a tap the right size and chasing the threads. Hopefully there is enough meat in there to get some good threads back.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: pulleys help

It only messed up first 2 threads. I was just going to get a fine thread bolt and see if I can get it to pull in. Anybody know where to order one and what size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Road Trip!

I would contact the place you bought it from and make them send you a new one.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I got them on eBay auction from modded mustangs. They were never installed. Sucks I just couldn't contact steeda. You would figure they would know its fine thread. I'm trying to read up on it. I've read 4 stories about the same problem.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Road Trip!

That's wierd. You would think stress would have there shiz together.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ye you would think. Bad part I can't put stock back on without starter bolt. Them pulleys and my cai, I be popping wheelies in no time. Lol even tho I'm pissed

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Been reading, what's harmonic balance install tool? Could I use that instead of the starter bolt? My neighbor was doing it but he had to go to jail for 30 days. NO WAY I can go that long without the stang. He left me his tools compressor, impact, and other stuff. So I'm willing to try.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt
Ordered steeda pulleys tried to install on 96 gt. The long crank bolt got real hard to turn. Took it out and threads were missing. Here they sent me a course thread. My small crank bolt is fine thread. So now I'm without a vehicle. Did I do something wrong or what? I'm so dam mad. I can't even put stock back on. Can someone give me some advice? Thanks
Wait are you saying you tried to use that starter bolt they give you as a crank bolt?!! You may have just majorly screwed up man. That is a starter bolt only... I hear if you do that you're in for some very costly repairs...

Please let us know what happens. I've been researching steeda pullies and i think i'm going to buy them for the next upgrade.
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I been wanting to get some to
chris25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Don't the starter bolt pull the pulley in? Then take it out and put stock bolt I. Stock bolt wont reach threads.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't the starter bolt pull the pulley in? Then take it out and put stock bolt I. Stock bolt wont reach threads.
Yeah, its just to get it a little closer. But if your feeling much resistance on that you should stop and throw the original bolt back on.

I was just making sure you didn't think that was a replacement bolt...
Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Dam you had me worried for a second. How do people get their crank pulley on if they take it off and didn't put Udps on? I asked the Guy at advance, he said they don't sell bolts that big. But u know how them workers are.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dam you had me worried for a second. How do people get their crank pulley on if they take it off and didn't put Udps on? I asked the Guy at advance, he said they don't sell bolts that big. But u know how them workers are.
That thing should go on fairly easy. I don't think u actually need a starter bolt. I could be wrong. Just shove it in there good. Yeah, i'd say that bolt is almost useless and prob causes more problems than anything.

U stripped the stock bolt right? You might have to order that one from ford...
Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

No I didn't strip stock bolt. Messed first two threads on steedas long bolt because its course thread and stock bolt is fine thread.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Been reading, so in 96 you just tighten crank bolt to 114 - 121. So its not like others where you tighten to 67lbs. Then turn back one turn. Then tighten to 37 and so on. So should I just set wrench on 115lbs and tighten? I want to make sure that's right cause I know not everything you read is true. Getting ready to go rent harmonic balance installer. Any help is much appreciated
Old 08-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Been reading, so in 96 you just tighten crank bolt to 114 - 121. So its not like others where you tighten to 67lbs. Then turn back one turn. Then tighten to 37 and so on. So should I just set wrench on 115lbs and tighten? I want to make sure that's right cause I know not everything you read is true. Getting ready to go rent harmonic balance installer. Any help is much appreciated
There is a video in American muscle on how to put a steeda udp on. Also there should be instructions with the pulley itself. Or you may be able to chek all data or repair manual for those torque specs... Its a pretty common upgrade, there should be some kind of good write up floating around

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT