Brakes whining?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Brakes whining??

Brakes are making an awful whining noise, the pads look like they could use changing but there not too bad. It doesn't feel like metal on metal or a squeaking noise. It also doesn't make the noise when I'm close to stopping just when braking from a higher speed. Any suggestions guys?

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

I would say that it most resembles a hissing noise and can easily be heard from inside the car
d_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: Brakes whining??

Could be something caught between rotor and pad. Or its just about time for new pads.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt
Could be something caught between rotor and pad. Or its just about time for new pads.
Yeah bc mine didn't even squeek and if found out it was metal to metal
05MUSTANG4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Alright I guess I'll spring for some new pads, I dnt have to do anything crazy for doing the pads do I? I've read up on the brake job n heard about "bleeding" the calipers and greasing a bunch of stuff. When it comes to the pads I can simply just swap them right??
Old 08-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_1212
Alright I guess I'll spring for some new pads, I dnt have to do anything crazy for doing the pads do I? I've read up on the brake job n heard about "bleeding" the calipers and greasing a bunch of stuff. When it comes to the pads I can simply just swap them right??
Yes you just swap on the front. Get a wrench and loosen the calipers, I like to get a clothes hanger to hold up my caliper so it's not dangling. You will need a 3"-5" in C clamp, or a pad separator to push the piston into the bore. To make room for the new pads. It's also very wise to take the sliders out and clean and lube them.

I recommend brake parts lube found at any store. Just smother and cover on grease. I always wipe excess off with a paper towel. Also make sure you rub the pad backing down with anti seize and the piston as well or it will squeal. Also CRC brake clean in the green can to clean.

If you're a little crazy like me after I put the calipers back on, I clean the wheel wells real good. Optional-but while I'm there I might as well.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

Yes you just swap on the front. Get a wrench and loosen the calipers, I like to get a clothes hanger to hold up my caliper so it's not dangling. You will need a 3"-5" in C clamp, or a pad separator to push the piston into the bore. To make room for the new pads. It's also very wise to take the sliders out and clean and lube them.

I recommend brake parts lube found at any store. Just smother and cover on grease. I always wipe excess off with a paper towel. Also make sure you rub the pad backing down with anti seize and the piston as well or it will squeal. Also CRC brake clean in the green can to clean.

If you're a little crazy like me after I put the calipers back on, I clean the wheel wells real good. Optional-but while I'm there I might as well.
Awesome thanks for the detailed answer, I'll def do all of that

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT