KB build-up thread.. - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360
I like what you did using the elbows it looks like the flow will be more efficient , did you also have to trim the upper radiator hose? Mine was rubbing on the IC bottle!!! And your valve covers are nice I like them, are they metal or plastic?
Thanks man, I like that better then they wanted. It actually flows pretty good, and the upper radiator hose came with the kit but I matched it up with the stock one and I would have to cut it a little bit. Far as the valve covers they are metal lol. You can get them from summit, dunno about AM.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
So is the install all buttoned up now??? Any ideas when you are gonna be getting her tuned??
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #108
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
This is my impatience side, but could you flash with the tune that came with your kit, just so you could drive it some?
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Re: KB build-up thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
So is the install all buttoned up now??? Any ideas when you are gonna be getting her tuned??
Yep, its all in just sitting there under the cover. Um, I dunno I went to the place to talk to them about getting it tuned. He said he would get back with me cuz they were busy and he would have to ask the guy that does the tuning on when he could get to it. Im hoping at the end of this week early next week.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
This is my impatience side, but could you flash with the tune that came with your kit, just so you could drive it some?
Man, you have no idea I cant wait to see what the numbers are bro. The computer is still flashed to the last tune but im afraid to use it because the tune is still for the 30 LBS injectors, I went with 60's. The guy has my tuner and is going to build a tune for me to start it up to make sure there isnt any leaks and problems before I give it to them.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, for my fellow KB people I have a few questions because I never have owned a supercharger.

So I got a start up tune to check everything out and make sure nothing is leaking. The car started up fine, little rough at idle but once you let it run with the foot barely on the gas it idles normal. At first there was a slight wine, like that of the supercharger but it sounded like it was coming from the back part of the motor, Is that normal for a first start up? Another thing is that there is alot of vac on the engine so much that when you loosen the oil cap it has a sucking sound at first. Is this because the tune has a alot of vac so that it doesnt produce boost as a safety thing until tuned? The bypass valve isnt really moving when you hit the gas BTW.

Once the engine is at idle the slight whine noise is slightly heard but goes away when you give it gas, is that normal?

Advice please....
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #111
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00
Ok, for my fellow KB people I have a few questions because I never have owned a supercharger.

So I got a start up tune to check everything out and make sure nothing is leaking. The car started up fine, little rough at idle but once you let it run with the foot barely on the gas it idles normal. At first there was a slight wine, like that of the supercharger but it sounded like it was coming from the back part of the motor, Is that normal for a first start up? Another thing is that there is alot of vac on the engine so much that when you loosen the oil cap it has a sucking sound at first. Is this because the tune has a alot of vac so that it doesnt produce boost as a safety thing until tuned? The bypass valve isnt really moving when you hit the gas BTW.

Once the engine is at idle the slight whine noise is slightly heard but goes away when you give it gas, is that normal?

Advice please....
I can't really answer your questions. But I will say do not rev it what so ever. Because you can very easily damage something. I don't remember the exact figure. But I wanna say that 75-85% of forced induction engine failures happen before proper tuning. So I just want to let you know.to be careful and resist the urge.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I can't really answer your questions. But I will say do not rev it what so ever. Because you can very easily damage something. I don't remember the exact figure. But I wanna say that 75-85% of forced induction engine failures happen before proper tuning. So I just want to let you know.to be careful and resist the urge.
No No, I dont rev it up over 2 grand.....I watch it the bypass valve doesnt even move at all...So i think he did something to the tune to where it doesnt create boost.

This is what is sounds like:
Old 09-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #113
Road Trip!

Quote:

No No, I dont rev it up over 2 grand.....I watch it the bypass valve doesnt even move at all...So i think he did something to the tune to where it doesnt create boost.

This is what is sounds like:
ok, just wanted to make sure. because alot of people dont understand that.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
ok, just wanted to make sure. because alot of people dont understand that.
Yeah, i didnt want to push it...I was only running it up to check for leaks and stuff. I just had to rev it up a little cuz the idle was off. He has it running rich. Thanks for the heads up too...
Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #115
Road Trip!

its hard to tell over the internet. but i hear what seems to be more of a screaching noise. it sounds different from the actual whine of the kb. to me what im hearing sounds like a belt.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

also i dont THINK he can tune it to no boost. unless there is some sort of electronic boost controller. the bybass valve is mechanincal right? sorry i cant be of more assistance but my experience lyes more in older models. butq im sure you will get plenty of chime ins. and good luck man. the KB looks sick on there, and you have a very nice ride.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote:

Yeah, i didnt want to push it...I was only running it up to check for leaks and stuff. I just had to rev it up a little cuz the idle was off. He has it running rich. Thanks for the heads up too...
im guessing the startup tune is just really rich and very little timing etc etc.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
its hard to tell over the internet. but i hear what seems to be more of a screaching noise. it sounds different from the actual whine of the kb. to me what im hearing sounds like a belt.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

also i dont THINK he can tune it to no boost. unless there is some sort of electronic boost controller. the bybass valve is mechanincal right? sorry i cant be of more assistance but my experience lyes more in older models. butq im sure you will get plenty of chime ins. and good luck man. the KB looks sick on there, and you have a very nice ride.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

im guessing the startup tune is just really rich and very little timing etc etc.
In that video the belt is noisey but on mine the belt is fine. The noise sounds just like the non belt noise. If you look at some of the related videos they all make the non belt noise. The bypass is mechanicial or runs off of vac. Thanks, just hope nothing is wrong, it ran fine though. Maybe so, this gut knows a lot so who knows. Thanks for the info though
Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Nice ride.

Where did you get that mesh lower grille in the front?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #118
Road Trip!

Quote:
In that video the belt is noisey but on mine the belt is fine. The noise sounds just like the non belt noise. If you look at some of the related videos they all make the non belt noise. The bypass is mechanicial or runs off of vac. Thanks, just hope nothing is wrong, it ran fine though. Maybe so, this gut knows a lot so who knows. Thanks for the info though
Your welcome and good luck. I will keep my fingers crossed for ya.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander
Nice ride.

Where did you get that mesh lower grille in the front?
That's not my car, its just a video I found on YouTube since I didn't record mine lol
Old 09-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Dang.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dang.
Haha, mine sounds better. I cranked it up this morning before work and that noise is the supercharger. Which if you type in mustang KB 2.1 you hear the same noise on all of them.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Nice.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #123
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Not the same but my blower has a whine at idle as well. You did add oil as directed right?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #124
Lorraine's driver

Regular

All the KB setups I've heard online and in person seemed to whine louder than other SC's, even at idle.

Your gonna have a sick setup when you are done.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Not the same but my blower has a whine at idle as well. You did add oil as directed right?
Yeah, its at the full mark. I went out there and tried something, i disconnected the valve cover hose from the driver side leading to the pcv valve I installed on that side because of the oil issue (another story). The noise I was hearing went away, the vac that was being seen in the valve cover esp when you tried to remove the oil cap went away. So I remove the valve and its normal now.

Can too much vac on a engine cause any damage to the engine itself? Esp when there is too much some vac in valve cover causing the oil filler cap to make a vacuum sound when you remove it or sucking sound.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
All the KB setups I've heard online and in person seemed to whine louder than other SC's, even at idle.

Your gonna have a sick setup when you are done.
Yea it has a little bit of noise now, which is normal now as I have seen in some videos.

Ha, thanks I cant wait to ride in it and see the numbers
Old 09-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #126
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post

Yeah, its at the full mark. I went out there and tried something, i disconnected the valve cover hose from the driver side leading to the pcv valve I installed on that side because of the oil issue (another story). The noise I was hearing went away, the vac that was being seen in the valve cover esp when you tried to remove the oil cap went away. So I remove the valve and its normal now.

Can too much vac on a engine cause any damage to the engine itself? Esp when there is too much some vac in valve cover causing the oil filler cap to make a vacuum sound when you remove it or sucking sound.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Yea it has a little bit of noise now, which is normal now as I have seen in some videos.

Ha, thanks I cant wait to ride in it and see the numbers
Although, by noise, I don't mean bad. I'm sure you knew what I meant
Old 09-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Advice please....
Glad to hear your one step closer to getting that baby on the road, sounds like you got the whine figured out ( that's normal , lol) anyway , from what I understand about the bypass valve it will only open when the blower produces more air than it should , say you're running 10lbs of boost and you are at wot, the blower may produce more pressure than you can take in at a given time, that's when the bypass valve opens up and you bypass the extra air and it gets piped back in before the supercharger and throttle body, this keeps boost from spiking to dangerous levels and keeps things from blowing up.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Although, by noise, I don't mean bad. I'm sure you knew what I meant
Yeah I knew whatcha meant lol.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote:

Glad to hear your one step closer to getting that baby on the road, sounds like you got the whine figured out ( that's normal , lol) anyway , from what I understand about the bypass valve it will only open when the blower produces more air than it should , say you're running 10lbs of boost and you are at wot, the blower may produce more pressure than you can take in at a given time, that's when the bypass valve opens up and you bypass the extra air and it gets piped back in before the supercharger and throttle body, this keeps boost from spiking to dangerous levels and keeps things from blowing up.
Yeah me too, can't wait to get it on the road. Thanks for the info on the bypass valve. I think the dude did something with the start up tune to keep the charger from producing boost.
Can too much vac cause damage to the engine. ?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I knew whatcha meant lol.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Yeah me too, can't wait to get it on the road. Thanks for the info on the bypass valve. I think the dude did something with the start up tune to keep the charger from producing boost.
I've never really heard of to much vacuum, but I know a motor with good compression will have a strong suction, if you take take off the cai and put your hand in front of the throttle body you should feel good suction, I think when you opened the oil cap you just got a similar effect. I don't think you can stop the supercharger from making boost , boost is air, the start up tune is only giving you a minimum a/f ratio, timing, spark, and you are probably running a bit rich, untill the tune is dialed in she won't be at her best.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes.
But you would have to run it for a little while like that right ? I only ran the car for a total of 10 mins at idle. Think in ok? The engine isnt noisey at all.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #132
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

But you would have to run it for a little while like that right ? I only ran the car for a total of 10 mins at idle. Think in ok? The engine isnt noisey at all.
IMO, it seems like you would know if something was wrong based on how it's running now and what little RPMs it has gone so far. Seems like you'd be able to tell right away, like noise or something like that. Obviously that's a guess, but my
Old 09-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

I would trailer it to the stang guy just to be safe.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #134
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander View Post
Good idea
Old 09-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

IMO, it seems like you would know if something was wrong based on how it's running now and what little RPMs it has gone so far. Seems like you'd be able to tell right away, like noise or something like that. Obviously that's a guess, but my
I Def agree...

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Quote:
It's there now getting tuned.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #136
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
It's there now getting tuned.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing yet, I should know something tom.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nothing yet, I should know something tom.
Any news bro???
Old 09-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Any news bro???
Naw, not yet hope everything is Okie. Lol.....I should know something either Tues or Wed
Old 09-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Naw, not yet hope everything is Okie. Lol.....I should know something either Tues or Wed
The waiting has to be driving you crazy!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT