KB build-up thread.. - Page 7 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #211
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

Well some how I had cheap champion plugs in there with the gap set at .065 or so causing spark blow out because there is a mist at certain speeds and throttle. I'm putting ngk iridium plugs in there with the gap set at .030 to see if that fixes the problem.
Get the ngk tr6 plugs. I have mine at 28 for my vortech
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #212
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson

I think that's what I have I will have to check it when I get home.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #213
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post

Those are good cold plugs
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #214
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post

I think that's what I have I will have to check it when I get home.
American Muscle sells the TR55's. Those are good, but closer to stock plugs temp.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #215
Registered Member
Regular

the ones I have at the house are TR55ix plugs by NGK. Are they good ones?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #216
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
the ones I have at the house are TR55ix plugs by NGK. Are they good ones?
Yup, I think so. They are not as cold as the TR6's, but I noticed they are not on their website anymore. I wonder if they have stopped making the TR6's. Anyway, I do think they are good. I believe I was told they have an extra thread or two on them which I think is good for our heads.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #217
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i didnt see them either, but I went with these because the shop that does the work for me recommended them and has had success with them. Just got to get them in there and see if that fixes me problem.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #218
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
yeah i didnt see them either, but I went with these because the shop that does the work for me recommended them and has had success with them. Just got to get them in there and see if that fixes me problem.
I'm glad they gave you a recommendation. I would feel good with those.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #219
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

I'm glad they gave you a recommendation. I would feel good with those.
Changed the plugs, didn't fix it so we are thinking its the rigid air intake piece that's cause the air turbalance making the engine run weird.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #220
Road Trip!

Quote:

Changed the plugs, didn't fix it so we are thinking its the rigid air intake piece that's cause the air turbalance making the engine run weird.
so did you take it back to the tuner? that is wierd they would have gave it back not right! or am i missing something?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #221
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post

so did you take it back to the tuner? that is wierd they would have gave it back not right! or am i missing something?
Yeah, maybe something got disconnected or loosened that is causing this. You might want to have a look-see around all your connections.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #222
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Glad to see you got the car back, but I thought for sure you would of put down higher #'s , I think this may solve your issues http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/A...oostaspark.htm The boost a spark is recommended for 10lbs of boost or more but I'm thinking with the increased airflow with your heads you would need the BAS to increase the spark pulse and keep it steady , I would of thought wit all the stuff you have done you would of been putting down at least 420 I'm putting down 360 and I'm all stock I had it at 380 but we kicked it down to be conservative

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

It does sound weird!!! We're you there when they tuned it?
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #223
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well he wanted me to change the spark plugs to see if that fixed the issue because I had some crappy champions in there and the gap was set at 60. So I put the new plugs in and it help a little bit.

So I took the flexable hose off that connects from the MAF and runs into the fender to the filter. So I connected my old filter back onto the MAF and placed it right behide the headlight. I know KB recommends not to use under the hood filters but I really dont want to spend another few hundred bucks on something that doesnt make that big of a difference.

So what do you guys think about leaving the filter right behide the headlight so where its pretty much a straigh shot of air that doesnt go into 90 degree bends before it gets to the engine but placing a heat shield over the filter? You really think its going to make a big of a difference between the filter being in the fender or right behide the headlight?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #224
Road Trip!

Quote:

Well he wanted me to change the spark plugs to see if that fixed the issue because I had some crappy champions in there and the gap was set at 60. So I put the new plugs in and it help a little bit.

So I took the flexable hose off that connects from the MAF and runs into the fender to the filter. So I connected my old filter back onto the MAF and placed it right behide the headlight. I know KB recommends not to use under the hood filters but I really dont want to spend another few hundred bucks on something that doesnt make that big of a difference.

So what do you guys think about leaving the filter right behide the headlight so where its pretty much a straigh shot of air that doesnt go into 90 degree bends before it gets to the engine but placing a heat shield over the filter? You really think its going to make a big of a difference between the filter being in the fender or right behide the headlight?
of course it would be better to bet the filter into a location with cooler denser air. but imo thats not your issue. your a/f should be tuned to whatever air you have coming in.

to me it sounds like they gave up because they had some issues they couldnt figure out. which could be why it took so long.

do you have your dyno sheet with your a/f chart?

can you re-explain the exact issues you are having?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #225
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
of course it would be better to bet the filter into a location with cooler denser air. but imo thats not your issue. your a/f should be tuned to whatever air you have coming in.

to me it sounds like they gave up because they had some issues they couldnt figure out. which could be why it took so long.

do you have your dyno sheet with your a/f chart?

can you re-explain the exact issues you are having?
Naw, I dont have the sheets but the issue im having is that a low speeds the car acts like it has a mist ( jumping, some what back firing on decel) but when you get on it at wot they car does fine. No codes are showing up but when i took the flex hose off and places the filter directly on the MAF right behide the headlight the problem seems to go away. But then the tune is off because i changed where the engine is getting air. Look in the picture on the link, the 2nd picture of the flex hose going into the fender is what we think might be causing the air to get turblance or etc before the MAF. '96-'04 Mustang 4.6 2V 2.1L Supercharger
Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #226
Road Trip!

Quote:

Naw, I dont have the sheets but the issue im having is that a low speeds the car acts like it has a mist ( jumping, some what back firing on decel) but when you get on it at wot they car does fine. No codes are showing up but when i took the flex hose off and places the filter directly on the MAF right behide the headlight the problem seems to go away. But then the tune is off because i changed where the engine is getting air. Look in the picture on the link, the 2nd picture of the flex hose going into the fender is what we think might be causing the air to get turblance or etc before the MAF. '96-'04 Mustang 4.6 2V 2.1L Supercharger
i bet you maf needs clocked (roatated). sometimes it needs this done to properly read the air coming in because of turbulence. also is the little screen still inside of it? the screen that is before the maf? this evenly spreads the air to help the maf. if any of these are the problem imo the tuner should readjust the tune for free. i would be careful driving/abusing it if its not running properly. a bad tune is about 90% of all forced induction engine failure.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #227
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i bet you maf needs clocked (roatated). sometimes it needs this done to properly read the air coming in because of turbulence. also is the little screen still inside of it? the screen that is before the maf? this evenly spreads the air to help the maf. if any of these are the problem imo the tuner should readjust the tune for free. i would be careful driving/abusing it if its not running properly. a bad tune is about 90% of all forced induction engine failure.
Ive got it in the same location as I did before the supercharger install and it was running fine then. Far as the little screen there wasnt one before its a aftermarket MAF by SCT. Now, I do have the stock MAF with the screen in it so should I place it in there? He said he would adjust anything I need to fix the problem for free, no issue there. Far as driving it or getting on it I havent done that since the day i picked it up. When I drive it normal I dont get it up to where its producing boost. The flexable hose I had on there is no good now because i didnt see I pulled up in the drive way and ran over it so its done. I have a 90 degree elbow that i can use to mount the filter in the fender but its metal, could that cause a issue with heat? Its onlt the elbow thats metal, the rest is plastic. Or should I just leave the filter hooked up to the MAF and mounted right behide the headlight?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #228
Road Trip!

Quote:

Ive got it in the same location as I did before the supercharger install and it was running fine then. Far as the little screen there wasnt one before its a aftermarket MAF by SCT. Now, I do have the stock MAF with the screen in it so should I place it in there? He said he would adjust anything I need to fix the problem for free, no issue there. Far as driving it or getting on it I havent done that since the day i picked it up. When I drive it normal I dont get it up to where its producing boost. The flexable hose I had on there is no good now because i didnt see I pulled up in the drive way and ran over it so its done. I have a 90 degree elbow that i can use to mount the filter in the fender but its metal, could that cause a issue with heat? Its onlt the elbow thats metal, the rest is plastic. Or should I just leave the filter hooked up to the MAF and mounted right behide the headlight?
im not exactly sure bud? but does you current cai come with the screen when new? and does your stock screen fit in there?

i would definitly fix the hose. and maybe ask the tuner about clocking the maf and the screen? they should be ale to tell if what the maf is doing on there computer i would think. they would probably see if the maf is getting jumpy reading at different rpms.

i also think it would be better to get the filter into a better area, but i dont think its the issue.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #229
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

im not exactly sure bud? but does you current cai come with the screen when new? and does your stock screen fit in there?

i would definitly fix the hose. and maybe ask the tuner about clocking the maf and the screen? they should be ale to tell if what the maf is doing on there computer i would think. they would probably see if the maf is getting jumpy reading at different rpms.

i also think it would be better to get the filter into a better area, but i dont think its the issue.
Naw none of the intakes I've used came with a screen. As far as the flex hose goes its toast and beyond repairable. Think I'm just going to leave the filter where it is for now and place a heat shield over it so where when I'm going down the track and I have my head light out its getting straight air

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

I might go out there and move the maf sensor a directly in the middle at the 12 o clock position.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #230
Road Trip!

Quote:

Naw none of the intakes I've used came with a screen. As far as the flex hose goes its toast and beyond repairable. Think I'm just going to leave the filter where it is for now and place a heat shield over it so where when I'm going down the track and I have my head light out its getting straight air

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

I might go out there and move the maf sensor a directly in the middle at the 12 o clock position.
i am not really experienced with the 4.6 but on the older 302s you can usually leave the bolts loose and rotate it a little at a time until it runs better. you may just want to try a little at a time and then test drive it a bit. then try again until you get the best results. but if the maf isnt in a turbulence area then it wont make a difference. but its easy enough to try.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #231
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Yeah, none of the CAI kits have a MAF screen. Most remove the screen, unless they have troubles right after they removed it. But, I could definitely see where it would be helpful in a boosted engine. The velocity of the air probably changes the circulation path compared to stock.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #232
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yeah, none of the CAI kits have a MAF screen. Most remove the screen, unless they have troubles right after they removed it. But, I could definitely see where it would be helpful in a boosted engine. The velocity of the air probably changes the circulation path compared to stock.
yup.
like i said i dont know that mich about the 4.6s
heres what my air intake looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1629325830.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	72542  
Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #233
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
yeah, but see you would think KB would have know it would have done that and not used a rigided piece of pipe to make a 90 degree turn into the fender where the filter is. Reason I bring this up because when I took that piece off the car acted fine, now I didnt go WOT because I know the tune is a little off because of the change. KB based this kit off of a mainly stock car setup so maybe it works on there, but since I have everything far from stock and more air into the engine other then the S/c maybe that rigid surface in the tube is causing the air velocity to become turbinalent into the MAF causing it to act up. Oh well, im going to stick with the filter behide the headlight with a heat shield over it so where when im at the track and the pass headlight is out it will get good air.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #234
Registered Member
Regular

ok, so I relocated the filter and took that flexable hose out along with I adjusted the MAF so where its straight up and down or degreed it as was said above. I cranked the car and it runs good at idle. When you rev it up to about 2 K -3K the prolly doesnt seem to be there anymore. Now, it does have a slight hesatation but you really have to feel for it. I didnt go over 2800 because i dont want to create that much boost. I built a heat shield over the filter so where it doesnt get heat from the engine. I havent drove the car yet after the changes so do I need to?

So im thinking its all about the tune, it needs to be fine tuned to what I have now anyone agree or have any thoughts?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #235
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
ok, so I relocated the filter and took that flexable hose out along with I adjusted the MAF so where its straight up and down or degreed it as was said above. I cranked the car and it runs good at idle. When you rev it up to about 2 K -3K the prolly doesnt seem to be there anymore. Now, it does have a slight hesatation but you really have to feel for it. I didnt go over 2800 because i dont want to create that much boost. I built a heat shield over the filter so where it doesnt get heat from the engine. I havent drove the car yet after the changes so do I need to?

So im thinking its all about the tune, it needs to be fine tuned to what I have now anyone agree or have any thoughts?
Yup, I think you're right about the tune and your new cold air setup. So this must have changed the airflow across the MAF at idle just enough to smooth it out. Hopefully, they can match or improve your last tune with your current configuration.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #236
Road Trip!

I agree..
Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #237
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yup, I think you're right about the tune and your new cold air setup. So this must have changed the airflow across the MAF at idle just enough to smooth it out. Hopefully, they can match or improve your last tune with your current configuration.
Yea, I mean i have drove the car yet so I dunno what it is going to do under a load. You think i will be ok driving it to the gas station for a test drive without creating boost? I'm sure they can no doubt, just sucks it isnt until Tues that I can bring it to them.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #238
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Yea, I mean i have drove the car yet so I dunno what it is going to do under a load. You think i will be ok driving it to the gas station for a test drive without creating boost? I'm sure they can no doubt, just sucks it isnt until Tues that I can bring it to them.
Serious bummer about having to wait till Tues. IMO, you should be fine going for gas. I would try to go during lower traffic volume time, so you are less likely to have to goose it to avoid an accident.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #239
Road Trip!

Quote:

Serious bummer about having to wait till Tues. IMO, you should be fine going for gas. I would try to go during lower traffic volume time, so you are less likely to have to goose it to avoid an accident.
Yup, if you keep out of the boost you should be ok.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #240
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah I know and the wait sux so bad too cuz I miss driving esp with the charger on. Guess I need to put the boost gauge and pod on this weekend. Man I hope he gets it right this time.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #241
Registered Member
Regular

Got my gauges in I will post a picture soon.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #242
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ForumRunner_20121021_172848.png
Views:	159
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	73062
Old 10-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #243
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Looks good.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #244
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Looks good.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #245
Registered Member
Regular

Another pic of the KB in.

Name:	ForumRunner_20121021_181903.png
Views:	153
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	73071

Homemade heat shield I made

Name:	ForumRunner_20121021_181852.png
Views:	148
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	73070

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT