Gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Gears

Heard about gears and how they help with you mustang performance but I know a little about them

I bought a 96 mustang gt for parts for my 98 mustang gt well the guy I bought the 96 gt from told me it had some gears in it and I forget what type he said they was but the 96 is a 5speed and mine is a 98 automatic

Well I was wanting to know if I can get the gears out the 96 5speed and put it in my 98 automatic?
Vmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Well u really want to know what gears they are first. U have to make sure his differential is the same as urs. Stock I guess. U don't want 4.10 gears in ur auto unless u plan on taking to the drag strip often. I think most likely however, they are 3.73. That's what I have and I'm happy with that. If you do a lot of highway miles, that might not be what u want because u will see a decrease in mpg's, while an increase in low end torque. U also have to look at the length of the gear and weather or not it will fit ur diff.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Thanks for the help buddy

I do want to put gears in my mustang I just wanting to know because the guy told me he had some put in already so I was thinking hell if I have these gears in that mustang why not take them out and see if the work with my mustang instead of having to buy some and already have them in my back yard with that mustang

But I will take them out and see what happens and see if it's what I want

Thanks
Vmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: Gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
Well u really want to know what gears they are first. U have to make sure his differential is the same as urs. Stock I guess. U don't want 4.10 gears in ur auto unless u plan on taking to the drag strip often. I think most likely however, they are 3.73. That's what I have and I'm happy with that. If you do a lot of highway miles, that might not be what u want because u will see a decrease in mpg's, while an increase in low end torque. U also have to look at the length of the gear and weather or not it will fit ur diff.
Most people find that 4.10s are great for Autos and that 3.73s are great for manuals. It also matters on what type of driving you do. If you drive 90% city then you may actually see an increase in mpg, however if you drive mostly highway you will see it drop. And technically you do not gain any torque from gears, you simply are able to accelerate faster due to the gears. And gears from a GT will not fit a V6, so make sure if you are pulling them from another car it is the same model.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
Most people find that 4.10s are great for Autos and that 3.73s are great for manuals. It also matters on what type of driving you do. If you drive 90% city then you may actually see an increase in mpg, however if you drive mostly highway you will see it drop. And technically you do not gain any torque from gears, you simply are able to accelerate faster due to the gears. And gears from a GT will not fit a V6, so make sure if you are pulling them from another car it is the same model.
+1. 4.10 for autos. And 3.73 for manuals. I had 4.10s in my 99 gt manual and it was fine. I saw maybe a 2 mpg loss... It doesn't affect any torque numbers but you will definitely feel it driving. Yeah, i'd go 4.10s. Especially only with 3 gears and an overdrive. Anything else lower would be a waste of money in my opinion.
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmcgrath
Heard about gears and how they help with you mustang performance but I know a little about them

I bought a 96 mustang gt for parts for my 98 mustang gt well the guy I bought the 96 gt from told me it had some gears in it and I forget what type he said they was but the 96 is a 5speed and mine is a 98 automatic

Well I was wanting to know if I can get the gears out the 96 5speed and put it in my 98 automatic?
An easy way to check is to lift the rear end up with the car in neutral, mark the driveshaft with like whiteout and then try to mark a point on the wheel. Rotate the wheel 1 full rotation and count how many times the driveshaft rotates. The driveshaft rotating 3 1/4 times would be 3.27s, 3 3/4 would be 3.73s etc. The GT should have an 8.8 so it would be as simple as unbolting the axle and. Swapping it to your 98.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

An easy way to check is to lift the rear end up with the car in neutral, mark the driveshaft with like whiteout and then try to mark a point on the wheel. Rotate the wheel 1 full rotation and count how many times the driveshaft rotates. The driveshaft rotating 3 1/4 times would be 3.27s, 3 3/4 would be 3.73s etc. The GT should have an 8.8 so it would be as simple as unbolting the axle and. Swapping it to your 98.
Correct. Sorry, i forgot this was the original question.

Should swap in just fine.
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT