Numbers with a kenne bell - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Numbers with a kenne bell

Just wondering what kind of numbers you think I will put down.

teksid block bored .020 over. New arp main studs and side bolts. Line honed and magnafluxed. DSS h beam rods with arp 2000 bolts, 18cc dish pistons with valve reliefs, rings and 8 bolt cobra crank cut .020 under. 1.7 kenne bell with a 16 lb pulley.

The bottom end is already forged and i want to put down some ok numbers but if I'm not going to I want to just sell the SC and upgrade. Let me know what you think
Bret21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
The 1.7 is a small blower. You can run less psi on a better headunit and get better numbers. If you must go KB then get the 2.7 or larger and get it intercooled. If I were you I'd look at a centri blower setup
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What's the best centri blower out there? Procharger? If I go that route I kinda wanna see some big numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret21
What's the best centri blower out there? Procharger? If I go that route I kinda wanna see some big numbers.
For a stock bottom end most of them will be just fine. Procharger has the p1sc and it is a nice smaller blower. I have a vortech v1 s-trim with aftercooler, long tubes, 3.73s and full bolt ons. I dynoed in at 370hp/380tq before the gears were in it and before the pulley swap I did. I'm running a 3.25" pulley and hitting about 9psi now. I will be going to a 3.12 and running 11psi or so with a little more aggressive tune. I beat 3 different corvettes, a 2011 stage 2 Subaru wrx with custom programmer, a 2005 wrx with upgraded bov, electronic boost controller, boost pipe and custom dyno tune, and a BMW 335 xi AWD v6 twin turbo. If you have forged internals then you can go with much larger blowers. The vortech v3 YSi-trim is nice. And the procharger d1 and f1a are huge too
Old 08-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I have forged internals. That's kinda the reason I want to sell this kenne bell. I bought it before I was building my motor and was gonna run on stock internals but before I put it on the motor messed up in my car. So I just wanted to go ahead and forge everything. I thought Why have forged internals when all youre gonna have is 400 hp? Lol. Looks like I'm going with a bigger blower
Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Get a YSi or T-trim from vortech or get a d1 or f1a from procharger. You will smash KB or whipped cobras all day
Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Will I have to upgrade my fuel system with any of those set ups?
Old 08-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yes... Bigger injectors.. I'm thinking around 500 at the wheels

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Good tune also
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby09
Yes... Bigger injectors.. I'm thinking around 500 at the wheels

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Good tune also
You will need at least 60lb injectors and dual cobra pumps with a boost a pump. An f1a procharger at 18psi is like 650 at least on a built 2v
Old 08-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok. I really want to be atleast 500 to the wheels. I don't believe I will ever see that with a little 1.7 kb lol.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yea.. Need a bigger blower
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

What would be a good asking price for the 1.7 kb? It's a complete kit with a brand new intercooler still in the box. The blower only has around 5000 miles or less on it. Where would be the best place to buy a f1a or d1sc?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What would be a good asking price for the 1.7 kb? It's a complete kit with a brand new intercooler still in the box. The blower only has around 5000 miles or less on it. Where would be the best place to buy a f1a or d1sc?
The 1.7 kit could probably go for 3700-4000. You can get a used f1a setup for 5000 or a d1 for 4000 or less on corral.net
Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I'll give you 1k for the blower
Old 08-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You really think I could ask that for it? That would be awesome if I could do that no doubt. I just got a killer deal on it and didn't know what to ask for it
Old 08-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
You really think I could ask that for it? That would be awesome if I could do that no doubt. I just got a killer deal on it and didn't know what to ask for it
You have pics of it? I would be interested in buying it
Old 08-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Text me 2709252775
Old 08-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Re: Numbers with a kenne bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret21 View Post
Text me 2709252775
you're a KY boy... where?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yes sir I sure am. Im about 20 minutes north of bowling green
Old 08-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

gotcha, I'm in Louisville

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I've got a friend with 40 or 60lb injectors, cobra dual pump, coil overs, and a K member and an eboost2 controller if any of you would be interested.
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you are looking for 500 hp you can upgrade to the 2.1 liter kenne bell , but with your set up I would go with the kenne bell 2 .8 liter mammoth set up , there is nothing like instant boost from a twin screw!!! And beside the Shelby 1000 is going to be running a kenne bell , Shelby knows what's best lol!!!!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I'm kinda torn between which to buy. All I really know is I definitely want to upgrade to a bigger blower lol
Old 08-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

All I will say is I've seen races time and time again between supercharged mustangs (and a couple others) and if you take two GTs that have the exact same exact mods and put a KB on one and a centrifugal on the other and run the same boost, the centrifugal is gonna pull the KB. Period. Instant boost is awesome for right off the line, but the moment that centrifugal starts to wind up say goodbye. I personally have raced 2 different KB GTs since I put on my vortech. One was basically stock with the 1.7 KB at 10psi and the other one had full bolt ons, the 2.1 KB intercooled at 10psi, and on a dyno put down 25hp more. I beat them both. The 2.1 jumped me by MAYBE a half a car length off the start from a 20 roll but I made it up and was ahead of him before ever shifting into 3rd (~60mph). Everyone always talks about instant boost but no one ever stops and thinks about a real race. When you race, the moment you get on it is the only time that instant boost helps. In a real race once you take off you will never be below 4000rpms which means the centrifugal are already spun up and into the boost so the so called "advantage" of instant boost is gone. This can be seen on a dyno graph as well. When comparing the 2 a KB will have linear torque curves where a centri will jump keep on climbing. And if you were to compare the two graphs from only say 4000rpms up, you would see that in that rpm band(the spot that matters) the centri blower will make better power and better torque and higher power numbers overall.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson
All I will say is I've seen races time and time again between supercharged mustangs (and a couple others) and if you take two GTs that have the exact same exact mods and put a KB on one and a centrifugal on the other and run the same boost, the centrifugal is gonna pull the KB. Period. Instant boost is awesome for right off the line, but the moment that centrifugal starts to wind up say goodbye. I personally have raced 2 different KB GTs since I put on my vortech. One was basically stock with the 1.7 KB at 10psi and the other one had full bolt ons, the 2.1 KB intercooled at 10psi, and on a dyno put down 25hp more. I beat them both. The 2.1 jumped me by MAYBE a half a car length off the start from a 20 roll but I made it up and was ahead of him before ever shifting into 3rd (~60mph). Everyone always talks about instant boost but no one ever stops and thinks about a real race. When you race, the moment you get on it is the only time that instant boost helps. In a real race once you take off you will never be below 4000rpms which means the centrifugal are already spun up and into the boost so the so called "advantage" of instant boost is gone. This can be seen on a dyno graph as well. When comparing the 2 a KB will have linear torque curves where a centri will jump keep on climbing. And if you were to compare the two graphs from only say 4000rpms up, you would see that in that rpm band(the spot that matters) the centri blower will make better power and better torque and higher power numbers overall.
You said it yourself , instant boost is better off the line and that's where real racing happens , not from a twenty roll , I just can't see you taking a kb 2.1 with full bolt on's and a auto from the line, most of the time in racing its all about the "hole shot"
Old 08-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly if you think that instant boost isnt necessary the you might as well go turbo. Better then a centri in every single way and cheaper as well. Idk what kind of heads you have on your gt but I know with a set of trickflow heads and a kenne bell 2.6h at 18psi you'll put down around 650 rwhp with those 18cc pistons your CR is around 9:1 isn't it. I'm a fan of the KBs but I don't see the point of centri SCs since they are basically a less efficient turbo. I also hate the noise the centri make at idle as well. Just kind of annoying to me.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

That 650 rwhp is with all accompanied mods such as fuel and necessary cams to help with the boost.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
You said it yourself , instant boost is better off the line and that's where real racing happens , not from a twenty roll , I just can't see you taking a kb 2.1 with full bolt on's and a auto from the line, most of the time in racing its all about the "hole shot"
Next time i see him we will get a video. Your right real racing is from a dead stop, but real racing isnt just a launch off the line and run out first gear. And again, even from a dead stop that instant boost is only good for a split second. I can launch my car from 3500 rpms and I am in the boost the moment my foot is off the clutch. Hole shots are nice but you dont win just for having the best 60ft time (yes it helps) but as I said I was around him before I even had to shift to 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut View Post
Honestly if you think that instant boost isnt necessary the you might as well go turbo. Better then a centri in every single way and cheaper as well. Idk what kind of heads you have on your gt but I know with a set of trickflow heads and a kenne bell 2.6h at 18psi you'll put down around 650 rwhp with those 18cc pistons your CR is around 9:1 isn't it. I'm a fan of the KBs but I don't see the point of centri SCs since they are basically a less efficient turbo. I also hate the noise the centri make at idle as well. Just kind of annoying to me.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

That 650 rwhp is with all accompanied mods such as fuel and necessary cams to help with the boost.
As far as the noise it is all personal preference. And I agree that turbo beats centri all day, but there is absolutely NO WAY a turbo is cheaper! And the price is so much more that its easier and more cost effective to just pulley swap my centri and make up the difference in power. A really good Centri setup can be done for $3000. Sure, you can find a decent used turbo kit for no too much more than that if you shop around but then you have to swap all of you front suspension for a tubular setup and you have to change your whole exhaust and you have to fab up all the piping and it is a WAY bigger pain in the ***. In the end, any FI setup will automatically allow you to push you stock block beyond its limits so why not save a little cash and still have a bad ride. With a Forged setup like OP has then you can be more picky due to being able to push things further, but even on high horsepower applications I've seen built Centri GT's beat KB Cobras numerous times
Old 08-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut View Post

sounds to me like you know far more about the functionality and power of a turbo than you do of the side effects and installation/fabrication of a turbo kit, I promise you it isn't all lolipops and gumdrops.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure but that's a one time deal. Installing headers, clutch, cams, heads, rear end, any forced induction isn't easy but it still isn't the reason you don't do it. If you want the power you have to put in the time and elbow grease or pay for it atleast.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

The reason I brought up a turbo was because it was stated that instant boost wasn't necessary so in that instance you might as well just go turbo.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Keep in mind also that the smaller pulley on a centri not only raises boost levels but brings it in quicker. I prefer centri over twin screw all day long and ive had both. Centri cars are easier to tune, drive like stock until in boost, better mpg, and since the boost isnt as instant its much easier to launch. I can launch my car with a centri much better than a twin screw car so i get the jump every time and the pull up top. Centris are cheaper to build and produce far less heat. You can run a centri all day long at WOT an make almost the same power as the first pull. Twin screw drops insane amounts of power after just the first pull even with an intercooled setup. Meth is the only solution and even then it produces high heat and cuts timing. Turbos are a whole different story but in the end just a pain in the *** to make slightly more efficient power amd spend much more to do it right. All of these variables together puts centris at the top of my list for sure
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Have loved Turbochargers for a long time... was big into dsms. I had a front wheel drive. Love the wait for boost to kick in, nothing I mean nothing is better than running your opponent down on the big end.
2000steeda029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01
Keep in mind also that the smaller pulley on a centri not only raises boost levels but brings it in quicker. I prefer centri over twin screw all day long and ive had both. Centri cars are easier to tune, drive like stock until in boost, better mpg, and since the boost isnt as instant its much easier to launch. I can launch my car with a centri much better than a twin screw car so i get the jump every time and the pull up top. Centris are cheaper to build and produce far less heat. You can run a centri all day long at WOT an make almost the same power as the first pull. Twin screw drops insane amounts of power after just the first pull even with an intercooled setup. Meth is the only solution and even then it produces high heat and cuts timing. Turbos are a whole different story but in the end just a pain in the *** to make slightly more efficient power amd spend much more to do it right. All of these variables together puts centris at the top of my list for sure
This x1047362849!!!! Couldn't have said it better
Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I'm a bit scared because I'm going twin-screw just because I have a good deal coming out of it... Cool thing is I won't be putting many miles on my car when/if I do get it finished and running so I can always save up for better units.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:08 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
I'm a bit scared because I'm going twin-screw just because I have a good deal coming out of it... Cool thing is I won't be putting many miles on my car when/if I do get it finished and running so I can always save up for better units.
What makes you scared to go with a twin screw?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

There is no need to be worried. Any FI setup is gonna be fast and fun to drive

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT