02 gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
02 gt

Got a 2002 gt and debating what to do next just lowered it, JLT intake, short shifter, and about to put a SPEC clutch in any other ideas?
Slp_loudmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: 02 gt

I don't see exhaust mods listed there.. Change out your mid-pipe and let it roar! Oh.. And be careful with SPEC clutches. I've not heard a ton of great things about them. I've never used it but just repeating what I've read constantly. They said if you do go SPEC route to buy a FRPP Pilot bearing and TOB.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I for got to put that I have an off road x pipe with Slp loudmouth car one of the loudest around me besides my good friends cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Gears and/or tuner
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just got the gears in today 373's
Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well then. My next path would be cams/intake manifold swap.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
What's your overall plan for the car?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm working on my friends spare cobra motor to drop in it and probably putting a Kenne bell on it
Old 08-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp_loudmouth View Post
Well I'm working on my friends spare cobra motor to drop in it and probably putting a Kenne bell on it
Then I'd definitely work toward gearing your suspension toward that power.. Definitely upgrade upper and lower control arms. Might want to look at some subframes, too.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

Then I'd definitely work toward gearing your suspension toward that power.. Definitely upgrade upper and lower control arms. Might want to look at some subframes, too.
^ this is a good idea , if you do the rear suspension I would also do new quad shocks and a set of drag radials
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

What I'm looking at next is under drive pullys any recommendations
Old 08-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp_loudmouth
If you plan on boosting then don't do it.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Check out steeda or march pulleys
Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

There's been alot of steedas on auction on ebay. I bought some couple weeks ago for $70
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What year motor???
Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

99 cobra with only 35k on it just are rebuilding the internals
Old 08-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
99 cobra with only 35k on it just are rebuilding the internals
Are you using forged internals? I would also try to find a set of "c" heads off a 03-04 cobra they flow a bit better then the "b" heads you have now , if you are doing FI change out your fuel pump, I would go with an avaitior pump with the kenne bell boost a pump set up
Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
99 cobra's came with tumble port C heads. A port matching would be a good start.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad
99 cobra's came with tumble port C heads. A port matching would be a good start.
What is a tumble port "c" heard never heard this term my buddy has a 96 with a 4v swap from an 03 cobra and he told me his 99 had "b" heads

---------- Post added at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360

What is a tumble port "c" heard never heard this term my buddy has a 96 with a 4v swap from an 03 cobra and he told me his 99 had "b" heads
Are there two different types of "c"heads?

---------- Post added at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

Quote:
So I read up on the tumble port c heads so is what makes them different from the 03 is the intake port design???
Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The exhaust design was cleaned up and the port came to more of a square. The intake was also cleaned up in the bowl section. You can achive the same function with porting the 99-01 C heads.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The exhaust design was cleaned up and the port came to more of a square. The intake was also cleaned up in the bowl section. You can achive the same function with porting the 99-01 C heads.
I read there was a cooling issue with the driver side head can you resolve that problem with porting the head also?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
I read there was a cooling issue with the driver side head can you resolve that problem with porting the head also?
it was because the eaton with all its heat and glory. what was happening was that some not all cobras where developing a "Tick". This was because the valve guide moved causing a loose exhaust valve, though drive-ability was not affected the issue down the line could become damaging. The valve guide issue was addressed with new casting. They where replaced on some but not all and can be told by the factory blue strip. People outside of ford came our with the cooling mod. as ford never applied a "fix" for cooling. When I ported my B heads, I also cleaned and de-burred all the oil and coolant supply holes in both heads and block.
So with that all said you would have to source the replacement heads. My personal choice is not to use the Eaton. Instead use a centri supercharger with air to air cooling. I prefer Procharger for ease of maintenance and installation.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
The blue mark was a myth, only way to know is to pull the part number off the head
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
The blue mark was a myth, only way to know is to pull the part number off the head
TSB 03-11-04 Engine - Mustang Cobra - Tick Noise From Engine - Cobra Vehicles Equippe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FORD:
2003 MUSTANG

ISSUE:

Some 2003 Mustang Cobra vehicles with engines built before 11/1/2002 may exhibit an unusual engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. This noise may be due to valve guide wear in the left bank cylinder head. Guide wear manifests itself as a tick noise which can be heard at the rear of LH head, through LH catalyst, at the LH front wheel well and may not be heard with the hood open.
ACTION:

Use the diagnostic procedures listed in this article to evaluate the vehicle condition and replace the cylinder head if applicable. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE:THIS REPLACEMENT CYLINDER HEAD WILL NOT IMPROVE OR REDUCE PERFORMANCE.

In order to diagnose noise, the following items must be checked.
Verify noise by placing a stethoscope on the back of the left head near the exhaust ports.
Verify that the noise is heard in the left side exhaust system (left side wheel well or catalytic converter, from underneath the vehicle).
Try to isolate the noise by canceling the cylinders, by unplugging the injectors one at a time (start with #8 cylinder).
Verify that there are no exhaust manifold leaks.
Check to make sure that the camshaft spacers are in place. If not, install cam spacers (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01C) and retest vehicle.
Check for proper cam sprocket bolt torque, retorque to spec listed in the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C.
Check for spongy lash adjusters (refer to Section 303-00 in the corresponding Workshop Manual).
Verify that the timing chain tensioner pin has been removed. If the above diagnostics does not eliminate the noise while the cylinders are cancelled, and the engine was built prior to 11/1/2002, replace the left side cylinder head and cam assembly with Part Number 3R2Z-6049-GA. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-01C for cylinder head replacement procedures.

PART NUMBERPART NAME3R2Z-6049-GACylinder Head And Cam Assembly - Left - Cobra Only

And those replacement head came with a blue strip.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

it was because the eaton with all its heat and glory. what was happening was that some not all cobras where developing a "Tick". This was because the valve guide moved causing a loose exhaust valve, though drive-ability was not affected the issue down the line could become damaging. The valve guide issue was addressed with new casting. They where replaced on some but not all and can be told by the factory blue strip. People outside of ford came our with the cooling mod. as ford never applied a "fix" for cooling. When I ported my B heads, I also cleaned and de-burred all the oil and coolant supply holes in both heads and block.
So with that all said you would have to source the replacement heads. My personal choice is not to use the Eaton. Instead use a centri supercharger with air to air cooling. I prefer Procharger for ease of maintenance and installation.
Thanks for the info!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

TSB 03-11-04 Engine - Mustang Cobra - Tick Noise From Engine - Cobra Vehicles Equippe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FORD:
2003 MUSTANG

ISSUE:

Some 2003 Mustang Cobra vehicles with engines built before 11/1/2002 may exhibit an unusual engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. This noise may be due to valve guide wear in the left bank cylinder head. Guide wear manifests itself as a tick noise which can be heard at the rear of LH head, through LH catalyst, at the LH front wheel well and may not be heard with the hood open.
ACTION:

Use the diagnostic procedures listed in this article to evaluate the vehicle condition and replace the cylinder head if applicable. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE:THIS REPLACEMENT CYLINDER HEAD WILL NOT IMPROVE OR REDUCE PERFORMANCE.

In order to diagnose noise, the following items must be checked.
Verify noise by placing a stethoscope on the back of the left head near the exhaust ports.
Verify that the noise is heard in the left side exhaust system (left side wheel well or catalytic converter, from underneath the vehicle).
Try to isolate the noise by canceling the cylinders, by unplugging the injectors one at a time (start with #8 cylinder).
Verify that there are no exhaust manifold leaks.
Check to make sure that the camshaft spacers are in place. If not, install cam spacers (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01C) and retest vehicle.
Check for proper cam sprocket bolt torque, retorque to spec listed in the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C.
Check for spongy lash adjusters (refer to Section 303-00 in the corresponding Workshop Manual).
Verify that the timing chain tensioner pin has been removed. If the above diagnostics does not eliminate the noise while the cylinders are cancelled, and the engine was built prior to 11/1/2002, replace the left side cylinder head and cam assembly with Part Number 3R2Z-6049-GA. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-01C for cylinder head replacement procedures.

PART NUMBERPART NAME3R2Z-6049-GACylinder Head And Cam Assembly - Left - Cobra Only

And those replacement head came with a blue strip.
Wrong.
Why don't the instructions say to verify if cylinder head have a blue mark?

Read cobrabob's faq here:
http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_...m#_Toc35092316
Our's:
Old 08-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

so ford is wrong? Funny thing about the internet is you can read anything. But I tend to follow the publications from the company and engineers themselves. Now having worked a short time in a ford dealership can say the blue is real. Now you can order the latest casting thru ford racing. Which has no mark.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
so ford is wrong? Funny thing about the internet is you can read anything. But I tend to follow the publications from the company and engineers themselves. Now having worked a short time in a ford dealership can say the blue is real. Now you can order the latest casting thru ford racing. Which has no mark.
Lol ok... Don't trust the guy with the 03 cobra...i completely understand
Our's:
Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

Lol ok... Don't trust the guy with the 03 cobra...i completely understand
and sont trust the guys that actually work at ford thoe guys don't know. You have yourself a good day.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT