Ford Racing PI Cylinder Heads for 97 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Ford Racing PI Cylinder Heads for 97 GT

Hello folks, just wanted your input on the PI Heads from FR. I can have a pair new for around 1K. Doesn't include gaskets and head bolts, but complete with stock cams etc. I've considered stage 2 cams but not sure yet. Bear in mind I have to finish my rear end rebuild which is another $500, with traction lock kit still not purchased. Then there is the stage 2 clutch still to buy, that runs about $200-300. I can do the clutch my self, also install the C-heads. I can do the rear end myself too except 1 small detail; where to stop tightening on the crush sleeve (3:73). Finally, I am 50% complete on my upgraded fuel system. I have rails, some fittings already along with 24 lb injectors. Going to buy the regulator, lines and rest of fittings soon. From the scheme fuel upgrade will cost another $500.

All that said, towing, tuning, and labor are unknowns.

The FR heads are good for about 44.9 ci with a improved comp ratio of, claimed, 10:1. I already have BBK shorties, and catted x pipe, finished with flow 44s.

Any idea what kind of HP I'll have when I'm done ?

I have a T-45 tranny.

Other upgrades: 70mm TB, UDP, MSD, SCTLW, CAI, I got them already. I am not planning on FI till later.

104K on engine.

Thanks everyone
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

For a input on the crush sleeve problem your supposed to crush it until it requires 26 in lbs of pressure to turn the pinion. This requires an actual needle style inch pound torque wrench. Not to difficult....just make sure you don't go to much cause then your reading the sleeve and starting again.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

If your looking at spending 1k on heads you might as well pick up some port PI heads. Look at Modularheadshop.com in their ugly duckling catagory. I noticed they had overstock of stage 3 ported PI heads with zero things wrong with them and they were roughly 1300. They won't come with a cam unless you opt for the option which is a good deal cause they give you any cam you want from their catalog and degree the cams before shipping them to you. If your possibly going with an upgraded cam anyways you might as well either pull the trigger on them now with the heads or take advantage of that Great deal. Like I said there was NOTHING wrong with the heads just overstocked and they are STAGE 3 so that's a sweet deal and will blow a set of stock pi heads out of the water.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: Ford Racing PI Cylinder Heads for 97 GT

from what ive seen, just a pi swap and stage 2 comp cam, and mild port and polish, and tune will bump our cars up to 280ish so with your other mods your prolly close to 300.
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I appreciate the input so far. I'll also do some more head research as stated above. I plan on fastlane motorsports in my area doing the fine tuning too. Oh yeah my profile is overdue some change in case you read it. I'll post as i progress. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
For a input on the crush sleeve problem your supposed to crush it until it requires 26 in lbs of pressure to turn the pinion. This requires an actual needle style inch pound torque wrench. Not to difficult....just make sure you don't go to much cause then your reading the sleeve and starting again.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

If your looking at spending 1k on heads you might as well pick up some port PI heads. Look at Modularheadshop.com in their ugly duckling catagory. I noticed they had overstock of stage 3 ported PI heads with zero things wrong with them and they were roughly 1300. They won't come with a cam unless you opt for the option which is a good deal cause they give you any cam you want from their catalog and degree the cams before shipping them to you. If your possibly going with an upgraded cam anyways you might as well either pull the trigger on them now with the heads or take advantage of that Great deal. Like I said there was NOTHING wrong with the heads just overstocked and they are STAGE 3 so that's a sweet deal and will blow a set of stock pi heads out of the water.
I have a needle type T-wrench already.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Quote:

Any idea where stage 3 ported heads will put me on fuel usage; DD here. What else will need to upgrade when I step up to stage 3?

I don't want a weekender. Partly why I was going for the FR heads, and stage 2 cams. You know, great for tooling, while competitive. Need a little help clearing this up.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Drivability won't be affected unless you get massive cams. Your just freeing up you motors top end capabilities basically but it's better all around. With stage 2 cams you'll still have great dd ability. Mine has stage 2 comp cams and it's just as easy to drive as with the stocks
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Drivability won't be affected unless you get massive cams. Your just freeing up you motors top end capabilities basically but it's better all around. With stage 2 cams you'll still have great dd ability. Mine has stage 2 comp cams and it's just as easy to drive as with the stocks
Thanks, I'll look into those UDs again. Will I need to forge my internals to use those heads? I still have stick pistons and crank.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
Thanks, I'll look into those UDs again. Will I need to forge my internals to use those heads? I still have stick pistons and crank.
no you dont need forged. i just wouldnt run fi or nitrous with the pi top end cause the compression is so high, till you get forged at least.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor98gt

no you dont need forged. i just wouldnt run fi or nitrous with the pi top end cause the compression is so high, till you get forged at least.
Thanks. I'll give a call

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT

Thanks. I'll give a call
I'll give them a call for pricing.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Hello folks, just picked up stage 2 Spec clutch from fastlane. Also picked up fittings for my new fuel system. Missing a few things, but almost there. Ordering PI Heads tomorrow. Awaiting final pieces for rear end upgrade to 3:73. Sorry, can't do 4:10s. Considering comp cams but they cost a lot. Chewing on it for now.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hello folks, just picked up stage 2 Spec clutch from fastlane. Also picked up fittings for my new fuel system. Missing a few things, but almost there. Ordering PI Heads tomorrow. Awaiting final pieces for rear end upgrade to 3:73. Sorry, can't do 4:10s. Considering comp cams but they cost a lot. Chewing on it for now.
you should get the cams while you have the heads off anyway.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I agree. I'll let you know what I decide.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hi ME friends,
Just started break in process for my SPEC clutch. Heard some chatter but asserted that it was just part of the break in. I installed new aluminum fly wheel, and stage 2 clutch. Next week Tuesday fastlane is doing the rear end rebuild, 100%.

Also, 2004 ford PI heads are in. Waiting on PI intake from fast lane.

Not sure yet what to do bout cam gears and oil pump yet.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

I decided to forego the cams due to costs; cams, springs, the lot. My Vert will still be smoking hit when am done. Gotta save dough for repaint, upholstery, and the such.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Hello ME friends,
I started the FR Head swap last Wednesday, by prepping my engine for removal. Pity, I don't have all the expertise to do everything on my own, so I depend on a very close friend of mine, great master mechanic. He has done nothing but amaze me since I got his hands to touch my 4.6. However, I have run into a few serious problems.
-CAM bolt from the non-PI heads are too large to fit 2004 PI head cams. Ford Racing has been extremely crappy with parts it carries or providing head swap information; dissapointing. Hotline sucks too!
-Looks like valve cover is also not going to fit
-Fastlane has been mooching on building my dang fuel system (i've put hundreds into the build and still dont have a solution-needless to say I am pissed), but overall, they have been a trememdous help, and very advising, just my timeline is tight. I give them a by this time.
-Next FR PI heads came with out gaskets, cam bolts, knock sensor delete plugs for the required change. FR needs to get its act together.
-PI intake arrived without gaskets, or instructions on how to deal with deleted temp sensor; 97s carry 2004 carries only 1.
-If I can't get the cam bolt and the rest, I have to tow the car home, minus engine and park it. Also, I have to figure out how to get the dang engine home.

Totally, dissapointing.

Losing faith here. Any help or advise will be extremely welcome.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Correction: FR PI intake came without gaskets. No instructionsto adapt to 2x coolant temp sensors vs one on 2004.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hi ME friends,
Just started break in process for my SPEC clutch. Heard some chatter but asserted that it was just part of the break in. I installed new aluminum fly wheel, and stage 2 clutch. Next week Tuesday fastlane is doing the rear end rebuild, 100%.

Also, 2004 ford PI heads are in. Waiting on PI intake from fast lane.

Not sure yet what to do bout cam gears and oil pump yet.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

I decided to forego the cams due to costs; cams, springs, the lot. My Vert will still be smoking hit when am done. Gotta save dough for repaint, upholstery, and the such.
did you put the heads on with the motor in the car still? im doing mine in the next couple weeks and dont wanna drop the motor lol
Old 09-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hi Everyone,

Here's an update:
Got my rear end diff and the lot done by Fastlane (FL). They did some really great work. I spent the entire day there with the team. They are a team, no boubts about it! Extrememly courteous too. I can't help but recall my two opportunities to speak with Melvin Skinner, the anchor of the entire team. I was also able to get a side shot at Caleb, his son, the tuning genius of the FL team, but as usual, these folks are on the clock. GT 500s, Roush stock, and more were waiting for their attention. They had no time for a do-it your-selfer-like me talking a simple PI upgrade. That's ok though since it’s my fault for expressing too much of what I can do. Note to self, act dumb next time to get more info. I figured it out and did a setup by laying my heads out for them to see. LOL. If something was wrong they would tell me. So, my PI heads got viewed about 20 times throughout the day. LOL. Melvin is a seemingly soft spoken gentleman with tremendous knowledge in everything Ford Mustang and undoubtedly more. Caleb is a tuner genius, no doubts about it! I watched from a distance as he mastered the tremendous HP of Roush stock mustangs, and beyond, to include fully drag ready racers fully equipped with slicks and the lot. The real kicker that day was watching the tuning of a 97 GT with a 5.4 LTR (stealth) on the tuner (tight engine fit to say the least) in the trusty hands of Caleb. IMPRESSIVE!! I felt like a nag asking cheap questions about a simple PI upgrade. LOL. Hang around long enough and you might get to meet the woman behind the entire FL Team, Mrs. Skinner. I spoke to her at length and did my best to answer every question, from military to whatever. I was left with an impression of a woman with a graceful personality and sense of concern for all, yet very intelligent, and understanding, not to mention, business wise. She made my day at FL. I look forward to revisiting FL with my own tuning challenge and hopefully, Caleb can coax 300 RWHP out of my Mustang. Of course, getting a chat in edgewise with Mrs. Skinner is planned if she is not too busy running the FL team business. If you are ever in North Carolina be sure to visit the Fast Lane Team. They are a great team that will never letIf you are ever in North Carolina be sure to visit the Fast Lane Team. They are a great team who never leads customers wrong when it comes to the Ford Mustang.
Enough about the leadership of FL. No one that enters the facility can forget Taylor. Nothing gets into the work area without Taylor, absolutely nothing! So when I grump and grind about FL, it’s Taylor that I am grumpy about. He has designed my fuel upgrade singlehandedly with just a sketch. Over the weeks I have been working at completing the plan. Taylor, is very, very, knowledgeable of all Mustangs, from Mustang birth to current to say the least. Tapping his knowledge base is tough though. Tough not because he is conservative, but because when he arrives at 8:30AM, its business none stop till he leaves. Hectic to say the least, yet he finds time and patience to deal with a DIY like me. Awesome tech! I sure hope he’s figured out the final puzzle to my fuel system custom upgrade.
Building my dream 1997 Ford Mustang GT Convertible. Quickly becoming a limited Edition, hard to find car.
V/R
Lascelle(LAS97GT)
Old 09-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ok,
Sorry for the distraction, so here goes:

-PI FR heads have a knock sensor port on each head, Need to delete them. Thinking that plugs from old heads (non PI) will close them.
-Valve cover probably won't fit. Failed to test them in the last 2 days I've had the engine pulled from the frame.
- PI intake came without gaskets from FR. dissapointing, especially at almost a grand for the pair.
-PI heads have same cc as trick flow, with a 10:1 comp ratio possible on the Romeo.
-PI intakes have 1 of 2 coolant temps sensors deleted, what do I do with the deleted connector? do I splice it into the single?
-FR Heads and intake came without instructions or anything.
-PI heads cam bolt are smaller than my non-PI heads, so I need 2004 cam bolts. FR and AM don't carry them, what do I do?
-FR hotline is almost useless. will try again tomorrow. Left a message today. doubt they will call back though.
-read that valve cover is different too. Is this true? Havent taken a chance to check. Dumb me.
-awaiting my fuel upgrade sys from Fastlane. spent $100s and still waiting.
-rear end axel splines worn out, ordered Mosers from FL.
-have a friend doing the engine prep, but losing faith slowly. If not done by Friday, I am towing it home, engine and all.
-Question: can I sto an engine without oil on its side? Looks like I will have to. I could go to Lowes and get some some 8x8s though.
-overall, losing a lot of faith.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, things are looking up: FL tapped a port into my PI intake manifold for my coolant sensor. Melvin knew exactly what size to tap, took It back to the shop, it was an exact fit.

Next, new PI heads come with ports already tapped for the extra sensor that 94-97 GT have. They are blind taps, ignore them. Not recommended since it sends cylinder temp instead of coolant, tapping is best bet.

Next, the water pump feed pipe had to be modified (cutting a 1/4") to reroute the flow of coolant. PI intake are larger and deeper.

The tube leading to the heater will have to be modified, but that will be done after engine is in.

Ahead, strut tower brace my well interfere with TB air intake pipes, more mods on the way.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut View Post
+1 one, I ran the mild stree cam from comp on stock heads and springs and it open the car up. i didnt even get it tuned but if I have changed the springs and tuned i think i would have seen alot better increases then i did.

I have a stock Pi head heater tube that runs in the V of the block if you want it? Far as the strut tower brace, I think you will be ok with future mods and it not getting in the way. If you had a cobra I would say way wait on it cuz its close when you have to jack the motor up for LT's.

I sent you a message about the injectors but it seems like you are on the right track, if you need anything dealing with the PI heads or such let me know cuz I might have it.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor98gt View Post
did you put the heads on with the motor in the car still? im doing mine in the next couple weeks and dont wanna drop the motor lol
You can do it in the car but its a pain. You can try and jack the engine up one side to get some clearance to put the heads on. On the driver side remove the brake booster and it gives you alot of room.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Hi folks,

S-Stang, got
Your email and responded this morning.

Note: I have special privilege which allows me use of air tools, and a lift (military MWR). So I pulled my entire engine out the bottom, tranny and all. I have Eibach pro springs (heavy vert) so bolting k-member without engine weight was a *****.

What's done:
Tapped coolant sensor into PI intake (at FL). FR said that blind threaded hole on head was for the deleted coolant fitting but I think they got it wrong. Modified water pump pipe, and the flow tubing. Referenced: MN12 mods. Issue. The new outlet is now llocated behind the pass head, not sure of hose routing. I'll mod it till get the right fit.

Cams: will keep the production cams for now due to costs and time. I need the car back up, since its my dd.

What I learned: over the life of the NPI heads, the gasket on one head seemed to have leaked some compression over to other cylinder, but not bad. Valve seals were showing wear. Piston tops showed heavy carbon buildup caused by bad fuels. Block was immaculate (Romeo iron block). Overall, heads are fine. No damage or warp.
Rear crank main seal. Learned never to gouge out seal, take the whole plate off! Gouge the crank and no gasket/seal will fix it without mild machining/ new crank (previous owners gouged the crank).
Use all 8 bolts on exhaust headers, I cheated earlier on my BBKs. Fixed it though.
New head bolts need to be OEM. Don't go cheap.

Still hunting two pieces for my fuel system.

Will update you later.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #21
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Good updates and glad your making progress!

I was wondering why you deleted your knock sensors? Are they not comparable with your PCM?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Good updates and glad your making progress!

I was wondering why you deleted your knock sensors? Are they not comparable with your PCM?
No, 97s have 1. No more. The heads have blind ports I can't use. So the stay open, but I might plug them up. BTW, with my setup, I hope I hit high numbers between 250 & 300 at the wheels. Won't say till fast lane is done. Also, did you read my post on fast lane? Awesome folks, awesome. My observations of quality work is nothing below excellent. Oh yeah, they are aware of my post on them. Especially Taylor.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No, 97s have 1. No more. The heads have blind ports I can't use. So the stay open, but I might plug them up. BTW, with my setup, I hope I hit high numbers between 250 & 300 at the wheels. Won't say till fast lane is done. Also, did you read my post on fast lane? Awesome folks, awesome. My observations of quality work is nothing below excellent. Oh yeah, they are aware of my post on them. Especially Taylor.
Remember this is an upgrade. Trick I hope is the pistons and upgraded ability to evac spent gasses while having trick flow style compression ratios ;43.9 cc (TFs are 44 cc). Larger TB, and intake are a plus to fill PI intake.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Ok, things are looking up: FL tapped a port into my PI intake manifold for my coolant sensor. Melvin knew exactly what size to tap, took It back to the shop, it was an exact fit.

Next, new PI heads come with ports already tapped for the extra sensor that 94-97 GT have. They are blind taps, ignore them. Not recommended since it sends cylinder temp instead of coolant, tapping is best bet.

Next, the water pump feed pipe had to be modified (cutting a 1/4") to reroute the flow of coolant. PI intake are larger and deeper.

The tube leading to the heater will have to be modified, but that will be done after engine is in.

Ahead, strut tower brace my well interfere with TB air intake pipes, more mods on the way.
Correction:

Next, new PI heads come with ports already tapped for the extra sensor that 99-2004 GT have. They are blind taps, ignore them (according to FR). Not recommended since it sends cylinder temp instead of coolant, tapping is best bet.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Got one last piece to adapt my OEM return line to the stock quick disconnect try JEGS. The pressure line came from aero motive. I am running 8AN lines with a factory 6AN return. And 88 plus fuel regulator to boot.
Will install when engine is installed tomorrow, hopefully

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

I'd post pics but the best pics are when job is done. Oh, my pics go to iCloud an I can't figure out how to stop it, new phone, long story.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Update: still reassembling engine. Playing some minor "where the dang bolt go games, but licked it. Took a quick run to Competition Auto today. Awesome collection of aero motive fittings the have. Carl came out to meet me, shook hands. Awesome individual, quiet, but hard working. His handiwork speaks bundles with that orange monster he built in his GT 500; true capability is yet undetermined. Carl is not much different from you, and I except like all tuning geniuses, his time is valuable. No favors. Wanna get done yourself? Feel the pain; he is a tough mild mannered instructor. Wanna play with the. It boys? Get wise and feel the pain. I felt the pain today. He was right too. So, next time I show I'll be ready.

While there I couldn't help but notice the Lamborghini in the bay area. Yes, Carl tunes anything, not just Mustangs!

Make no mistake, the power of the automotive enthusiasm takes growth in many of us. For some, it morphs into Carl, an automotive genius. Everyone else is second!

Like any reputable tuner shop he is still building his team. Great folks.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Sorry so long to respond. Yup, I did see your update including Fast Lane. They do sound top notch. Sounds like they handle customers well to, keeping them informed and including them in the build.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, done blah'ing!
Filled up with Mobil 1 Syntech 5/20 from napa. Antifreeze, yellow from napa. Mated custom heater hose from napa. Reconfigured
Fuel lines. Will cut braided lines in morning at comp auto. They will barge me for the process; benson is too far away and will reduce my at time. If I followed my heart, I'd go to benson; 70 mins away!

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

I want my car up by sunday. Hot trotting, ready for the Moser axels and a coveted tune by none other than Caleb on Monday. Some things in the automotive tuning world never get said-I plead the 5th. Today Caleb sent me a personalized tune to get me to his Dyno. Trick, Melvin already prepped me for the travel. Folks, I am quickly dropping off the DIY scale into the world of Mustangs anne fast Fords.

More to follow (MTF).

Las97GT

---------- Post added 09-15-2012 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-14-2012 at 11:42 PM ----------

Quote:

Sorry so long to respond. Yup, I did see your update including Fast Lane. They do sound top notch. Sounds like they handle customers well to, keeping them informed and including them in the build.
They do keep the budgeted guy in mind. At least, they will now after they met me. No self glory, but it's my money.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Visited com auto this morning ready for my braided hose cuts, all marked to standard. #6 lines are hard to fit till you figure it out. Had to use a vice to keep pressure on the hose as it threads the fitting. #8 is easy.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

What's left:
-Re route fuel return line 15 mins
-pressurize and test fittings 10 mins
-bleed steering 1 hr
-install exhaust 30 mins
-buy temp vacuum tube for pressure regulator
-install CAI/ MAF 30 mins
-if fuel lines pass leak test reprogram ECU 10 mins
-fire up engine
Old 09-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Almost go time. H-2.5
Old 09-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Well folks, I am now the proud owner of a 1997 GT VERT with PI heads. I can feel the power. Great retirement gift to myself. I am happy, totally exhilarated!

What was done in last month:
-spec clutch
-spec aluminum fly wheel
-3:73 rear with hydro carbon t- lock 8.8 diff
-shelby racing diff cover
-PI ford stock heads and cams
-UPR fuel rails (no more gasoline smell from the stock rails.
-Aero motive fuel fittings and steel braided hoses. All running AN 8. Courtesy of Taylor at FL (he knows enthusiasts do he prepped me for bigger early at same cost of smaller less potent equipment). Sorry if I go on but I do appreciate good, honest business. FL has that and more.
-Aero motive dual purpose regulator with meter. It handles fuel injection and carb systems. It was miniature in size capable of 80 LPH. Courtesy of FL, and Taylor. Paid used price on it.
-PI air intake now paired with mt Edelbrock/BBK TB, and steed CAI.
-Spec lightweight fly wheel balances well with my Steeda UDPs. I think.
-replaced power steering pump yet again at autozone (warranty). Can't go wrong with that.
-24 lb EV6 injectors, re-manned and flow tested. Look new. Something like that.

Pending:
-replacing worn 14 yr old axels with Mosers. I have them already. Moser builds your axels from scratch when you order them. Moreover, they can handle slicks.
-Custom tune to work out bugs.
-minor relocation of fuel regulator. Will have FL do the work.

What I'm worried about:
- I may have over compensated for my drive shaft.
-engine shakes car at 560 idle. Can't be engine mounts, they are about 10 months old. Suspension is energy bushing 100%, struts, shocks, springs are Eibach pro. Any ideas folks?
-engine shake is gentle at idle though. When I start the car, I can feel the exhaust rushing through the exhaust under my seat. Lol, I built a Mini monster. Also, I am sure I can burn rubber easily, but prefer to wait till I finish breaking in the clutch and protect my investment. Over, the 97 GT reacts well to boltons from CAI to tail pipe.

Thanks for hanging in there and reading this far. See you in the forums!

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Oh, I almost forgot. Did the PI head swaps self along with a buddy of mine.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I don't remember what cams you have? If it was kinda aggressive, I would think that would make your car shake at idle, especially that low of idle.

You know, I never thought of UDP being together with a light weight flywheel. That, along with an aluminum drive would be great for rotating mass weight reduction. Awesome updates bro!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't remember what cams you have? If it was kinda aggressive, I would think that would make your car shake at idle, especially that low of idle.

You know, I never thought of UDP being together with a light weight flywheel. That, along with an aluminum drive would be great for rotating mass weight reduction. Awesome updates bro!
Hi AZ, naw they are stock 2004 heads and cams to boot.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Quote:

Az, just following through, stock cams. I do have a custom tune be Caleb-FL. The tune was no more than to enable 25lb inj. Will fine tyne, and inspect everything tomorrow. I'll keep u posted bro. Btw, comp auto also helped me out (Carl the owner), he is into DIYs that really do their own work, like me.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Ok folks, the verdict is in from the dyno:
Specs:
-1997 Ford Mustang GT Convertible.
-SOHC 2004 Ford Mustang GT PI production heads (new). 49.3 cci increasing comp to 10:1.
-Cams, stock PI.
-Engine block, Stock Romeo. Includes OEM pistons. Piston walls still has OEM hash marks on them.
-Intake, stock OEM PI 2004.
-TB, Edelbrock/BBK.
-Steeda UDPs
-SPEC lightweight flywheel.

Putting the power to the rubber:
-SPEC clutch stage II. 500mi break in done.
-T45 tranny with royal purple blood.
-OEM drive shaft; rusty to the bone.
-Ford racing differential gears complete rebuild with 3:73s gears and carbon fiber traction lock disks to transmit power to both wheels evenly.
-Axels, replaced stock 14 yr olds, worn out splined with Mosers.

Wheels and rubber:
-Nitto T555, 285s, nough said, wrapped around a pair of 95 style Bullit 18 inchers.

Where I started:
-Dyno with stock heads with about 90k on them, and SCT can tune was 185 RWHP.

Result:
New dyno with custom tune from Fastlane Mortorsports 289 RWHP. 93 Octane pump gas.

Ok folks, so I don't have deep pockets, but I fell in love with my car, hence the sacrifice. I like the 94-98 SN 95 body style. Since it was built on the same chassis as the Fox body, that meant it was shorter. Bumper material just makes it look longer. Strip it all off, and you have a Fox. Moreover, it was a very,very low production year which makes it more coveted. I see moth balls already if you get my drift.

Ok, gabbing aside, asked Caleb for one las test; burn out. I wanted to see my car in action from a trusty, experienced racer. He lit them up!!! It was a sight to see! Both wheels burning $250 nitto rubber. He did it within 2 to 5 feet, and held it for about 10, or 15 feet...I don't know, don't care. I was freaking happy. I now know what my Vert can do.

Looking ahead:
Now I know where I'm at with my NA, I have to figure out how to cool/shield my intake manifold, and change atmospheric temperatures of the air entering my filter. Currently researching. I want to hit that yet elusive 300 RWHP for SOHC, 2 valve, NA, while keeping ram air capability under the hood. Unlike the Mach 1.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yeah, I added a UPR fuel rails backed up With aero motive fittings and metered regulator to boot. Tired of that damn fuel smell in the cabin and sniffing fuel lines for leaks. Stock pump is pushing 40 psi. Will upgrade in future.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Looks like you hot deep pockets to me lol, nice lol rite up on your car I really like it... I really respect you for sending me a private message to see about you car... I still yet to compression test and fuel test mine for the n2o that I wanna put on mine... Thanks man...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, good job man and your making 289 RWHP compared to what it was without PI heads? Dang, i didnt know that made a difference like that so I guess when i had mind CNC ported and polished I say a nice gain. Im hoping with those heads and FI it really goes up but I guess i will have to wait until thurs. Nice car bro and I bet you were glad to see that smoke and money going up with the tire burning lol. JK
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT