Best way to lower my car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Best way to lower my car

do i get a lowering kit and shocks/struts or something like eibach pro kit will give the results. i want the car lowered about 1.5 to maybe 2". but im looking to improve the ride and handling. the car rides like a 10 year old car the has been sitting for a while. im trying to put some life back in her. and i plan on going with 18x9/18x10 after the suspension is done. please help!
02 360R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
What sort of handling are you looking for? Maxed out roadcourse style or just improved handling? I personally like H&R springs, I'm running their race springs. If you want the springs for a more comfortable ride while still handling better than stock then I would look at the H&R Super Sport springs.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Best way to lower my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
What sort of handling are you looking for? Maxed out roadcourse style or just improved handling? I personally like H&R springs, I'm running their race springs. If you want the springs for a more comfortable ride while still handling better than stock then I would look at the H&R Super Sport springs.
+1 I run H&R Super sports. They are a progressive rate spring, not fixed rate. So they mimic more of a sweet factory ride, but as the cornering gets harder and harder it hits a rate that mimics a race spring. Pretty much a best of both worlds thing except the only problem: It changes rates while cornering so the cornering of the car may be a bit jerky and unpredictable.

H&R SS springs also drop roughly 1.5"rear and about 1.9" front. I also swapped to Steed X2 Balljoints, Steeda Bumpsteer, MM C/C plates, and Tokico D-spec shocks/struts when I lowered it.

It will be important to replace your shocks/struts as quickly as possible after swapping lowering springs because your factory pieces will be maxed out.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm looking for a better ride and improved handling. Not necessarily looking to build a race car, but I want the support whenever I decide to occasionally stretch her out. And I'm looking for that aggressive stance of a muscle car-like ours!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you want to improve handling fine, ride quality fine, but you really cant do both.

You want a stiff progressive rate spring, linear wont work as good for what ride quality you can maintain. Also you want a 600+ top rate on a progressive rate spring front and 280+ rear~

mine are 720 front for example (H&R Race) which I highly recommend!

get a strut/shock valved to match and you will also need caster/camber plates (I HIGHLY recommend maximum motorsport 4 bolt CC plates, very top notch quality and work GREAT and look GREAT)

the H&R race gives about 1.75-2.00 inch drop (my front ground to fender is 26.0 inches rear is 26.5 for example... but you can run a poly spring isolator to raise it up a bit if thats to low vs the OEM rubber isolators that dont raise it as much back up.

if you want to perhaps up the handling a little bit and maintain good or better ride quality then get a progressive rate spring around the stock rate which is probably in the 400s. Eibach is good about that, they seem to offer many springs that have a softer ride but dont really help handling as much. That might be the sweet spot you are looking for.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
if you want to improve handling fine, ride quality fine, but you really cant do both.

You want a stiff progressive rate spring, linear wont work as good for what ride quality you can maintain. Also you want a 600+ top rate on a progressive rate spring front and 280+ rear~

mine are 720 front for example (H&R Race) which I highly recommend!

get a strut/shock valved to match and you will also need caster/camber plates (I HIGHLY recommend maximum motorsport 4 bolt CC plates, very top notch quality and work GREAT and look GREAT)

the H&R race gives about 1.75-2.00 inch drop (my front ground to fender is 26.0 inches rear is 26.5 for example... but you can run a poly spring isolator to raise it up a bit if thats to low vs the OEM rubber isolators that dont raise it as much back up.

if you want to perhaps up the handling a little bit and maintain good or better ride quality then get a progressive rate spring around the stock rate which is probably in the 400s. Eibach is good about that, they seem to offer many springs that have a softer ride but dont really help handling as much. That might be the sweet spot you are looking for.
I know I wont have the ride of a 4 door sedan, but anything has to be better than a red metal radio flyer wagon!!! I guess it's handling is ranked higher than ride quality for me. The suspension on my xp will cure some of this. Lol. So with that said, eibach or h&r?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

its more about the rate than anyway.

find out the rates you have stock (if its a 360R I have no idea what they put on it). If its OEM GT rates its a linear spring thats probably 420 front and 250 rear or so~ give or take.

H&R Super Sports, H&R Race, or some form of Eibach~ find the one that is about a 400ish rate spring (progressive get stiffer as you compress them so normal ride will be softer than the max rate due to their design)

Most seem to say eibach offer a near stock like rate (ride quality) and they lower the car a bit (1.5 inches is the least I would lower it under stock)

Measure your car if its at stock ride height it will be about 28.25 inches from ground to fender front/rear (give or take)
Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 360R View Post
I know I wont have the ride of a 4 door sedan, but anything has to be better than a red metal radio flyer wagon!!! I guess it's handling is ranked higher than ride quality for me. The suspension on my xp will cure some of this. Lol. So with that said, eibach or h&r?
I've never tried Eibach, but have heard mixed reviews. I opted for H&R and can only say good things and have only heard good things. Whichever choice you go with be sure that they are both great brands.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

H&R supersport are softer but lower the car more~ however as said the right spring isolators (poly thicker ones) offset the extra drop you may not want. 1.5 inches is fine, start to approach 2 inches you start to run into issues.

If you go more than an inch and you probably will get some new sway bar end links, they are cheap (get ones for lowred cars I know maximum motorsports has some the are just a different length since pushing up the A Arm in a lowered car raises the sway bar ends so this resets that). This is not a MUST just something to look at, wont hurt really not doing it either.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
its more about the rate than anyway.

find out the rates you have stock (if its a 360R I have no idea what they put on it). If its OEM GT rates its a linear spring thats probably 420 front and 250 rear or so~ give or take.

H&R Super Sports, H&R Race, or some form of Eibach~ find the one that is about a 400ish rate spring (progressive get stiffer as you compress them so normal ride will be softer than the max rate due to their design)

Most seem to say eibach offer a near stock like rate (ride quality) and they lower the car a bit (1.5 inches is the least I would lower it under stock)

Measure your car if its at stock ride height it will be about 28.25 inches from ground to fender front/rear (give or take)
Okay. Understood. Measurements will not be accurate because the original wheels were lost along the way. But I can guesstimate about what is should after I measure it. Also, can i control the distance lowered?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The measurements are 28.25 front/28.6 rear. The shocks/struts have been replaced. There are some Auto Zone or Walmart brand parts on there. Nothing to withstand that type power for an extended period of time.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

This is what should be on the car. Along with a stabilizer bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1208231908.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	64232  
Old 08-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

about the only control on height you get with lowering springs if to buy thicker isolators to raise it up a bit if its to low for you.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I found that the 02 360R came with MacPherson struts on the front and GT Quadra-Shock variable...??? on the rear. Instead of the 18x9/18x10, I think I will go with 17x8/17x10.5.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Quote:
about the only control on height you get with lowering springs if to buy thicker isolators to raise it up a bit if its to low for you.
Thanks. I often wondered about that.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 360R
do i get a lowering kit and shocks/struts or something like eibach pro kit will give the results. i want the car lowered about 1.5 to maybe 2". but im looking to improve the ride and handling. the car rides like a 10 year old car the has been sitting for a while. im trying to put some life back in her. and i plan on going with 18x9/18x10 after the suspension is done. please help!
cut your springs..
Or buy lowering springs
And finally get coil overs if your rich
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'd never recommend cutting springs.. Buy lowered springs or don't do it at all of you can't afford it. Cutting springs cause them to become weak and crack :/
CrookedHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
I had Eibachs on my camaro which were progressive rate. They gave my car a nice stance but I hated the way the progressive springs changed attitude mid corner. I now have H&R race springs with polyurethane isolators and camber bolts. The linear rate race springs are much more predictable when driven hard, and if you plan on autocrossing or doing tack days I would highly recommend a race spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-363184357.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	732.7 KB
ID:	64351  
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I've decided to change everything. Getting a lowering kit, new struts/shocks, sway bars, bushings, cc plates and a fresh set of wheels. If there is anything else that is vital to the success of this project, please chime in. Thanks for everyone's advise. I really appreciate it.

Wifey is making me open a new account that's just for mustang play! And she's not contributing!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedHalos
I'd never recommend cutting springs.. Buy lowered springs or don't do it at all of you can't afford it. Cutting springs cause them to become weak and crack :/
Ive never heard of any bad things about cutting springs unless yur a rookie and dont know to properly cut them right.
Now heating your springs is a bad bad bad to do

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 360R
I've decided to change everything. Getting a lowering kit, new struts/shocks, sway bars, bushings, cc plates and a fresh set of wheels. If there is anything else that is vital to the success of this project, please chime in. Thanks for everyone's advise. I really appreciate it.

Wifey is making me open a new account that's just for mustang play! And she's not contributing!
Must be fkkn nice !
Congrats and dont forget to post pics
Old 08-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I only say it because I had a Celica once and had a shop cut them who claimed to do it all the time. They heated them up and cut. But they cooled unevenly and started to crack after a few months and the ride was horrible. Bought proper lowering springs and the difference was night and day with the same drop in height. That's my reason for not ever cutting springs again
CrookedHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedHalos
I only say it because I had a Celica once and had a shop cut them who claimed to do it all the time. They heated them up and cut. But they cooled unevenly and started to crack after a few months and the ride was horrible. Bought proper lowering springs and the difference was night and day with the same drop in height. That's my reason for not ever cutting springs again
Lol yeah heating is horrible
My buddys were heated and we jacked his car up and you.could littrally move the spring up and down while.it was in the air.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow2V

Must be fkkn nice !
Congrats and dont forget to post pics
I will definitely post pics! She bought me the car last month for my birthday and today is her birthday so I'm giving her anything she asks for today!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT