new gauges for my stang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
new gauges for my stang

ok so heres the deal, theres a guy on local craigslist selling 3 speedometers, and one of them caught my attention. my the lights on my speedometer are not currently working so i was thinking about replacing the whole thing. the gauges i liked have custom gauges from ebay, and the guy is telling me i will need to program my computer when i install them in order for the car to start. so my question is....... is it cheaper just to repair mine?, do i really need a tune to replace them? or its a simple process where i can just replace them without a tune.?

any help is appreciated , thanks

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

heres the address to the post, the ones im looking to install are the silver gauges

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/pts/3213047016.html
bluekswiss_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Idk why he says you would have to tune anything. It should be a direct replacement and plug right into your car. If he is saying you need to flash your car due to mileage that is false. The cars ECM stores mileage, not the gauge cluster itself.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

so you think plug and play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to johnofarch14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel
Idk why he says you would have to tune anything. It should be a direct replacement and plug right into your car. If he is saying you need to flash your car due to mileage that is false. The cars ECM stores mileage, not the gauge cluster itself.
+100
Old 08-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: new gauges for my stang

i say it's just silver slips over the stock gauges...just unbolt the plastic cover and pull the slips...put on your current cluster...no need to worry about swapping the entire thing
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekswiss_04
ok so heres the deal, theres a guy on local craigslist selling 3 speedometers, and one of them caught my attention. my the lights on my speedometer are not currently working so i was thinking about replacing the whole thing. the gauges i liked have custom gauges from ebay, and the guy is telling me i will need to program my computer when i install them in order for the car to start. so my question is....... is it cheaper just to repair mine?, do i really need a tune to replace them? or its a simple process where i can just replace them without a tune.?

any help is appreciated , thanks

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

heres the address to the post, the ones im looking to install are the silver gauges

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/pts/3213047016.html

You cant just swap a cluster in yours.. Your PATS wont allow it unless you have a tuner
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

^ + 1 Yeah that thing is VIN specific and will need some stuff done.with Odometer laws oh yeah Vin specific.For no more than he wants you could buy the one for your model and rob parts to see if you can fix yours.May be able to get it for less than he is asking too

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

Chris white can flash it to make it work for ya probably. No sct type sh*t gonna do it.You need a 8000.00 scan tool.I would just try correcting yours with stuff off the one you want.Offer him less with the headache involved.Nobody is knocking his door down to buy them you can bet that
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

You can replace your light bulbs n half hour. Pick any color u want and wont have to worry is it going to work or not.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

thats what i aas thinking, just replace the bulbs on mine. my car is a bullit and i dont really want to take off my original gauges. is it hard to replace the bulbs?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Hell no. Take bout hour taking your time. I got the slip on white guages and white leds and it turned out pretty good. You mite want to replace your heater lights too. Its easy too.

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Yours will have a green tint. You can sand it off. Mine was blue so I got white and it shines blue. There's lots off write ups. Just Google it.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT