Looking to upgrade 96 gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Mitchel3408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 18
Looking to upgrade 96 gt

I was wondering what the best way to make my 96 gt faster, on a budget so nothing to fancy. Car has minor mods already, pi intake manifold, electric fan, and wider back tires. Any ideas what I should start with??
Mitchel3408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
BA68 mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 331
Longtube headers
BA68 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Gears are always a good bang for the buck.if you have the time and knowledge, I would suggest finishing off the PI swap
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Registered User
Newbie
 
Mitchel3408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF
Gears are always a good bang for the buck.if you have the time and knowledge, I would suggest finishing off the PI swap
Ok, I'm mechanically inclined but I would have to learn more about the pi swap to do it. Would it be better to buy new heads online or try to find some used ones from a 99-03 gt?
Mitchel3408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchel3408

Ok, I'm mechanically inclined but I would have to learn more about the pi swap to do it. Would it be better to buy new heads online or try to find some used ones from a 99-03 gt?
If you have the cash then I would upgrade to Trick Flow heads but for the money PI heads are a great swap for the NPI engines. I've seen PI heads on craigslist for as cheap as $400 for the pair.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Registered User
Newbie
 
Mitchel3408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

If you have the cash then I would upgrade to Trick Flow heads but for the money PI heads are a great swap for the NPI engines. I've seen PI heads on craigslist for as cheap as $400 for the pair.
What do I need to look for on the pi heads before you buy them to make sure there all good?
Mitchel3408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchel3408

What do I need to look for on the pi heads before you buy them to make sure there all good?
I'm knot quite sure. I would look in the combustion chamber for nicks and scratches. But other than that I'm not sure what to recommend looking for.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
infamous281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchel3408
I was wondering what the best way to make my 96 gt faster, on a budget so nothing to fancy. Car has minor mods already, pi intake manifold, electric fan, and wider back tires. Any ideas what I should start with??

PI heads are gnna be a waste of time

Just do Gears/Cams/Full Exhaust
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow2V

PI heads are gnna be a waste of time

Just do Gears/Cams/Full Exhaust
Why do you say that?
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
Registered User
Newbie
 
Mitchel3408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow2V

PI heads are gnna be a waste of time

Just do Gears/Cams/Full Exhaust
Why would they be a waste? Wouldn't I need to upgrade the air intake and full injectors to get power out of the cams? Or would the be fine with out it?
Mitchel3408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
infamous281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Why do you say that?
Heard of ppl making way.more power by just adding cams

And if your gnna do all that work might aswell get some high flowing badass heads in there.
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
Registered User
Newbie
 
Mitchel3408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow2V

Heard of ppl making way.more power by just adding cams

And if your gnna do all that work might aswell get some high flowing badass heads in there.
Oh gotcha, what gears would you use after changing the cam?
Mitchel3408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow2V

Heard of ppl making way.more power by just adding cams

And if your gnna do all that work might aswell get some high flowing badass heads in there.
Cams won't net you the same power that swapping the PI heads will, but swapping cams on he PI heads wouldn't be a bad idea while you're at it.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
infamous281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchel3408

Oh gotcha, what gears would you use after changing the cam?
373 are perfect

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Cams won't net you the same power that swapping the PI heads will, but swapping cams on he PI heads wouldn't be a bad idea while you're at it.
Research it !
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #15
Registered User
Newbie
 
Mitchel3408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Cams won't net you the same power that swapping the PI heads will, but swapping cams on he PI heads wouldn't be a bad idea while you're at it.
Alright, how much horse power would the pi head gain me? 40ish?
Mitchel3408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchel3408

Alright, how much horse power would the pi head gain me? 40ish?
Yeah. The full PI swap should put you at 270ish at the crank.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mezmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Kansas
Posts: 230
Re: Looking to upgrade 96 gt

But if he's going to do cams why not go PI?
__________________
2004 Mustang Mach 1 - SY
Exhaust - Wanna be Flomasters...
JLT Ram Air Intake
SR Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mezmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #18
Registered User
Newbie
 
Mitchel3408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Yeah. The full PI swap should put you at 270ish at the crank.
Ight cool thanks man
Mitchel3408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
No problem. Here's a good read from another forum http://www.sn95mustangs.com/index.ph...bout-NPI-vs-PI
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #20
Registered User
Newbie
 
Mitchel3408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF
No problem. Here's a good read from another forum http://www.sn95mustangs.com/index.ph...bout-NPI-vs-PI
Cool ill check it out!
Mitchel3408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
taylor98gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 648
Just look on cl and find some pi heads, get stage 2 cams and out in them and you'll notice a hell of a difference.
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:43 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.