Oil advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Oil advice

I have a 00 Gt with a stroker kit, stage three cams with behives springs and Trick flow heads, its not stock in other words. You hear valve train noise on the first start up of the day but it goes way after 5 mins of driving. It only does it either on first start of the day like when it sits long enough for the oil to fully drain into the pan. I want to say im running 5w-20(30) oil in now. Ya think 10w-30 or 40 would fix this or should I go up to 15w? I know these are CT engines so i dont want to go too thick or I would be doing more harm then good or should I? ...whats yalls advice?
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Oil advice

You probably dont want to change the first number ,,with the tight tolerances you want the oil to get there quick as possible,,the camshaft are the last to get the oil on the 4.6 and 5.4..I heard that to change to 5w30 instead of 5w20,,There was a group of state troopers in crown vics,,haveing engine failure during high revs while chasing,,and changing to 5w30 seemed to solve most of the problems..Of course thats a controversary subject ,,so i would do some research and see what u come up with

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
You probably dont want to change the first number ,,with the tight tolerances you want the oil to get there quick as possible,,the camshaft are the last to get the oil on the 4.6 and 5.4..I heard that to change to 5w30 instead of 5w20,,There was a group of state troopers in crown vics,,haveing engine failure during high revs while chasing,,and changing to 5w30 seemed to solve most of the problems..Of course thats a controversary subject ,,so i would do some research and see what u come up with
remember pouring thickness,,and viscosity is two different things
Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Oil advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

remember pouring thickness,,and viscosity is two different things
Yea, I know starting on here is my research good info man.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT